N-Europe

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

jammy2211

Guest Captain Falcon

Anyone seem the Blanka looking Orge yet?

Yes I have. The similarity is striking to say the least.

With having had the afternoon off today, I manged to play a bit more having not touched it since the weekend.

I've now got two of the original cast in my party, though I literally only just found one of them.

Strange thing happened with the first one of them though, and quite how this got overlooked, I don't know, but...

In the cutscene that introduced them properly, they did one of their moves but when you actually have them in your party, it turns out they don't know that move and can't use it in battle.

In the first game, if Genis hasn't leveled up enough to learn icicle, will he automatically learn it when you get to the Thorda Geyser?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Captain Falcon
Considering he learns icicle at level 9* I don't think it's possible to get to Thoda Geyser before he learns it!

*I may have made this up, can't be bothered to check...

Well you could have him KO'ed at the start and just battle alongside his corpse and then every time he gets revived, you do the same.

I'm sure that's how people do the level 1 fights against Abyssion.

Guest Captain Falcon
What is the "bonus" you get if you have a completed Symphonia Cube Memory Card in? I was sure I had some saved data but it didn't appear to be the case.

Well, when I started I had the following accessories:

Holy Mark - Recover 1% HP in battle

Spirit Mark - Recover 1% TP in battle

Heal Mark - Recover 3% HP on defeat of an enemy (like the Heal Bracelet)

Mana Mark - Recover 3% TP on defeat of an enemy (like the Spirit Bracelet)

I also remember I got a Sapphire but I'm not too sure what that does.

There may have been something else as well but I can't remember.

Alright, is this game worth £25. Got paid today.

I can't imagine that this is a game that was shipped in big numbers. So if you are waiting for a price drop, I suspect most places will have sold out before it gets to that point.

Like anything, it all comes down to how you attribute value to something. Personally, I do think it's worth that amount. In fact, I think it's worth more at this point because I'm really enjoying it but for all I know the rest of the game could be shocking.

If you enjoyed the original and can appreciate the changes, rather than hold them against it, then yeah, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm a bit worried about the length of the game. I was looking at the stats while i was in

Asgard

and it said I already had 9% of the skits. Am i really already 10% through the game? The original took me like 80 hours, at this rate i'd be done with this one in 20-30 hrs (and i'm already taking my time talking to every NPC, saving after every battle and fooling around with party stats & strategy)

I can't imagine that this is a game that was shipped in big numbers. So if you are waiting for a price drop, I suspect most places will have sold out before it gets to that point.

Like anything, it all comes down to how you attribute value to something. Personally, I do think it's worth that amount. In fact, I think it's worth more at this point because I'm really enjoying it but for all I know the rest of the game could be shocking.

If you enjoyed the original and can appreciate the changes, rather than hold them against it, then yeah, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Just the kind of reply I was hoping to get. Ordered. :D

I'm a bit worried about the length of the game. I was looking at the stats while i was in
Asgard

and it said I already had 9% of the skits. Am i really already 10% through the game? The original took me like 80 hours, at this rate i'd be done with this one in 20-30 hrs (and i'm already taking my time talking to every NPC, saving after every battle and fooling around with party stats & strategy)

I read a few reviews before buying the game and all of them said it was a short RPG and you will probably finish it at around the 25-30 hour mark.

Asgard

I'm not sure how to interpret that as, since there seems to be a skit every five seconds. Something which has pissed me off no end. Probably due to the lack of overworld where they were spread out and even activated in certain areas. I've actually started skipping some of them if I can tell where it's going [basically mainly Marta squirting her juices over Emil and him not noticing/Emil acting a massive coward as normal]

One thing though:

Regal, it seems every time you see him he's being punished for something.

Guest Captain Falcon

Just started Chapter 5.

It's good to see that the original cast members do get more powerful as the story goes on.

I've not been intentionally over leveling (I have done a few quests though) but when I was some 8 levels higher than my two associates, something isn't right.

Anyway, I evolved my black wolf into a Fenrir and now it's a proper beast. Changed some others too but the results weren't always as successful. It appears you can keep swapping a creature round all the stages on it's evolutionary chain so I actually ended up devolving one creature.

And I've got a Treant at level 47 yet I never seem to get a change to evolve it.

As for my human members, they are high enough now for me to be able to use Mystic Artes, though I've not tried them out

Could anybody help explain unison attacks for me - I'm puzzled as to what makes it so that more than one person joins in.

Anyway, I evolved my black wolf into a Fenrir and now it's a proper beast.

I did that earlier. Was well impressed by the appearance change, I was in the Ice Cave and met another Fenrir. I left mine to it [as a Mew V. Mewtwo battle] and took out the others.

Much better than its' original "evolution" appearance change. And even better than the ghost you catch as your first.

What is everyone's creature roster? Now what you "use", but what you have on the whole. I'm loving the random names.

I can't remember the actual species, as I haven't played it in awhile, plus I've been drinking:

Fenrir,

Spirit shit you catch to begin with.

Poltergeist (floating fire swords now floating blue thick swords)

Killer Fly

I'll have to check for pr0 confirmation

For me, as sexy as this is, it seems a cheap attempt to avoid making new characters/history/stories/friends thereof. Although I like the old characters showing up [Just met Sheena] but I wouldn't have minded some more new characters. It's like they scraped the bottom of the barrel with mega pussy Emil and lovesick whore Marta and couldn't be bothered to create anyone else, let alone actually make the characters that likeable.

I've actually started skipping some skits if I know where they're going, AKA Marta swearing on X she's going to make Emil love her, or Emil apologising for leaving the toilet seat down/something equally pointless.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Guest Captain Falcon

Still on Chapter 5.

I've got three original cast members with me now and the story is picking up a bit of pace it seems.

Marta's learned Photon now but at 34TP, it's not quite the spammable force it was on the original for stopping enemies dead in their tracks.

I finally got a chance to "evolve" my level 58 Treant... into some wussy plant thing. I wish I hadn't bothered as it's stats went through the floor as a result. Still, got my Sea Hog back to an Orca again so it's not all bad news.

Hey EEvil, unless you've passed me now, watch out for the skit called "mom".

I'm not suprised this did not even chart in the UK Wii charts took over a year to get here with no advertising and it launched in the same week as MW2.

Meanwhile I have my copy unopened but I got it because my mate said the writing and story is very good despite the lack of production values.

Edited by The-Ironflame

Guest Captain Falcon
Amazon say it should be here tomorrow. So is leveling up monsters easier than the characters in the story?

Whilst you can't equip weapons to monsters, you can give them food. Although their stats increase every time they level up, giving them food (that they like) can really add to their stats.

Monsters level up really quickly and learn lots of skills too, but they don't learn many artes - at least you don't have to worry about them running out of TP. You can buy and make artes to assign to creatures though.

There are also manuscripts you can find after defeating enemies (or as rewards in the colosseum) which just add X amount of Exp Points to a monster depending on the items colour. Which prove useful at the start of the creatures life but become less relevant the higher leveled it gets.

After so many levels, the creatures can evolve by feeding them. The evolution process simply has the creature rotate around all forms of it's life so you can regress back to a weaker form of the creature should you choose.

Evolving takes away all the creatures artes, yet it still retains it's skills. But as a level one creature again, it won't have the necessary skill points to equip all it's skills.

And the new creatures stats will be 20% of what the previous ones were.

So in a word, yes, monsters do level easier but because of other factors, it's not something that can be accurately compare to the story characters as such due to the more complicated nature of them.

As for my own progress, I'm near the beginning of Chapter 6 and my clock reads 26 hours.

Now since I understand there to be 8 chapters, I guess I must be a little on the slow side unless the next ones are quite short.

As for my team of monsters, I have a Fenrir, Treant, Orca and I'm currently training a Hell Hound. I've been wanting to get a dragon but even when I have all the elements on the grid in sync, I never get the option to try and make them join.

In the story, it mentions that getting creatures to join you will make you more powerful beyond just having the extra muscle in your team. Now is that just part of the story or is it linked to a gameplay mechanic - basically, if I went out and recruited 100 monsters, would Emil's stats increase as a result?

Now since I understand there to be 8 chapters, I guess I must be a little on the slow side unless the next ones are quite short.

Really? I'm on chapter 6 and only 17 hours in... :(

I've got this "helmet" equipped to Emil that changes his battle appearance to wearing a crown. It's fucking weird.

Guest Captain Falcon
Really? I'm on chapter 6 and only 17 hours in... :(

I've got this "helmet" equipped to Emil that changes his battle appearance to wearing a crown. It's fucking weird.

I'm guessing it's just me then unless you're flying through to get a review done.

What level are Emil and Marta? Mine are both 37 - I think they are anyway...

I've not bother with many of appearance changing head gear. Marta's still wearing the Tiara I got very early in the game as everything pales in comparison to it and Emil has some custom headband I made that ups criticals - could be the Fencer's one just thinking about it...

I'm guessing it's just me then unless you're flying through to get a review done.

What level are Emil and Marta? Mine are both 37 - I think they are anyway...

I've not bother with many of appearance changing head gear. Marta's still wearing the Tiara I got very early in the game as everything pales in comparison to it and Emil has some custom headband I made that ups criticals - could be the Fencer's one just thinking about it...

I feel that, she's still got hers. The crown lowered two stats, but it increased the attack to the max.

They're 39/38, but I've been doing a shitload of wandering in the Temple of Lightning.