NEurope
UK

OOT or MM?

OOT or MM?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. OOT or MM?

• OOT
    • MM

I'm not sure if this has been done before, butwhich game do you prefer?

OOT- The game that kickstarted Zelda in 3D and wrote the rulebook for TP, this game is many fans favourite to this day. It brought back that 'fresh' feeling from ALTTP. It had an epic story; thus not that, or even its (for its time) fantastic graphics that left fans aweshocked. It was the sheer scale of Hyrule- the ability to go where ever you wanted when ever you wanted. Of course, other games did this, but the introduction of Epona made this easy. You could view the Sun setting over Lake Hylia, play mini games in Hyrule Castle Town, and even listen to the amazing music of Kokiri forest- all because of Epona.

Gameplay- 9

Story-7

Graphics- 7

Music- 10

Altogether- 33/40

Whereas MM had a lot to live up too, many fans thought the sequel surpassed OOT. Well, it certainly did in the graphics department. They were certainly better, and the story was a lot darker then OOT. So, the story and the graphics were better. Nevertheless, the map was no- where near as big as that of OOT, and niether was the game in general. The music, although up to usual standards, didn't beat OOT's either. The tune of Clock town will never match up to the laid back, western tune of Lon Lon Ranch.

Gameplay- 6

Story-8

Graphics-8

Music-9

Altogether- 31/40

Not even a contest, OoT. MM just felt out of place or something, while it was kind of cool with the idea of masks and stuff. I hated the fact that you were timed and the saving system sucked.

I'm not sure if this has been done before, butwhich game do you prefer?

OOT- The game that kickstarted Zelda in 3D and wrote the rulebook for TP, this game is many fans favourite to this day. It brought back that 'fresh' feeling from ALTTP. It had an epic story; thus not that, or even its (for its time) fantastic graphics that left fans aweshocked. It was the sheer scale of Hyrule- the ability to go where ever you wanted when ever you wanted. Of course, other games did this, but the introduction of Epona made this easy. You could view the Sun setting over Lake Hylia, play mini games in Hyrule Castle Town, and even listen to the amazing music of Kokiri forest- all because of Epona.

Gameplay- 9

Story-7

Graphics- 7

Music- 10

Altogether- 33/40

Whereas MM had a lot to live up too, many fans thought the sequel surpassed OOT. Well, it certainly did in the graphics department. They were certainly better, and the story was a lot darker then OOT. So, the story and the graphics were better. Nevertheless, the map was no- where near as big as that of OOT, and niether was the game in general. The music, although up to usual standards, didn't beat OOT's either. The tune of Clock town will never match up to the laid back, western tune of Lon Lon Ranch.

Gameplay- 6

Story-8

Graphics-8

Music-9

Altogether- 31/40

I don't really understand your scoring system?

Can you think of an N64 game that looked better than Majoras Mask (epecially by 2 points!), surely MM graphics should be a 10/10 and even Ocarinas are perhaps deserved of a 10, or at least 9/10 (certainly not 7/10)!

You say Ocarina has an epic story, then give it a 7/10.

Also, I can't see how you can justify a 6/10 for Majoras Masks gameplay!

Sure the map wasn't perhaps as good as Ocarinas, but I'd say it was a very comparible size, don't just think about the main field (which was smaller yes), but there was Snowpeak, the Ocean, Gerudo Fortress etc...

And whilst the main quest was smaller, the side quests were far lengthier!

And in actual gameplay terms Majoras Mask expanded on Ocarina's, by adding the Deku/Goron/Zora mechanics!

Anyways...

IMO Ocarina of Time is the greater game (and my favourite game of all time).

I prefered the story (it felt more epic), characters, setting, music, dungeons etc...

Definately 10/10!

Majoras Mask is a fantastic game though, 9/10!

OOT, all theway. MM was a great game, but it didn't come close to achieving the brilliance and epic feel of the original. Nor did it have as many challenges and dungeons.

Can you think of an N64 game that looked better than Majoras Mask (epecially by 2 points!), surely MM graphics should be a 10/10 and even Ocarinas are perhaps deserved of a 10, or at least 9/10 (certainly not 7/10)!

Sure the map wasn't perhaps as good as Ocarinas, but I'd say it was a very comparible size, don't just think about the main field (which was smaller yes), but there was Snowpeak, the Ocean, Gerudo Fortress etc...

And in actual gameplay terms Majoras Mask expanded on Ocarina's, by adding the Deku/Goron/Zora mechanics!

Anyways...

I prefered the story (it felt more epic), characters, setting, music, dungeons etc...

Definately 10/10!

Better looking N64 games?

Waverace and Perfect Dark to name but a few 3D ones, whereas Paper Mario was also a great looking game.

I have a very harsh scoring system, and I said 'epic' for OOT's story, not 'absoloutly fantastic', or 'life changing'.

Erm, its an easy one: Majora's Mask.

As great as Ocarina was/ is, Majora's Mask expanded it nicely and put a very nice surreal twist on things. It also had everything it needed, ok so only four main dungeons, but so much more to do besides. The bombers notebook is, in itself, epic.

OOT easily. MM was great, but that time thing pissed me off.

Anyways...

Definately 10/10!

Personally think OOT had better gfx than MM. In MM there were just too many low res textures for my liking. As for better looking games than MM. Well....

Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64. I'm sure there are others too I can't think of right now..

It has to be Ocarina of Time ... Majora's Mask is good, but it was ridiculously annoying to end up having to go back to the first day in the middle of a boss battle and then having to start the dungeon all over again.

OOT easily. MM was great, but that time thing pissed me off.

...it was ridiculously annoying to end up having to go back to the first day in the middle of a boss battle and then having to start the dungeon all over again.

The time aspect was what set it apart and one of the things that kept it from being just a quick and new rehash of Zelda for the N64. I mean, if you just took a minute to plan ahead strategically what you wanted to achieve in the next three day period there were no problems at all with anything.

That's fine, for hardcore gamers. People who just want to play without worrying about time limits hated it though. Time limits piss me off in all games.

The time aspect was what set it apart and one of the things that kept it from being just a quick and new rehash of Zelda for the N64. I mean, if you just took a minute to plan ahead strategically what you wanted to achieve in the next three day period there were no problems at all with anything.

haha yeah, but that never really entered my head playing it as an 11-year-old child ... I just wanted to play and finish it ... another OoT would've been fine by me! :D

That's fine, for hardcore gamers. People who just want to play without worrying about time limits hated it though. Time limits piss me off in all games.

I get what you mean with the time limits in games, I hate things like racers that are obsessed with getting you through checkpoint after checkpoint, it does my head in. I thought that having the three days was acceptable in Majora's Mask, and it gave you plenty of freedom as well. To me it wasn't pressure inducing, but helped me think about what I was doing and how best to get stuff done, you know what I mean?

haha yeah, but that never really entered my head playing it as an 11-year-old child ... I just wanted to play and finish it ... another OoT would've been fine by me! :D

As for just wanting to get games played to a finish, I totally understand what you mean! But if you were eleven and tackling Majora's Mask... you musta been very young with Ocarina of Time! :blank:

As for just wanting to get games played to a finish, I totally understand what you mean! But if you were eleven and tackling Majora's Mask... you musta been very young with Ocarina of Time! :blank:

Yup, I was about 9, I guess ... finished it in 3 weeks, I was quite proud of myself ... I used to come in every day after school and play it for ages. I remember talking about it at Christmas mass, the day I got it ... it was one of the first games I ever finished (after Link's Awakening, Super Mario World and Super Mario 64), so I've always had high standards for games, which have never really been met!

Games when you were young were so awesome. I think I was 14 when OOT came out. I really nailed games back then. Actually, after about 5 years of being bored by games during the PS2, GC and Xbox era, my passion has come back a lot, just not as much as when I was a young'un. :)

OOT got my vote. Both are great, but OOT just sucks you in, and it was the first 3D Zelda, so will always be special to many people. MM was great with it's masks, town and time-limit, but it just didn't suck you in and make you want you to play it again after completing it, unlike OOT, which I'm pretty ceratin I have played through around 8 times.

Games when you were young were so awesome. I think I was 14 when OOT came out. I really nailed games back then. Actually, after about 5 years of being bored by games during the PS2, GC and Xbox era, my passion has come back a lot, just not as much as when I was a young'un. :)

My thoughts exactly, except, my passion is now almost the same level as it was during the N64 days.

Ocarina of Time gets my vote. :D

Mainly because i have never owned or played very far into Majoras Mask to give a fair comparison of the games but also Ocarina of Time is the first game that filled me with a sense magic!

Being nine or ten at the time i bought it i found it challenging and so i felt even better when each new section of the game was revealed to me as i had earned it through hard work.

The towns feel so alive and the Dungeons were brilliant. There was a lot to do. It has a lot of Fantastic moments such as:

When you first go out into hyrule field and see this huge expanse in front of you to explore.

When you first get Epona out of Lon Lon Ranch and ride it around the field.

Also who can forget the killer Cuccoos!!! who came after you when you hit a cuccoo repeatly with your sword. :)

I love this game, it brings back good memories.

I know what you mean. In OOT, the sword side quest kept on pwning me, making me very frustrated.

i gave oot the vote, but mm was a fantastic game.

personaly, the three days never felt tight to me, if you slowed down time and started a dungeon at dawn of the first day, it was never going to go badly wrong.

i think it had the most emotional side of any zelda before or since, did any one visit the sword master in the 6 hours before impact and find him crying in the back of the shop. that was a really touching scene for me, and i love it when you put the zora and goron to rest, the goron particularly felt great to solve.

and swimming with the otters, that was a great side quest, oh and who could forget feirce deity link? that was a great touch.

but the fatal flaw was length, it just never felt like 4 dungions was enough, and as good as side quests are, they just arnt the same as facing off against a massive boss.

i loved it, but oot had more impact, and a lot more moments that stick to mind, the bosses of mm were a little dull really, though not so bad.

actualy, did any one else think tp bosses got dull after the dragon skull? the ice and spider bosses wernt great, the dragon was cool but fighting him could have been much more exciting. 2nd and 3rd bosses were great though.

I voted MM. I don't really understand how loads of people had a problem with the whole time aspect. I hate time limits but I don't remember ever being really under that much pressure except maybe at the end of the initial 3 day sequence.

OOT was fun but I'll admit that I got a bit bored during the Forest Temple, I'm not sure why. Even though OOT was pretty epic I felt that MM was much more detailed. I kind of appreciate it more knowing that quite a lot of people didn't really 'get' MM or just missed it out all together.

I remember Edge magazine did an absolutely amazing retrospective about it, anyone else read it?

MM for me. The dark and emotionnal atmosphere is marvellous and contrastiong with the colorful graphs. The universe is more lively than any other game, mainly due to the three days system which allow to make each character their own occupation.

Masks is typically the kind of things I love in games. Rolling like a mad to kill Rhork in goron form or swimming in Zora's bay was pleasuring as hell.

OOT is a pearl too but has less identity and is more classic.

MM for me. The dark and emotionnal atmosphere is marvellous and contrastiong with the colorful graphs. The universe is more lively than any other game, mainly due to the three days system which allow to make each character their own occupation.

Masks is typically the kind of things I love in games. Rolling like a mad to kill Rhork in goron form or swimming in Zora's bay was pleasuring as hell.

OOT is a pearl too but has less identity and is more classic.

I forgot about that! Zora swimming was awesome!!

Did anyone else notice the use of real constellations in the sky? I thought that was a cool touch!

MM for me ^_^ Why?

Because it's one of the only games that I love to go back to. True Hyrule is great but in termania there was always something to do, and you would never get bored of it. not to mention how fun it was trying to help every person in within the 3 days....ahhh good times.

Oh yeah another reason.... difficulty, it was the hardest Zelda game in 3D IMO nintendo should be more focused on making games harder like MM. If they did then I would be one happy camper ^_^

The music was much better then OOT IMO it had that evil feel yet felt so different to what Zelda music is like, yet they still keep in the great music of the Zelda series in it. It was awesome.

Another thing I don't like in TP was the time limit, when you took the orb from the hand. That made me so frustrated!