NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ant-Shimmin

Am I the only person that finds the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC"

Adverts Patronising? At the sake of turning this into a Mac v PC argument here me out.

I mean look at it it's basically saying "Your a fat know it all nonce if you have a PC" and "You have a really slim line figure nice clothes and are really 'cool' if you have a mac, 'Look at the way I stand and how 2007 I look'"

It's as if it's trying to create a cultural difference between Mac Users and PC users.

I mean I'm a PC user, and have been all my life granted it is funny but some of it's like wtf are you trying to say about me?

I think they should try and market a whole new advert to PC users to convert because quite frankly,(Ego Boost) I think I'm cool I'm succesful with the ladies and I'm certainly not a failure at life, me getting a Mac isn't going to change that at all.

Thoughts?

I know! Just because I use a PC it doesn't make me boring and fat.

The cheek!

Yep, I'm boring and fat for completely different reasons!

To be fair though, it's just the same as most other adverts that try and sell an image on top of a product; eat this and you're sexy, drink that and you'll pull, smell like this and girls will tear your shirt off. If adverts told the whole truth all the time, they probably wouldn't be very good advertisements!

Yep I totally agree, however much I love the new mac ads with the guys from peep show, I hate the way they assume you will be instantly hip if you get a mac.

Also as a computer user I find the "It just works" very patronising.

I KNOW IT WORKS! how? how fast?

"It just works". < Pah!

Yep I totally agree, however much I love the new mac ads with the guys from peep show, I hate the way they assume you will be instantly hip if you get a mac.

Also as a computer user I find the "It just works" very patronising.

I KNOW IT WORKS! how? how fast?

"It just works". < Pah!

"It Just Works"

Is sticking a plug into a wall too hard for you, you village idiiot!!

Totally Agree

It's not even that.

"It just works"

Of course it will work! If not I am throwing it back into the apple shop which it came from!

I've already made many of this points in other threads. Completely agree with everything said in here, and I'm pretty sure this ads wouldn't be allowed if someone registered the PC brand (lets say a consortium of PC and PC parts producers). I'm sick with all this fad around Apple, even at sites where I expect its viewers to have an impartial opinion.

The best adverts are those which cause a reaction. So as an advert it does its job. Granted, it comes out as pompous but I presume it is meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

These adverts are primarily responsible for the rebuttal macs are getting now all over the internet, which Jasper has picked up on recently. I am part of it.

Essentially it boils down to this: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

WE ARE SICK OF HEARING ABOUT YOU

Windows users are sick of this infallible smugness from mac users. "It just works" "it's more stable" "no viruses" we ALREADY KNOW. We don't need to hear it over and over again. As a result, we are fighting back by pissing on macs, a taste of your own medicine.

It's a computer, not a social movement.

These adverts are primarily responsible for the rebuttal macs are getting now all over the internet, which Jasper has picked up on recently. I am part of it.

Essentially it boils down to this: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Windows users are sick of this infallible smugness from mac users. "It just works" "it's more stable" "no viruses" we ALREADY KNOW. We don't need to hear it over and over again. As a result, we are fighting back by pissing on macs, a taste of your own medicine.

That entertains me:

"I cant turn things on."

Credit to Mac users they have everything all they need is a ilife and a ireproductivesystem and a ileavepcownersalonetheyarehappy.

I don't really care about this advertisement scheme, or the mac user's view of windows users, or vice versa.

Why do you have to be so fussed about image? If you're determined to have a preference in your choice of OS, then why not leave it at that and fuck what everyone else says? People will always have different opinions to you, just carry on with life... it's not like you're really getting hurt by it.

That's it, close the message board down then.

Surely the point of this forum/topic is to discuss?

I don't really care about this advertisement scheme, or the mac user's view of windows users, or vice versa.

Why do you have to be so fussed about image? If you're determined to have a preference in your choice of OS, then why not leave it at that and fuck what everyone else says? People will always have different opinions to you, just carry on with life... it's not like you're really getting hurt by it.

It's Just Patronising, it's like...

"Look at them PC owners they are old and fat and are really un-attractive, While if you own a mac you will lose your virginity in a bath tub of 10 Beautiful women in baked beans, you have obvious trend and you do look like the kind of man that can afford an Ipod, why not get a Mac, because you are better than any PC owner"

It's just an incredibly patronising campaign set on getting people to use mac's because their cool and for PC users to get a mac to BECOME cool.

If they where fricking nice about it rather than patronising I'd probably consider getting one!

"Look at them PC owners they are old and fat and are really un-attractive, While if you own a mac you will lose your virginity in a bath tub of 10 Beautiful women in baked beans, you have obvious trend and you do look like the kind of man that can afford an Ipod, why not get a Mac, because you are better than any PC owner"

It's just an incredibly patronising campaign set on getting people to use mac's because their cool and for PC users to get a mac to BECOME cool.

If they where fricking nice about it rather than patronising I'd probably consider getting one!

As I said, I presume it to be tongue-in-cheek. Why else would they use commedians?

It has the same kind of approach as all beauty products. "If you don't own this product you shall be ugly/fat/hairy/smelly." The idea is to say you're missing out. Just saying "Macs are nice, so are PCs but Macs are that little bit nicer. Get one." wouldn't work. Adverts need to generate a response so thus by creating this thread you are succumbing to their desires. Even if you don't purchase a mac you are still spreading the word about them (and remember, theres no such thing as bad press)

I assume you mean the ones with Mitchell and Webb on?

I think you're taking them a bit too seriously.

I assume you mean the ones with Mitchell and Webb on?

I think you're taking them a bit too seriously.

and I dont think they are comedians.. more like actors.

To be honest, anything that makes computer users look slightly more cool than the cliche computer nerd will make my life/profession a bit easier so well done them if that's what it's doing!

The get a mac ads are just a bit of fun. They're aimed at raising awareness of macs as a viable alternative to a windows computer. The styling of the characters doesn't, to me, try and make one be 'cool' and the other 'orrible', but shows the difference between the focuses of both. Macs are definitely more creative and design orientated, and windows is definitely more business orientated. I'm not saying you can't do everything on both, because you can, it's just which OS lends itself better for the tasks it has to do.

The adverts themselves have won a fair few awards, although these were the american ads, not the UK ones.

Why do PC owners care about mac adverts? Do mac owners give a shit about the vista ad's? It's probs down to where the mac ads have been, as they have been more visible etc than the M$ ones.

If your comfortable with what you have, why give a shit about anything else? If it doesn't interest you you just turn off right?

The adverts are good at what they do, raise awareness and get people to venture into the apple stores. There are numerous website articles etc going into detail about the ads so read them if they seem to be bothering you so fucking much ant et al. If not, shut the feck up, leave this topic (get a mac and mac vs windows) alone and enjoy you 'wow' with vista. Then maybe we can all stop repeating ourselves and being such a group of fucking *****.

Yeah i really fucking hate those adverts.

iPhoto is not the bees bollocks, it's just plain bollocks.

And when it says "NAughty step for messing with the web, videos and whatever" I jsut think, "What 'cause pcs can't do these things?"

It's not that i don't like macs, i've been looking at mac notebooks for a little while actually, but the adverts piss me off.

This sums up my view:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

(Except for the part he talks about not wanting a mac)

Actually that's a really good bit of contradiciton on one of those ads too

"I didn't know what bit of cable i needed to go fromt he camera to the PC"

"I jsut plugged the wire into the camera and the Mac, and it just worked"

SAME FUCKING CABLE R-TARDS

Also, i've never had a problem with my camera simply connecting to my pc, it comes up in my computer 100% of the time.

If your comfortable with what you have, why give a shit about anything else? If it doesn't interest you you just turn off right?

And if someone stops you in the street to tell you to buy a mac because they're better than your laptop you just ignore them?

But... see... its just an advertising campaign that doesn't actually have any basis in fact. Everyone I know IRL, everyone, uses Windows. From the girls I used to live with last year to my parents to the computers in the Forum bar in Sheff to my girlfriend. I don't actually know anyone who owns a mac, have never seen a student using a mac in my uni library or union, and if I did they would probably come across as geekier than everyone else for going for the obscure OS that nobody else knows how to use.

Yeah i really fucking hate those adverts.

iPhoto is not the bees bollocks, it's just plain bollocks.

And when it says "NAughty step for messing with the web, videos and whatever" I jsut think, "What 'cause pcs can't do these things?"

It's not that i don't like macs, i've been looking at mac notebooks for a little while actually, but the adverts piss me off.

This sums up my view:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

(Except for the part he talks about not wanting a mac)

TBF, thats a shit page that doesn't raise a single decent point that anyone with sense could argue about.

Can we just lock this thread cos it's just going to get out of hand, my tongue bleeding already through biting so hard.

Honestly, what is advertising other than making toher people think you're the best? And by the way, the fact that we're talking about it right now - means it are damn good advertisements! Every word about it is a word that gets Apple's marketing team out the door!

But I don't find them patronizing. I find them pretty good parodies and exagurated advertisement. It's really awesome, really, really awesome!

No really, Apple has made one of the most known advertisement campaigns? You're just complaining because they are selling macs now because of these wonderfully crafted advertisements :wink:.

Sign in to follow this