N-Europe

Is the Nintendo Kids image gone?

mcj metroid

This is a very old topic But one that hasn't been asked for a while. Is the critism of Wii being kiddy gone? Has the gimmick argument replaced it?

We all know of this image that started maybe arounf the Snes era. the megadrive made the snes look a little kiddy from altered beast which had a half naked man on the box.

This continued through the n64 era where sony tried their hand at it.. for them it worked a lot.

I have to say I am glad Nintendo lost to sony at the time. If Nintendo had always been leader would Gaming still only be for kids and obssessive nerds?

the question is did it disappear now that we have the dslite and the wii. The consoles look a lot more advanced and ''mature'' I guess.

The advertising is better. The games are more violent this time(One even got banned) I believe if it's not gone it's very close.

What do you guys think? Do you still hear people critising Nintendo for their childish console.

I think Nintendo have finally cracked the family market they've been persuing for so long, and that's the family in a very real sense. Those accusiations of being "kiddy" were always as a result of attempting to make they're games family - and, by extension - kid friendly. Now that they've succesfully marketed to consumers both considerably older and younger then the usual video game demograph, being "kiddie" is hardly a valid argument that can be leveled at them.

I've not really heard anyone say their kiddy this generation. I mean, even some of my mates parents who care not for video gaming talk about how the Wii looks appealing to them and when I told them it's the same company as the GameCube and N64 they were shocked.

I don't honestly think the games have changed, just that the console now doesn't look like a school childs lunch box, and Nintendo are marketing themselves much better and changing the publics perception.

I don't think Nintendo were ever kiddy. Super Mario Bros for example was a family game created to be played by adults and kids alike. However during the birth of the gaming industry it was largely a pursuit of children rather than adults. Nintendo havn't changed all that much down the years, preferring to refine the same gaming experience over and over again, giving the now grown up fans what they want still.

Other parts of the gaming market have shifted more with the times and that is why we now see more adult games created and as we all get older these are presumably the sort of games we should want to play. This clearly isn't the case, and thats where Nintendo come in. They have never been a kiddy company they have been a family company, in Japan that has clearly been their vision since the beginning with the FAMICOM (Family Computer) and Super FAMICOM name for what we know as NES and SNES surely proving this.

It is only now that Nintendo's family approach to gaming is truly working as we see a shift from gaming being the geeks hobby to a more acceptable and socialable pass time, hence why we are seeing the mass penetration of the Wii to the types of demographics that wouldn't usually have been seen dead with a console i.e your "Alpha" Mums (hate saying that!), OAPS, normally non playing females etc...

I think the kiddy image has gone, and a "suitable for everyone" image has replaced it, which in my opinion is a good thing. The only people who have a problem with the new image are the so-called hardcore who don't want these games for everyone and may still call nintendo kiddy occasionally. in the general public, no one has a problem with Nintendo, and everyone knows what a Wii is and is interested, unlike the gamecube and other traditional typer games consoles which don't intrigue the general public as much.

Maybe so. Funny thing is I got a friend who has a PS2 and he's been gaming pretty much since the Spectrum days, although he is a casual gamer, meaning he rarely finishes a game and he downloads them just because he can.

Anyway, what's funny is that he thinks I'm pretty biased toward Nintendo (which is somewhat true... :heh: ) and he is of the opinion that Nintendo is kiddy. But then I see him all happy playing Simpsons games on his PS2. If that's not ironic, I'm a Ninja Turtle.

I was once criticised for owning a GameCube over a PS2. I was made fun of for believing that the DS could pose a threat to the PSP and for even looking at stories and pictures of the Wii. How times change.

I convinced at least 8 people to buy a DS and most of those are now considering the Wii. The kiddy image is shaken.

This is a very old topic But one that hasn't been asked for a while. Is the critism of Wii being kiddy gone? Has the gimmick argument replaced it?

We all know of this image that started maybe arounf the Snes era. the megadrive made the snes look a little kiddy from altered beast which had a half naked man on the box.

This continued through the n64 era where sony tried their hand at it.. for them it worked a lot.

I have to say I am glad Nintendo lost to sony at the time. If Nintendo had always been leader would Gaming still only be for kids and obssessive nerds?

the question is did it disappear now that we have the dslite and the wii. The consoles look a lot more advanced and ''mature'' I guess.

The advertising is better. The games are more violent this time(One even got banned) I believe if it's not gone it's very close.

What do you guys think? Do you still hear people critising Nintendo for their childish console.

Yeah i ment to post a thread like this a while ago, i think the kiddy image has pretty much gone now. They tried to get rid of it by having Resi Evil on the Cube but it didn't work. But i think they have manged to get rid of it this time :smile:

I don't think Nintendo were ever kiddy. Super Mario Bros for example was a family game created to be played by adults and kids alike. However during the birth of the gaming industry it was largely a pursuit of children rather than adults. Nintendo havn't changed all that much down the years, preferring to refine the same gaming experience over and over again, giving the now grown up fans what they want still.

Other parts of the gaming market have shifted more with the times and that is why we now see more adult games created and as we all get older these are presumably the sort of games we should want to play. This clearly isn't the case, and thats where Nintendo come in. They have never been a kiddy company they have been a family company, in Japan that has clearly been their vision since the beginning with the FAMICOM (Family Computer) and Super FAMICOM name for what we know as NES and SNES surely proving this.

It is only now that Nintendo's family approach to gaming is truly working as we see a shift from gaming being the geeks hobby to a more acceptable and socialable pass time, hence why we are seeing the mass penetration of the Wii to the types of demographics that wouldn't usually have been seen dead with a console i.e your "Alpha" Mums (hate saying that!), OAPS, normally non playing females etc...

This is the truth.

gaming has NEVER been only for kids and obsessive nerds. where did you get that idea? just because nintendo is now drilling into new demographics doesn't mean they were absent before. and i am still to be convinced that the more casual approach of things is in my advantage as a hardcore gamer.

gaming has NEVER been only for kids and obsessive nerds. where did you get that idea? just because nintendo is now drilling into new demographics doesn't mean they were absent before. and i am still to be convinced that the more casual approach of things is in my advantage as a hardcore gamer.

I'm talking from an outside point of view. Most people thought Nintendo gaming was for kids.

Why does everyone in England have some sort of problem when people use an American phrase?

It's not like i said

"Will you come fix my faucet, it's been broken since fall!"

God fucking damn

yamn... this is a Wii thread can you NOT talk shit for 2 seconds?