NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Domstercool

New Revolution information! Confirmed by Jim Merrick of NoE

...I'm a bit sceptical about the one-disc multiplayer for Revolution, it has to be said. If it does happen, it's sure to be with a lot of features taken out (like only being able to play a few tracks and only playing as Shy Guy in single cart Mario Kart DS).

I think this could be brilliant, with this feature on my DS I've convinced 3 friends to get Advance Wars DS , initially there weren't going to pick it up (didn't like the look of it) but after a bit of battling they're in love with the game and have bought it now.

It'll advertise the games to those who don't have them, like a demo of the game.

14 weeks is still over 3 months though! Europe will be last, like always! I know there trying their best and all, and releasing the Revolution the same month worldwide would be EXTREMELY difficult, but i'm not impressed, even though it's a HUGE difference over other Nintendo launches! :wink:

So Japan could get it June, followed by America then we get it like September time?

I'll be importing if thats the case! Hopefully the consoles are region-free or something....and like a USA console can work on the UK internet, like the DS...

It's too early to tell what i'll be doing.

:awesome:

with this download thing im sure thats where the 512 flash memory comes in, to temperarely(sp?) store the games so i wonder where these downloaded games will be?

This (although not great for us) may be good for Nintendo.

If they release it in Japan first (the Japanese market are the ones most likely to snap it up by the bucket load, lets face it!) and it sells really well, a 3 month gap would be healthy.

Europe would see how well it's doing and it's more likely to catch on to more and more people as a result of this. It just needs the right marketing too!

Mario RPG! Can't wait! Earthbound! I can't wait!!!

Apart from that the other news ain't to exciting.

YAY!!! great news

By the way, nintendo published Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, and if they dont change the games contents, but just the framerates, they can put them up for downloading, or even sell them out of shops. I hope they have LAN enabled, and have it as 8P

14 weeks is still over 3 months though! Europe will be last, like always! I know there trying their best and all, and releasing the Revolution the same month worldwide would be EXTREMELY difficult, but i'm not impressed, even though it's a HUGE difference over other Nintendo launches! :wink:

So Japan could get it June, followed by America then we get it like September time?

I'll be importing if thats the case! Hopefully the consoles are region-free or something....and like a USA console can work on the UK internet, like the DS...

It's too early to tell what i'll be doing.

:awesome:

Europe is always last because the Video gaming industry in this region of the world isnt as big as america and asia. Sure they know the Ninty fans will automatically buy it no matter the location, but they need to do alot of advertising to achieve their goal. New and old players interested in the gaming market is what they want to achieve.

Great news, but I hope we dont have to wait atleast 3 months for it...i'l be happy with 1 or 2, but DS took fricken ages.

Dammit I thought they meant within 14 weeks as of now :p

Now THAT would have rocked!

And by the way, Europe isn't last because of market share :s We're always last because of all the languages we got here. And heck, who says Europe will be last? We're getting mariokart before japan aren't we!

Europe is always last because the Video gaming industry in this region of the world isnt as big as america and asia. Sure they know the Ninty fans will automatically buy it no matter the location, but they need to do alot of advertising to achieve their goal. New and old players interested in the gaming market is what they want to achieve.

Great news, but I hope we dont have to wait atleast 3 months for it...i'l be happy with 1 or 2, but DS took fricken ages.

Yeah but the EU market has the biggest potential left!

Some new tidbits from the interview:

- the USB dongle will be sold at stores on europe, no online crap

on revolution wifi:

- there is alot of features on the board that still being discussed, some of them are: temprary game rentals before purchase, demo downloads, trailers

- DS compatible with Revolution

on revolution games:

- third partys already have fully funtional devkits very oriented to the final product and TGS-alike controllers

- let's say a football game like FIFA who is on PS3 and Xbox360 aswell, when ported to revolution they want to include newoptions like calculate the angle on free kicks tilting the controller, make driftings with quick controller movements, pointing to the screen when shooting penalty kicks, etc..

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=69348&page=3

Nothing really surprising, as I have stated highly possible launch periods already.

But the reason why we won't see any game footage in 05 is still strange to me. Come on Nintendo not even a little 30 second teaser trailer show titles in development. But the reason that Nintendo would say that is because Nintendo probally don't want to just show trailers(Sony-PS3) when they unviel the games they want gameplay footage also. Don't get me wrong they could show game footage next week if they wanted to but Nintendo are all about quality they will not show titles that aren't at a good stage like what Microsoft did with 360.

We got the info before end of October as I thought and also Reggie may make an appearence on G4TV.com the show soon, NoA are working on it and it's possible it may happen before the 360 launch. More small new info in November and December. With The first Game footage coming in early 06 before E3 06, probally in March. Possibally earlier that that like in Feb. or Jan.

14 weeks is still over 3 months though! Europe will be last, like always!

Actually. I reckon Australia might get it last.

this is is good news i recon and especially the news about the graphics being on par with other systems not that it bothers me but i know the casual gamer wants brilliant graphics! bit gutted though about no games being shown this year as i was hoping to see mario 128 as been hearing about it for 4 years now!

Uuuu guys... not to advertise or anything... but a new Miyamoto interview is really turning some heads :/

In the future, what do you think video games will be like?

"It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs. But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that."

Posted a little news item about it: http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/3979197

I know, fock the what? This is one misterious comment.

Fuck sakes this is about Nintendo On isn't it? You guys look into things way too much on the Moz La Punk forums. I really hope this comment is fake.

What happened to showing everything by the end of the year? How are you suppose to show how stuff works without showing games? Nintendo is starting to tick me off and making me want to get the Xbox 360 because they show nothing.

Uuuu guys... not to advertise or anything... but a new Miyamoto interview is really turning some heads :/

"It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs. But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that."

this is not Necessarily refering to the ON video.

I think it is more closely linked to what we were saying about 3D stero...summat where it looks like the action go's beyond the boundaries of a TV screen.

Fuck sakes this is about Nintendo On isn't it? You guys look into things way too much on the Moz La Punk forums. I really hope this comment is fake.

Closed minded people like you who go on about how ON is fake whenever it's about a Revolution rumour are getting on my nerves. Like others said, this isnt nessecairly about ON.

That makes the chance of Steroscopic 3D even more likely.

Yep, read the full interview on ign forums. Here goes for those of you who can't log on there:

Meet Mario's Papa

Legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto talks how he aims to bring the family together around Nintendo's new console

As the brains behind the video games at Nintendo, Shigeru Miyamoto has shown a knack for inventing games that kids would get hooked on. In 1985, his Super Mario Bros. -- the world's hottest-selling game ever -- was the first with a scrolling screen, which expanded the playing space vertically, not just horizontally. The next year, he came up with the labyrinthine fantasy world called The Legend of Zelda, which could take skilled gamers hours, and sometimes weeks, to complete. And in the 1990s, his Super Mario 64 was the first console title with 3D graphics. It even forced him to tweak the

Miyamoto, 52, recently spoke with BusinessWeek Tokyo Correspondent Kenji Hall about video games, how they have changed, and what to expect in the future. Edited excerpts of their conversation follow:

What do you think was the biggest innovation in video games since the 1980s?

The biggest change was when 3D graphics came to Nintendo 64 and PlayStation. Before that, arcades had the edge in game technology. In the pecking order, game consoles for homes came last. 3D changed that and made home consoles the front-runner.

But I had no idea how quickly technology would change everything. Economies of scale were allowing game hardware makers to spend lots of money to develop new consoles. Suddenly, we were working with consoles that were 10 times faster than anything I had ever imagined, and the disk-storage space was vast.

What's the secret to creating a hit game?

Whether it's a new game or a sequel, we want anyone to be able to play right away. That's why I think Rubik's Cube was so brilliant. I saw it for the first time at a toy convention in Japan in the early 1980s. The moment you see a Rubik's Cube, you know you're supposed to twist the pieces. And it's beautifully designed. Even if you've never handled one, you want to pick it up and try it. And once you do that, it's hard to walk away until you've solved it.

Supercomputing power has improved game graphics to the point where characters can be made to appear almost lifelike. But the characters in your games are mostly cartoons. Why?

Nowadays, software makers want games to be so realistic, but first and foremost games should evoke emotions. When I made Pikmin, I wanted people to feel a mix of sadness and happiness. The Japanese word itoshii is used when you think fondly of someone. You wouldn't normally feel that when playing games, but that's what I was striving for.

Games aren't just about recreation and getting to the next stage. People often tell me nobody would play a game that isn't that way -- it would be too boring. But I don't agree with them (see BW Online, 10/13/05, "Indie Gamers Hit the Right Buttons").

Does Nintendo target a certain age group with its games?

We want our games to be for anyone from 5 to 95 years old (see BW Online, 10/19/05, "Attack of the Gaming Grannies").

We disagree with people who say, "Nintendo is for kids, and Sony (SNE ) is for adults." There are plenty of 60-year-olds who will play the games we make. Women in their 20s haven't been a major target for game makers. But many young women have found our games fun, especially Nintendogs.

What's the most important ingredient in your games?

The most basic element is fun. Games are interactive. They must challenge you, and reward you when you rise to the challenge. In my view, the game begins the moment a person touches a console -- everything builds from that.

When I first started creating games, I mainly wanted to make something that would surprise people. Actually, I never imagined I would be making video games. I thought I would be designing toys, like Dr. Rubik of Rubik's Cube.

Where do you get ideas for your games?

It's hard to remember. Sometimes I rely on childhood experiences. For instance, what did I find scary? Some ideas are spontaneous, some come from notes I've kept. I used write down things I saw or heard on a Post-it, which I would stick in my scheduling book. It could be a game or something funny on TV I saw, or a story I heard someone tell.

Do you remember how you came up with Super Mario Bros.?

It started with a simple idea. I thought: "I wonder what it would be like to have a character that bounces around. And the background should be a clear, blue sky." I took that idea to a programmer, and we started working on it.

Mario ended up being too big, so we shrank him. Then we thought, "What if he can grow and shrink? How would he do that? It would have to be a magic mushroom! Where would a mushroom grow? In a forest." We thought of giving Mario a girlfriend, and then we started talking about Alice in Wonderland.

How will Nintendo's next-generation platform, Revolution, differ from others?

Most people think video games are all about a child staring at a TV with a joystick in his hands. I don't. They should belong to the entire family. I want families to play video games together. That was the concept behind the Revolution (see BW Online, 10/4/05, "Nintendo's Revolutionary Man").

I also redesigned the Revolution's controller to look more like a regular TV remote, so anyone who saw it would know instantly how to use it, and so they wouldn't think they had to always stash it away.

Do you have a favorite video game?

The only time I play is maybe the 20 minutes I spend testing rivals' new machines. I don't play video games in my free time. On the weekends, I fix things around the house, garden, or play the guitar. Or I'll exercise, go swimming, take the dog for a walk, or go for a hike.

It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs. But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that.

You've been called the Steven Spielberg of video games. Recently, some gamers have been making movies using game software. Are games and movies converging?

It's a common comparison, but I don't think it's an appropriate one because movies aren't interactive the way games are. Even so, I've learned a lot from movies. For instance, I pay attention to how movies use music to create a mood, how many camera angles there are, or how the director sets up a scary scene.

going on the basis of 3 months approx.(or a business quarter) its only gonna be either Q2(july, aug, sep) or Q3(Oct, Nov, Dec) if they make the time scale and don't over run into 2007. Both seem good in different ways, Q2, you have the hype from E3, this is my personal opinion of a good place to launch(plus we'd get it sooner), but you also have christmas at the other end Q3, its all upto nintendo. It also sounds that the final hardware maybe finished by the start of the new year so a Q2 release is looking realistic.

Do you have a favorite video game?

The only time I play is maybe the 20 minutes I spend testing rivals' new machines. I don't play video games in my free time. On the weekends, I fix things around the house, garden, or play the guitar. Or I'll exercise, go swimming, take the dog for a walk, or go for a hike.

Awww bless him. I can't believe he doesn't play Nintendo games in his spare time though :shock:

Sign in to follow this