N-Europe

It's Uni laptop time 2007

Sanchez

Best I could find £680 inc vat

http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/acer-travelmate-travelmate_5720g_302g16-laptop-4-n2.htm

What I like about this notebook is the quick charge technology:

up to 3-hour battery life with 6-cell battery pack

Acer QuicCharge™ technology:

• 80% charge in 1 hour

• 2-hour rapid charge system-off

• 3-hour charge-in-use

Improved processor speed and battery life. Now what do I win?

Edit

Also here is one similar to the one you posted before. Same amount of ram and hdd space, but a faster processor. I didn't check everything else over though

http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/asus-a8-a8jr_4p072c-laptop-4-n2.htm

£621.58 inc vat

Here I am for the last time now with a laptop with comparable specs to your original one, but with free delivery and a Voip phone

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/BUN-LX.AY50X.062-313_BUN-LX.AY50X.062-313/version.asp

Total cost is £569.97

My brother just bought this yesterday: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_VAIO_C2M-W_VGN-C2M-W.CEK/version-1.asp

Pretty nice bit of kit, tbh im really surprised! It's not the most meaty of machines but it has some nice features and a good quality 13" screen. Laptops Direct were great too, he paid for next day delivery but the card was rejected (Visa Security). They sorted the mess out this morning and the laptop arrived this afternoon!

I'd stay clear of Acer, personally i've had very, very bad experiences with them. Bad build quality full of design flaws that they wouldn't correct because they make too much money off repairs. My £700 Travelmate has cost me about a grand now and needs repairing yet again!

Evesham seem to have some nice prices at the moment too, and the 3 year warranty is pretty cheap. Might be worth a quick look at them, they'll build to you're spec :)

I've just finished uni, and I felt that buying a laptop was probably a mistake. I thought I'd use it for lectures, the library etc, but I didn't and don't know anyone who did. It pretty much sat on my desk. I really should have just bough a desktop and had done with it. The only thing I found useful was that I could easily take it on a train so my parents didnt have to pick my up every term (we had to move out between terms). However If you have a car with you, or live close to home I'd suggest thinking about getting a desktop, more power for much less price.

I've just finished uni, and I felt that buying a laptop was probably a mistake. I thought I'd use it for lectures, the library etc, but I didn't and don't know anyone who did. It pretty much sat on my desk. I really should have just bough a desktop and had done with it. The only thing I found useful was that I could easily take it on a train so my parents didnt have to pick my up every term (we had to move out between terms). However If you have a car with you, or live close to home I'd suggest thinking about getting a desktop, more power for much less price.

I see what you´re saying but a laptop will be useful to me for other reasons than Uni, it´s just a good time to buy one for me. I´ll have a desktop as well but i´ll probably be going home quite a bit and I don´t want to carry that about so much.

Thanks for the suggestions so far people, but there is one condition, the laptop has to have an nvidia 8xxx series graphics card.

I DO use my laptop in the library. The atmosphere in there is fantastic and allows you to get a lot of work done. Especially handy when it comes to deadline time and all the computers are packed, and you need the books that you can't take out of the library.

Plus a laptop is easier to hide when you move into your own arranged accommodation. My mates already had his macbook stolen from his room.

Dell laptops are a tad overpriced. It might have been worth it when they had really good tech support, but since they decided to market a the general public (rather that 10 years ago when they marketed mainly at companies) their tech support and general customer service has gone down massively. There no point paying the £200-£300 extra a dell cost over something from a smaller company (especially because their usually exactly the same laptop).

Almost as expensive as the sony viao laptops. (hideously overpriced)

Get a Dell...

Yes. Most definitely. If your uni does a student deal with Dell then that is a great option for you.

We were required to get laptops for our course and I am constantly using it. In the last year I have used it every day. If your course calls for such heavy laptop usage then get one.

I use a Dell Latitude D620. Fantastically reliable, fast dual core processors and sizeable HDD. With the campus IT support being as fantastic as it is, I have no need to worry about having any problems eg: when i dropped it (I know...) they had a new HDD and motherboards replaced in it in a few days.

Thinking about it, it might well be worth waiting til you get to uni. MY uni built laptops at very competitive prices and you can also order from Apple or Dell with a 10% discount on a university campus :)

15% from Apple via an Apple store-showed them my student ID. And a hefty price reduction on the 3 years extended protection. (for me it was £279.99 to £59.99)

:o Holy Cow!

Yep, i got my £1,299 macbook pro, case, .mac, 3 years extended apple care, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and stand for about £1,250 or there abouts. I thought it was a great deal since if i ever have a problem, i just take it to an Apple store anywhere and they'll deal with it, either then and there right in front of me, or as soon as they can. <3 Apple Store staff-so helpful.

Dell are not "very reliable". Just average, and certainly not worth 400 extra pounds.

Apple is out of the question. A similar specification macbook pro is 1348, almost twice the price, I doubt apple are going to give me a 40%+ discount.

VVV I didn't say I was getting an acer?

Dell are not "very reliable". Just average, and certainly not worth 400 extra pounds.

Apple is out of the question. A similar specification macbook pro is 1348, almost twice the price, I doubt apple are going to give me a 40%+ discount.

VVV I didn't say I was getting an acer?

There are 2 Dell laptops in my house, and our uni has a partnership set up with Dell, and I can quite honestly say I know of noone who has had reliability problems with Dells.