Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

More Merrick: N may never reveal specs

Innovance

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12670

nintendo may never reveal the specs of the revolution. But i guess it would just be formally announcing them cos after all the developers and have got kits and the thing is released eventully someone is going to reveal the specs. While its a good idea in theory as well as a refreshing change, in practice it just give the impressionof being weaker. not to me but you know how the general consensus will see it.

it makes sense. no one cares how many mhz the chips in their microwaves, watches, dvd players, sound systems, washing machines etc are, just so long as they do what they are meant to do.

the stats are fairly redundant now, since the graphics will increasingly be limited only by the expertise and size of the teams creating the games.

also with increasingly complex inards the specs are less meaningful than ever - even look at this generation, xbox was something like 8 times more powerful than the PS2 by stupid numbers, and 2 times better than the cube. that (imo) was not translated into a n equivalent meaningful comparison. in english, it didn't look all that much more powerful. probably because it wasn't.

Merrick said that the development of Revolution instalments in the Zelda, Mario, Metroid Prime and Smash Brothers series is "progressing well", and reaffirmed that not all games will use the "freehand" style remote controller alone - there's also the "classic-style expansion controller."

“This option is there for new games that will be created that are most suited to a traditional style of controller. We are not trying to say that the ‘traditional’ controller design is not valid, in fact Nintendo is responsible for most of the features that are found on today’s traditional controllers," Merrick pointed out.

Always Great to hear that all the key franchises are underway!

And it's reassuring again to hear that third parties can use the 'classic-style expansion controller'!

Sometimes i feel that journalists etc... forget about this when talking about the Rev!

When they show some kick-ass games , the specs wont matter, though some anal tech-head will tear one apart and announce the specs on their blog. I agree though, its real fitting of Nintendo to dismiss the specs, once its in your house, you wont care.

But we need to know what the console is capable of, otherwise we cant really imagine what the possibilities are for games...How big levels could be and etc...

Well unless you are a Techno-Freak HOW would you know anyway? I mean can you map out the size of your average Gamecube Level by knowing some Numbers! No you can't, and the same applies to Revo.

I think the truth is that Revo is Less than 360 and PS3, and Nintendo don't want to bugger things up by admitting this to shallow people who are just after BIGGER NUMBERS!

They are going to show their games, show you how it works and then the numbers wont matter. We don't NEED to be able to predict how big Revo games will be, thats completely pointless!!! Its obvious they will be fairly Big... Excuses, Excuses

we know what the cube is capable of. it will be more capable than that. look at the worst games on the cube (graphically) and compare them to RE4. thats the gap I predict between 1st gen of next gen games, and games such as RE4.

the only unknown is the controller, and whether that will affect how much time is spent on graphics/AI etc.

Apart from the fact that many XBox / Playstation fans will say this is Nintendo admitting that their machine is the weakest, it really wouldn't bother me if the stats weren't announced. Like many other people have said, I don't understand them at all, anyway.

Look at it this way. if M$ released no specks and showed us thoes crappy ass grafix no one would be wanting it as much, trust me. In releasing no specks it seems nintendo is being a bit cocky.they are telling us, when you see the games you will be blown away, or, it just dosnt matter.

I'd like to know the specs - they've pretty much already said its going to be the weakest of the 3 consoles so they have nothing to lose.

All the same I'm pretty sure the specs will come out, software companys will the specs and I'm sure someone working for one will leak it sooner or later.