N-Europe

Virgin Media v Sky

Ant-Shimmin

We have sky Digital (Only the normal thing, no + or HD) in the main room of the house.

We've had it since about 2000 when we had the full package, but we took off sports and films about 3 month ago as they are expensive.

I'd like a sky box in my room, i'm using a crappy portable arial at the mo.

You are talking about one Channel Sky1... Sky has alot more to offer then that. The Sports and movies channels are the best in the buisness

Sport is boring, and their movie channels are just endless repeats too.

You're missing Brand New Episodes of Lost.

I didn't miss anything, normally I don't bother downloading TV shows, but if Sky are going to be wankers why shouldn't I?

I really don't have a clue, this is the first time I've ever had anything other than terrestrial (I can't get Freeview here).

TBH, I haven't even watched terrestrial in the last few months. Let alone Freeview or Sky.

I'm on Virgin. Like has been said, good internet and phone, crap TV. Don't watch much TV so it doesn't bother me too much. The main problem isn't the channels, more the clunky, slow, shit interface which is prone to freezing and/or generally going bananas when you're trying to find something to watch.

I'm with Sky, I was with Virgin until they cancelled Sky One. I had NTL for years. Since I've had Sky I've found it to be a lot better than Virgin.

The TV is a lot better, the internet is faster and I've had less problems with it, plus you get a free wireless router rather than just getting it through the set top box which I did with Virgin causing the box to malfunction and overheat.

It's also cheaper than what I was paying with Virgin, and Sky are more helpful when I have had a problem. I lost a few channels the other day, rang them and I got straight through and they fixed it!

I have Sky and use Virgin Broadband

Broadband is great, never have problems with it, however for some reason, trying to host Xbox Live games is a no no. Whenever there's more than 4 people in a game of Gears, it lags like crazy.

Sky TV is fine, I had NTL a while ago, but I prefer Sky. Even though I've got a HDTV, I wouldn't get Sky HD because of the extra £10 a month subscription charge. £10 for a handful of channels with a better picture??? Robbing bastards. Though I am considering getting Sky+.

And to whoever said that the movie channels were just a bunch of repeats - what do you expect?? There's only a certain amount of movies out there, and if they never repeated them, only the people who didn't have jobs/lives/kids would be happy about this. I can imagine the marketing slogan now...

Missed a movie because you had a parents' evening and no Sky+? Tough shit!!

Sky. We own you.

Wonder if the dodgy euroboxes from ebay which unscramble all the channels would have a better interface and crash less than the one supplied by Virgin... ;)

lol, most likely, my Virgin box was crashing all the time, it was a bag of wank!

I have Sky and use Virgin Broadband

Broadband is great, never have problems with it, however for some reason, trying to host Xbox Live games is a no no. Whenever there's more than 4 people in a game of Gears, it lags like crazy.

Sky TV is fine, I had NTL a while ago, but I prefer Sky. Even though I've got a HDTV, I wouldn't get Sky HD because of the extra £10 a month subscription charge. £10 for a handful of channels with a better picture??? Robbing bastards. Though I am considering getting Sky+.

And to whoever said that the movie channels were just a bunch of repeats - what do you expect?? There's only a certain amount of movies out there, and if they never repeated them, only the people who didn't have jobs/lives/kids would be happy about this. I can imagine the marketing slogan now...

Missed a movie because you had a parents' evening and no Sky+? Tough shit!!

Sky. We own you.

Sky+ is the greatest thing ever, one of my mates has it and it's wonderful, true innovation in TV.

Sky+ is the greatest thing ever, one of my mates has it and it's wonderful, true innovation in TV.

Except for when it decides to totally erase itself.

Sky are more helpful when I have had a problem. I lost a few channels the other day, rang them and I got straight through and they fixed it!

wow..

You just had one of the rarest experiences ever.

edit:

Also, Sky + sucks for when the TV schedule is change. Or on the odd occasion when it misses the beginning/end of a show.