N-Europe

Mushroom Men: The Spore War

Retro_Link

mushroom-men-20070530011852301.jpg

First [Developer] Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24323.html

Some older info from IGN:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/804/804918p1.html

Mushroom Men traffics in pure fantasy -- the mushroom designs are wonderfully quirky, complete with glowing green eyes, rolled leaf backpacks, and multiple caps that stretch high above character heads. (Imagine the Ents, but much, much smaller.) The bad mushrooms are particularly nasty, looking like little nightmares with red peepers and combat horrible poses. The mushrooms are not the only sentient vegetation in the game. Players will interact with self-aware kudzu and a cactus gang called Los Cactos.

You see the world from the three-inch vantage point -- humans are colossi that throw long shadows across the landscape. The mushrooms scavenge human artifacts to create their buildings and equipment. Train tracks are composed of discarded clothespins. Weapons are assembled from staple removers and corn cob holders. In fact, players will take an active role in developing weapons from recovered human objects, working to build gear that will put the poisonous mushrooms under the dirt.

The brief game clips showed off an emphasis on exploration. The levels look quite large, such as a stage set inside a human house. The mushroom hero scurries across the floor and then fires a sticky line to climb a box. The goal is a box across a gap, so the mushroom makes a leap of faith and then glides through the air, using his mushroom cap as a parachute.

Even though Red Fly is developing Mushroom Men for the Wii, the art team is creating all of the textures are models in high-res should Gamecock want to game to cross over to either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 in the future. The Wii and DS editions of Mushroom Men are skedded for release in 2008. Redfly expects the DS version to lead the Wii version by about six weeks.

This game looks to have some good potential, seems like it might be a bit of a cross between Batallion Wars and Chibi Robo with platforming aswell!

And with a Fall 2008 release, there's still a years work to do on the title (which even at this early stage is at a visual standard of many Third Party games)!

If they achieve the graphics of the running character models shown in that video, the game will achieve a Kameo standard.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Original? Check.

Interesting? Check.

Quirky/Charismatic World? Check.

The foundations of a great game are here. I really hope this game can live up to the hype.

To me, the gameplay sounds like a Pikmin/Age of Empires hybrid with some customization in the middle. Sounds great.

Im saying I think that video looks too good for Wii.
You're joking right?!

That's a really early build of the game, they even say so at the start!

The high-res character models are the only thing from that trailer that look to have been created with a possible future 360/PS3 version in mind!

"Third person action platform hybrid" to me sounds nothing like Pikmin or Age Of Empires.

Ooops. My mistake. When I first read that I thought it was a strategy/action hybrid.

After seeing the trailer, I take back my previous statement. It looks like a Platformer/Pikmin hybrid. A platformer set in a small world filled with plants and fungi, where collecting stuff is vital for your progress.

So then you agree the video looks too good for the Wii?
No! You've seen Galaxy etc... right!

The only thing that currently looks high-end graphics wise are the character test models! and as the article says...

the art team is creating all of the textures are models in high-res should Gamecock want to game to cross over to either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3
...those are the things being given the most attention so that a 360/PS3 version isn't out the question should they choose to do one.

There isn't currently a 360/PS3 version, so all the gameplay footage in that video is Wii and DS.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It reminds me of the later Rayman platform games for some reason (not a bad thing), but it is looking pretty cool. Another one I need to keep up with, but this is definitely one of the more positive ones for me

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!