Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PC Gaming Discussion

McPhee

I just reinstalled it this evening after getting a copy free with my Shogun II preorder. Hasn't aged well, particularly if you play more modern TW games. I'd wait for the inevitable Medieval II deal that will be on, that one stands the test of time quite well and there's loads of great mods out for it. The engine is still a bit behind Empire, but it doesn't feel stone-age like Rome does.

I'm hoping Creative Assembly bring us Rome II next in all honesty, the first was cracking game for it's time and it's probably the most interesting TW era due to the variety of troops and tactics being fielded across Europe at the time. I was disappointed they didn't go with it over Shogun II tbh.

I can honestly say, that Rift is a pretty fun MMO well worth playing. They're a little skimpy on their races. There are only 6 races, 3 to each faction, but what really shines is their class system. You pick the general archetypes Warrior Cleric Mage Rouge, but from there you end up picking 3 different subsets of that class. You can then divide points up between the 3 of them as you see fit. It's unique and can keep people from being identical in abilities. Right now the level cap is 50 so you can max out one soul and have 15 points left between the other 2, or never max out the one.

Also of note are the Rifts, they can open up "anywhere" and are basically group quests for everyone to participate in to try and close the rift. Similar to how Warhammer open quests worked, except those were on a timer and static (still fun as all get out though).

Completed Mafia II last night. That. Shit. Was. Awesome! I've noticed a lot of people complain that it's not "open world" enough, but personally I'm glad. The freedom is there, but because there's sod all to do the world doesn't detract from the story. I loved it for not being Grand Theft Auto, it's an action game with a great story, great cut-scenes and great voice acting, not a world sim with a criminal slant. I'd feel a bit cheated if I paid £40 for it though, the game lasts roughly 8 hours with little to no reason to replay.

Anyhow, if it goes on sale at a fiver again I urge anyone interested to just buy it. You're unlikely to regret the purchase.

Weekend Deal, Darksiders 75%. If you haven't played this game yet people, go get it.

A word of warning though, it's extent of graphics options extends to 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

Mind you, it's still pretty well optimized, but try and be somewhere near the specs listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Mafia I and II, plus all the Mafia II DLC are on sale for 75% off on steam right now. 2K is apparently going to have a game on sale every day this week, so we're most likely going to see, Borderlands, Bioshock and the Civilization series on sale at some point.

Edited by Emasher

Bioshock 1 and 2 are $5 each today.

I seem to be having incredible difficulty trying to get Bioshock to run. (I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit). Anyway, the first time I ran it, it worked fine, but once I got passed the cut scenes there was no audio. The consensus online seemed to be to run it in xp compatibility mode. I tried this for both SP2 and SP3, and in both cases the game wouldn't launch at all. Sometimes I would keep getting the "Preparing to launch Bioshock" dialog box coming up, then dismissing, and coming up again in an infinite loop. Sometimes the same thing would happen with the "Are you sure you want to let an unknown application from an unknown publisher..." dialog. Eventually it just started working for some reason, however, now it crashes every time I try to change the resolution.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Edit: Got it working by deleting: %appdata%/bioshock/bioshock.ini as well as changing the resolution in the default file in the same directory as the executable.

Edited by Emasher

I had that problem. Sorted it with the compatibility mode, though.

Anyways, just bought Vice City and the piece of crap won't acknowledge my mouse. I've tried both a wired and a wireless one. Any help??

The mouse will highlight stuff in the menu but won't register click and in game it does nothing, not even move the camera.

I had that problem. Sorted it with the compatibility mode, though.

Anyways, just bought Vice City and the piece of crap won't acknowledge my mouse. I've tried both a wired and a wireless one. Any help??

The mouse will highlight stuff in the menu but won't register click and in game it does nothing, not even move the camera.

I had the exact same problem. Once you launch the game, press Control+Shift+Escape to launch task manager, then go to the processes tab and quite windows explorer. It should work fine after that.

No, its just a file manager, try alt+tabing in and out of the game, quitting all other applications (not processes this time, actual applications), and if neither of those work, removing the config files from your documents folder (back up your saves first).

Hmm, I should boot it up again sometime, but last time, Bioshock was running fine as far I can remember (also on Windows 7 64 bit). No compatibility mode set.

Is your windows up-to-date?

I remember Bioshock woudn't run at first too, when I had just installed Windows 7.. After some time I tried again, and it worked perfectly, like I said. Perhaps it's an update your missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I got my PC fixed and returned to me four days ago, I've racked up a horrendous 48.1 hours on Steam. I feel absolutely filthy. Can barely remember how to speak, and on top of that, I'm really antsy and on edge because I decided to download STALKER again and give it a spin. Without a doubt the most terrifying game I have ever played.