NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

The problem with games posing as "Art" is that they're inevitably designed by either programmers or hipsters, and end up as a pathetically pretentious jumble of metaphors, or just plain trite.

Quick question.

Anybody bothering with Tera? I've pre-ordered, probably not going to be a game I invest in like I did with WoW, but it looks fun nonetheless.

Y'know, when the patch finishes..

Quick question.

Anybody bothering with Tera? I've pre-ordered, probably not going to be a game I invest in like I did with WoW, but it looks fun nonetheless.

Y'know, when the patch finishes..

Yeah im bothering with Tera. Aion was supposed to be my last Korean MMO ever but tried out tera (pre-ordered and got access to beta) and the combat is very fun. Makes pvp very interesting as people have to be facing you to actually hit you, and there is next to no "locking on" so people can't just sit a distance from you and nuke. And it's VERY pretty. Run's on the unreal engine so it's generally plays like a dream and shouldnt get too many glitches that mmo's are so accustom to.

One thing I love, it's very different to every other mmo I have played.

Well given my connection problems, I won't be on Tera this weekend, I'm gutted, but for some reason my internet is just being too slow to download Tera in time..

*see the Tech area*

Just wanted to say, my all out favourite game released last year - Portal 2 - is £7.49 on Steam. Total fuckin' steal, so hop to it, those who've yet to play.

Also, I say that it's my favourite game of last year having not played the Co-Op yet. If anyone would like to get on that ish with me, I'd be much obliged. Lezz set up a ventrilo channel and talk shit/ play some awesome puzzles.

The problem with games posing as "Art" is that they're inevitably designed by either programmers or hipsters, and end up as a pathetically pretentious jumble of metaphors, or just plain trite.

Actually I thought Dear Esther painted a very clear picture of the general story. The fine details are up to the player, for the most part, but the general outline is quite obvious.

I quite liked the "game". It's mor like an interactive tale than a game, but it's one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had recently.

It's not Journey, but it's quite the feat, I'd even call it a slight game changer, as it were.

I haven't played Dear Esther yet, I was just commenting as a generality about the snootyness of designers like Johnathan Blow. I'll give Esther a go at some point, sound like my kinda thing.

MMOs are for chumps.

Well that depends... on how hardcore an MMORPG you're playing. Some MMOs that are smaller like Phantasy Star Online don't require too much time and are pretty awesome. Whereas some attract that kind of antisocial nerd and require vast amounts of time, dedication and money.

I'm speaking solely in terms of the way they play: extremely watered down and largely tedius combat, and huge reliance on massive repetition of collect-10-of-this-or-that tasks.

Hmm, I would say a good MMO's dependence is on character customisation, min-maxing, social interaction and team plays. The missions in City of Heroes were as tedious as they get, but I enjoyed it for years because I had a team of regulars to play and chat with and go on epic long missions with, and you could re-roll a brand new, unique superhero/villain whenever you liked.

Well yeah, that's the trade off for the elements I mentioned before: The sense of ownership of a character you get to develop, and the social elements that you only really get the most of if you play regularly with a crew of people you know well. I'd rather have something like DMC instead because I play games to escape from people :heh:

EVE Online is the best MMO by far, there's none of those shitty, collect 10 of these quests.

For anyone who has played the first Witcher game (I dont know if this changes in the second one) which of the two control schemes would you say is the best? Im sure just mouse is probably just the more simplistic of the two but does mouse and keyboard offer that much more that its worth it?

Playing with the mouse and keyboard makes the game control just like Mass Effect/Dragon Age/other current RPGs on the PC.

Playing with just the mouse apparently turns the whole thing into an isometric game, if that's your kind of thing. I haven't tried it myself, though, as I like having the camera closer and I assume you'd still want to use the keyboard for shortcuts.

Edit: Not that you'll read this.

Edited by Magnus

Holy shit, I've been playing Tribes Ascend for an hour or so, and it's incredible. Get on that shit people, it's free to play.

EVE Online is the best MMO by far, there's none of those shitty, collect 10 of these quests.

I’ve always been interested in Eve, but I simply don’t have the money for it. I was planning to make use of the trial though.

For anyone who has played the first Witcher game (I dont know if this changes in the second one) which of the two control schemes would you say is the best? Im sure just mouse is probably just the more simplistic of the two but does mouse and keyboard offer that much more that its worth it?

I don’t think I really tried the mouse-only controls. The game itself says the mouse plus keyboard controls is for “more advanced” players (if I recall correctly), so I stuck with that. Feels more familar too. Just the mouse seems too limiting too me.

Why the fuck is nobody playing Tribes: Ascend? It is godly.

Haven’t kept up with the news.. Didn’t know this one was out, I’ll download it this weekend perhaps (what’s the filesize?).

I don’t think I really tried the mouse-only controls. The game itself says the mouse plus keyboard controls is for “more advanced” players (if I recall correctly), so I stuck with that. Feels more familar too. Just the mouse seems too limiting too me.

Yeah I bought the game a few days ago and went with the keyboard and mouse controls

After reading my advice, clearly. :hehe:

One thing I'm finding really annoying in The Witcher is that some characters move around, but the quest log only points out one possible location. I ran around all over the city looking for a dwarf until I finally found him in a place that I'd checked several times before, but apparently not at the exact time he's there.

It wasn't anywhere close to where the quest log said he'd be. :blank:

Also, poker sucks.

Why the fuck is nobody playing Tribes: Ascend? It is godly.

Just played for a bit.. Can’t really say it’s my game, but it’s entirely possible that’s because I haven’t unlocked the good stuff. The starting weapons from the starting classes aren’t really interesting. The one with the “grenade launcher” seems best to me.. Lob a grenade where your opponent is going to land. The other weapons don’t work for me, everyone is moving so fast. I’ll give it some more time, unlock some of the other stuff, but so far I’m not impressed.

Speaking of Free-to-play shooters.. I should check out Blacklight 2, unless that’s still in beta.