NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Metroid!

I have no idea why I didn't pick up Zero Mission when it first came out, the game is fantastic! I think I prefer it to Fusion, but it's pretty close. Really makes me wish Nintendo would make another 2D Metroid game, hopefully for 3DS.

I preferred it to fusion as well. I always felt like Fusion held your hand too much. Also the music in fusion was bloody weird, almost like they didn't know how to push the gba sound yet.

PLus Zero had that great twist where you think it's over but zero samus section has only begun.

I heard people saying it's shorter than fusion ,but I only think that is because the gameplay is MUCH faster. Samus absolutely FLIES through that game.

I must say that, the 3D Metroids aside, they (2D Metroids) all seem to be quite samey to me....

Then again, I only played Super Metroid and Fusion and a bit of the original.

A bit too samey, whereas Zelda, to me, does do things more different every time.

Things the nunchuk would have made worse:

There were a few things that benefitted from being mapped to the d-pad, not an analogue stick:

* Wall jumping controlled much better than the Prime games

* Space Jump/Screw Attack controlled much better

* Speed Boost (not in the Prime games) was enabled because of the d-pad. Imagine building up speed then pressing slightly the wrong direction on an analogue stick... In Other M, however, it was limited to left, right, forward etc.

There were a few things that benefitted from being mapped to the d-pad, not an analogue stick:

* Wall jumping controlled much better than the Prime games

* Space Jump/Screw Attack controlled much better

* Speed Boost (not in the Prime games) was enabled because of the d-pad. Imagine building up speed then pressing slightly the wrong direction on an analogue stick... In Other M, however, it was limited to left, right, forward etc.

Of those points, only Speed Boost is possibly valid and I'm sure they could have easily managed it so small changes in direction don't break the build up.

In the Prime games, the geometry of the levels was designed to have an organic look to it and not be full of perfectly flat walls. Wall jumping would have had to be done with a system like they used. And that has nothing to do with analog controls as Mario has been wall jumping with them for 16 years and never had any problems because the levels were design for it from the beginning. First person view is also a massive hinderance to the idea so again, you have to build a way around it like they did.

And if they wanted, I'm sure they could have had the space jump/screw attack in Prime act exactly like it did Other M. It was designed as it was to be a movement system and they limited the jumping to prevent game breaking. Once Samus entered the spinning state, they could have easily had you just continually press the jump button and control it like the morph ball does from the third person perspective. It's a level /gameplay design choice and nothing to do with the input.

Well OK, but the end result was that Wall Jumping and Space Jump were far inferior in the Prime games. Other M felt much more like Metroid than any Prime.

Well OK, but the end result was that Wall Jumping and Space Jump were far inferior in the Prime games. Other M felt much more like Metroid than any Prime.

Wall Jumping and the Space Jump were much better, without doubt. Wall Jumping in Prime was so rigid that they could have just replaced any sequence of it with an elevator and achieved the exact same result. It wasn't a sneaky trick for finding hidden passages - it was just an obstacle to game progression like a key and locked door in Zelda and consequently felt really forced.

The Screw Attack wasn't much better as again, it was quite restrictive in its use though I would try to use it against tough enemies when possible as it was quite powerful and you were invincible whilst spinning... though a bit exposed once you break out of it.

Other M felt like Zero Mission with Samus's quick pace and increased agility and I really liked that about the game to the point I'd like to see another done in that style on the 3DS if they don't go down the pure 2D route - they just need a better/more original story and to actually tell it well too. Have it be in 3rd person as normal but when you touch the touch screen with the stylus, it goes into first person whilst it remains in contact - perhaps have an option to make it hold or toggle like Z-Targetting in Zelda so you can lift it up. I guess you could have a button on the touch screen for first person too if the inevitable map can be fiddled with.

Metroid Prime captured the feel/atmosphere of Super Metroid better than any other game in the series 2D or otherwise with a slightly slower pace that mimics Super better - Super can be done quickly but you really have to know what you're doing. I've not played Metroid 2 (perhaps I should visit the e-shop) but having played an awful lot of the original, fusion and ZM, it strikes me that Super is perhaps something of the odd one out in terms of how it plays and feels for the 2D games. It's the one that feels most distanced from the rest in terms of how it plays. I'm not saying that's a bad or good thing, it's just something I've observed about my own feels toward the games.

Other M feels a lot like Fusion and Zero Mission, but the Primes feels like Super.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Other M felt like Zero Mission with Samus's quick pace and increased agility and I really liked that about the game to the point I'd like to see another done in that style on the 3DS if they don't go down the pure 2D route - they just need a better/more original story and to actually tell it well too. Have it be in 3rd person as normal but when you touch the touch screen with the stylus, it goes into first person whilst it remains in contact - perhaps have an option to make it hold or toggle like Z-Targetting in Zelda so you can lift it up. I guess you could have a button on the touch screen for first person too if the inevitable map can be fiddled with.

Metroid Prime captured the feel/atmosphere of Super Metroid better than any other game in the series 2D or otherwise with a slightly slower pace that mimics Super better - Super can be done quickly but you really have to know what you're doing. I've not played Metroid 2 (perhaps I should visit the e-shop) but having played an awful lot of the original, fusion and ZM, it strikes me that Super is perhaps something of the odd one out in terms of how it plays and feels for the 2D games. It's the one that feels most distanced from the rest in terms of how it plays. I'm not saying that's a bad or good thing, it's just something I've observed about my own feels toward the games.

Other M feels a lot like Fusion and Zero Mission, but the Primes feels like Super.

A lot of good points there, Captain Falcon. Perhaps that is why I didn't enjoy Super Metroid quite as much as Zero Mission/Fusion. That said, I think every Metroid game is good apart from the very first, which I feel is antiquated, but that's how I feel about every NES game. Also, I haven't yet played Metroid II, although I have purchased it.

Despite what I've said, I do think 3D games should use analogue sticks, it's just that I thought there were a few benefits of the D-pad in Other M. The real issue to me is separating 2D and 3D games, which is something I feel Nintendo is having a problem with at the moment. To my mind, 2D Metroid is perfect, Metroid Prime takes advantage of what 3D gaming can offer, whilst Other M is better in some ways than Prime, but inferior in others, and doesn't have any advantages over pure 2D Metroid.

I would like to see them build upon Other M, but also Prime. Combining them seems the only way, although I think Other M should be the starting point. A perfect 3D Metroid would need Prime's analogue stick, lock-on, missile button and 1st-person, as well as Other M's 3rd-person, pacing and overall design.

Will playing this game after Fusion feel bad?

No, if anything it will make Fusion seem a little underwhelming in comparison but when I make this statement it's literally as if I'm picking fault with something near perfect. :p

Both are spectacular games in their own right but Super Metroid will always be the best 2D Metroid game in the series with Fusion following very closely behind. : peace:

I still need to play this. I downloaded it ages ago though.

Just got so many games to get through at the moment haha!

Not bad, no, but you might not find it as amazing as some. It's still a very solid entry in the series and up there with Fusion and Zero Mission as the three best, really.

Not bad, no, but you might not find it as amazing as some. It's still a very solid entry in the series and up there with Fusion and Zero Mission as the three best, really.

I think you're downplaying the greatness of Super Metroid slightly by saying it's very solid. It's genre defining. As much as I love Metroid Fusion (which is a loooot), Super Metroid is on another completely level. Fusion is linear, Super is expansive. The exploration in Super Metroid is unparalleled. My only regret with the game is that I didn't play it through/appreciate it fully around the time it came out.

I think you're downplaying the greatness of Super Metroid slightly by saying it's very solid. It's genre defining. As much as I love Metroid Fusion (which is a loooot), Super Metroid is on another completely level. Fusion is linear, Super is expansive. The exploration in Super Metroid is unparalleled. My only regret with the game is that I didn't play it through/appreciate it fully around the time it came out.

You say you didn't fully appreciate it at the time.

I thought at the time "Metroid" was a shitty man in a space suit.

The shame!!

You say you didn't fully appreciate it at the time.

I thought at the time "Metroid" was a shitty man in a space suit.

The shame!!

I thought something similar. :p

The word "Super" also put me off it, for some reason. Sounded quite corny, so I passed up on it. :shakehead

No. Zero Mission is the one that resembles Super Metroid a lot. Fusion actually feels different enough from both games.

In Super Metroid, there's no missions given by a computer, no sectors, no ongoing plot... It's just you, the planet and the mission: find the Metroid.

This happens to be on my list of "many games i need to finish". Having never played it before (never owned a SNES, the shame). It needs to be played, which is why i'm dedicating this summer as the "Summer of Metroid/Samus" for myself. Starting with this over Easter weekend.

The game is perfect. You can play it after any game and it'll make no difference. Super Metroid is completely flawless in every regard.

It's the only game I would ever call perfect. I only played it for the first time a couple of years ago and well after completing Fusion and Zero Mission... it's on another level altogether and completely blows those 2 masterpieces out of the water.

The word "Super" also put me off it, for some reason. Sounded quite corny, so I passed up on it. :shakehead

Yeah I can understand that.

I mean who wants to play something with Super in the title.

On the Super Nintendo.

With Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart.

:p

Thank God Link to the Past wasn't called Super Zelda! You might've been called Fierce_Sonic

Yeah Super Metroid has aged incredibly well. I played it for the first time a few years ago (after having played the Prime games and Fusion) and I was just blown away by it; the world and atmosphere are top notch and it really does reward exploring and wall jumping your way to pastures new.

So good.

I think it's a bit harsh to called Fusion linear and a bit generous to call Super Metroid open world.

Fusion had narrative which occasionally told you where to go next, or put you there by itself, yeah. However within the individual sectors, there was plenty of that classic Metroid explore/backtrack.

Super Metroid on the other hand was only "open" in that you might often go the wrong way several times and still have a little something to do...

Super Metroid on the other hand was only "open" in that you might often go the wrong way several times and still have a little something to do...

The point of an open world is that you can travel it at your leisure, check every rock if you want to, go back to places whenever you want, for whatever reason you want. A good open world game leaves rewards for going out of the way.

So what if there's a linear path to the end? If the game never shows it, you don't know it's there.

Meanwhile, Metroid Fusion's path is marked by fluorescent checkpoints (some farther away than others).

I think it's a bit harsh to called Fusion linear and a bit generous to call Super Metroid open world.

Fusion had narrative which occasionally told you where to go next, or put you there by itself, yeah. However within the individual sectors, there was plenty of that classic Metroid explore/backtrack.

Very much agree. There are a great many hidden rooms, tunnels and passageways in Fusion - the individual sectors are all linked up, even if it seems they're not. If you want to explore, you can. If you need guidance, it's there for you.

Well, in Super Metroid and even the original NES game you're just exploring the world at your own pace, going from here to there and trying to figure out how the big areas link together. In Fusion, the game pretty much tells you "go here, go there". Thus it didn't feel as Metroidy to me, too linear...

Also, what open world game gives you total freedom? From GTA to Skyrim, there are always locked off places which you cannot access unless you follow some sort of a pre-determined mission structure.