N-Europe

I'm furious at Nintendo AS A PUBLISHER...

Dilli Gee

Blue Dragon sucked apparently, Bioshock isn't an exclusive, Lost Odyssey looks like a FF-ripoff, and Bioware haven't done anything decent since the Baldur's Gates (which are more Black Isle than Bioware, iirc). So am I tempted to buy a 360? Hell no. Am I disappointed with and furious at Nintendo? Hell no.

Blue Dragon is a mixed bag - if you're into JRPGs, its paradise. If you're a casual gamer, it's too long and boring at times.

Bioshock is an exclusive to Xbox 360 and Vista, as Microsoft paid for the game. It's also the best mother-fucking game of the year so far!

Lost Odyssey is made by the same people as Final Fantasy, so that might be why it looks similar, but it's a JRPG (as opposed to normal RPG).

Bioware made KOTOR. They're some of the best games, ever.

I personally think Nintendo should out-source more mature games. MGS does that a lot, and it means each game is generally of a better quality, and they can produce more of them.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are tonnes of third party games on 360, I was on about exclusive titles.

Yeah, I know, but the problem is this:

fps2jg9.jpg

Seven hot games. Certainly X360 has a good line-up, but only on certain categories. This is also main reason why it is pacing behind Xbox in sales. Three JRPGs don't change the fact that X360's lineup is quite amerocentric. During first year of X360, you mostly had driving games, and second string FPSs. And years AAA titles were shooters too. If you didn't like shooters, your X360 was mostly collecting dust.

It all takes off in September, I mean I'm looking at 3 games a month from then on in.

Half the games you mentioned aren't exclusive to - or even on - the Wii.

Three JRPGs don't change the fact that X360's lineup is quite amerocentric, and that I'm not really that fond of amerocentric games.

2 FPS, 3 RPGs, 1 racing title - that's quite diverse imo.

And both Halo 3 and Bioshock aren't conventional FPS, because they're more adventure quests that just happen to be in the first person (like Oblivion).

My only issue with X360 is it doesn't particularly cater to children, or young audiences. Yeah, sure, Viva Pinata sold a lot and stuff, but Nintendo is the place to go for family/children games.

Wasn't viva pinata a flop? Hence DS loving

No, it did okay. It had an 85% Game Rankings score, and sold a few of hundred thousand copies (nothing big, but not bad either).

However, the TV series was a success, so Microsoft decided they want to do sequels based off of the TV's storyline (and not the first game). The first sequel comes out soon.

The DS version of the original game is just to cash-in on the brand identity. Plus the original game lends itself pretty well to the DS controls.

Oh, and there's a Viva Pinata movie in the works too. Plus it looks like Banjo Kazooie might become a TV series too.

Microsoft has etched a successful partnership with 4Kids TV. The games provide free advertising for the TV shows, which equals very good ratings, which results in successful sequel games, etc.

The second Viva Pinata game is another exclusive coming out this year on 360, to tie in with Season 2 of the series.

Back on topic:

Should Nintendo out-source more projects?

I say they should, because they've had too many dry spells this year.

Fair do's about mr popularity pinata.

Nintendo outsource is a difficult one. It's good and bad. I personally feel the in-house developers should be responsible for the 'traditional' IP's like Mario/ Zelda. Purely as they have such a good track record and the suits in Nintendo can keep a close watch on progress and standards. Outsourcing should be for new franchises like disaster and hammer. Look at SEGA's Sonic problems in the 90's when they outsourced Sonic. Yuji Naka wanted his baby back and everything went tits up.

It's sometimes harder to collaborate on things than it is to produce something on your own. I guess it's all about the dynamics of teamwork. If companies get it right their can be positive results and 'freshness' put into the IP. Look at F-Zero GX/Oracle Zelda games for proof.

I'm happy with a balance.

Bioshock is an exclusive to Xbox 360 and Vista, as Microsoft paid for the game. It's also the best mother-fucking game of the year so far!

Lost Odyssey is made by the same people as Final Fantasy, so that might be why it looks similar, but it's a JRPG (as opposed to normal RPG).

Bioshock works on XP, too. Plus, it's massively overrated. It feels way to samey as other games.

Lost Odyssey is made by the company behind Blue Dragon. It has nothing to do with Final Fantasy whatsoever.

MGS does that a lot

No. It waits for other companies to have good ideas, then snaps them up. Out-sourcing requires the publishing company to have the idea first.

It's sometimes harder to collaborate on things than it is to produce something on your own. I guess it's all about the dynamics of teamwork. If companies get it right their can be positive results and 'freshness' put into the IP. Look at F-Zero GX/Oracle Zelda games for proof.

On the other side, look at Star Fox Armada and Mario Kart Arcade.

Yeah, I know, but the problem is this:

fps2jg9.jpg

Seven hot games. Certainly X360 has a good line-up, but only on certain categories. This is also main reason why it is pacing behind Xbox in sales. Three JRPGs don't change the fact that X360's lineup is quite amerocentric. During first year of X360, you mostly had driving games, and second string FPSs. And years AAA titles were shooters too. If you didn't like shooters, your X360 was mostly collecting dust.

hahaha lol.

Half the games you mentioned aren't exclusive to - or even on - the Wii.

And this is supposed to bother me how? I listed the DS ones to emphasise that Nintendo are doing more then just catering for one console (and cause I own a DS). But so what they're not exclusive? Does that mean you're not going to buy them or something? Seriously what the hell were you trying to suggest :S.

The list was lacking alot more games released around this time frame, but yet to have 100% definite release dates.

Should Nintendo out-source more projects?

I say they should, because they've had too many dry spells this year.

I don't know, it's never really worked in the past for them (minus Rare's great games), but it's also very difficult for them to just find a developement team who are skilled enough and free to do so. They've outsourced quite alot of games in the past and non have really been as good as anything made in-house, so I don't think it would help solve this guys problem.

I do think it's important Nintendo try and pick up a few more new IP's exclusively to it's system though. Games like Mushroom Men and Sadness are by new indie developers who I'm sure Nintendo could get 100% commitment from if they tried to set up a relationship, but then we don't really know what happens behind the scenes anyway.

With Retro Studio's now working on a new IP, and Monolith owned by Nintendo I think Nintendo have a large enough amount of studio's to get along fine. The third parties seem to be on there way too.

Okay, though I gotta ask...Should I be looking forward to Super Paper Mario? Just completed the N64 version yesterday and am very impressed by it, but this new platformer take with a lack of turn based battles has me worried.

I also did not enjoy Metroid Prime, would I like MP3? I guess I'm a bit 'worried' too but far from "furious" - year 1 is still pretty decent...

The only thing with me is that I simply don't have the time to own two consoles and so expect the one console I do get to cater all my gaming needs. I must say the 360 is tempting with its latest stack of rpgs, ex-ps3 exclusives and tight online.

Okay, though I gotta ask...Should I be looking forward to Super Paper Mario? Just completed the N64 version yesterday and am very impressed by it, but this new platformer take with a lack of turn based battles has me worried.

I also did not enjoy Metroid Prime, would I like MP3? I guess I'm a bit 'worried' too but far from "furious" - year 1 is still pretty decent...

The only thing with me is that I simply don't have the time to own two consoles and so expect the one console I do get to cater all my gaming needs. I must say the 360 is tempting with its latest stack of rpgs, ex-ps3 exclusives and tight online.

Super Paper Mario looks good I think, I haven't played the previous Two (I keep meaning too but can't ever get around too it). The new one shouldn't be taken as a sequel though, just a completely new adventure which will probably be enjoyable, but albeit pretty short and simple. Apparently it has lots of replay value though.

Metroid Prime 3 is probably hit or miss, I wouldn't be too worried anyway as Phantom Hourglass should fill the gap between October and Mario Galaxy.

And yeah, I'd love to have a 360 / ps3, hell I could afford one easily, but I'd never have the time to play them and the Wii and DS are much cheaper for my gaming fix. No doubt I would have had a 360 by now if I had as much time as I used too. I would imagine the Wii-DS combo is enough for me now anyway, there's too many games coming out once Super PAper Mario kicks things off.

I can understand why those in the Wii60 movement are finding it difficult to switch on the Wii for anything other than weather forecasts ;p,..Quiet simply the depth in scope 360 games have to offer overwhelmes Wii games, even the likes of TP. And then you have deeper online contents and with demos and such...That so-called 'Nintendo difference' doesn't seem so relevent anymore. Praises where its due; Microsoft are churning out games at their expense and attracting more interest from once loyal developers and fans alike - they are surely working harder to dominate and it surely is paying off...Can't really say the same for Nintendo at this point, even with the few 1st party games some of you will squeal out, because for everyone of them theres like 2-3 360 games worth the same price.

I have to admit I am with Dilli Gee in some respects. There are games I want don't get me wrong Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 being the two I am dieing to play but then there are other games I am only curious about and not really into whereas there tons of games I really want to play for 360 (a problem considering I don't own one.

I think part of the problem is I ave lost my enthusiasm somewhat for the Wii as there has been so little to play apart from Resident Evil 4 (which I think may have over taken OoT as my fav game). I really wanted Super Paper Mario but now my desire has gone to play this...don't know why...

I have to admit I am with Dilli Gee in some respects. There are games I want don't get me wrong Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 being the two I am dieing to play but then there are other games I am only curious about and not really into whereas there tons of games I really want to play for 360 (a problem considering I don't own one.

I think part of the problem is I ave lost my enthusiasm somewhat for the Wii as there has been so little to play apart from Resident Evil 4 (which I think may have over taken OoT as my fav game). I really wanted Super Paper Mario but now my desire has gone to play this...don't know why...

I think it's just the drought getting us down, I was very much the same until Wednesday when I bought a DS with Pokemon. It's just reminded me of how great Nintendo games still are when they get things right, and now it's got me hyped for a Wii line up I can see more games then I have free time for.

I do think Super Paper Mario should help get you hyped again for the Wii line up, I know Pokemon has done just that for me. I would love a 360 and it has got some games I want, but I know I won't ever have the time to play it, and it's completely pointless when the Wii and DS have more games then I have time for.

So yeah, I'd say risk buying Super Paper Mario and from there on you should be hyped, if the WIi is still boring by xmas then you could easily ebay it for profit (bound to be sold out during Xmas) and get a 360, but I know personally I will be more concerned about if I have enough time to play all the games I want :).

Jesus Christ...

Everybody complaining about too few good titles charming the Wii... What the hell's the matter with you people? It's the bloody console's first year in the business, there's never been this much mainstream attention for a Ninty console since Nintendo owned the stream, and now that they're climbing back out of that dark hole of, let's face it, second and first party bliss, people are still complaining? People of whom I'd have thought to have more maturity than that, even. Damn dudes :)

Even still, even if it were so that Nintendo didn't release quality titles on a regular basis, don't you lot have real lives to tend to? Women? Men? Social interactivity? Jobs?

I currently have four games on my Wii: Zelda, R:RR, Wii Sports and Rampage. And I haven't finished any one of them, nor have I tired from them.

It's times like these I get why certain gamers only let themselves play an hour or two a day: calculated joy due to the fear of having no passtime at all.

Pardon for this totally off-topic rant, and apologies offered if needed.

Why don't we open a subforum for topics like this?