NEurope
Slaggis

Is it a good idea to raise the driving age limit to 18?

Should the age limit be raised to 18?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should the age limit be raised to 18?

• No!
    • Yes!

The government have been thinking about whether or not to increase the minimum age of drving from 17 to 18. This is because 33% of all accidents in cars happen to people aged 17-21 apparently.

I think its ridiculous. I've been waiting to beable to drive for a few years now and can't wait (only just over 1 year left). I dont see why they can't just intrduce some more measures to give people more experience and make them better at driving etc instead of banning people untill their 18 completely.

Any of you guys got an opinion this?

I don't care, I'm 18 in September and it doesn't look like I'll be learning to drive anytime soon.

Overall no, i don't think they should because i'm 16 so i would be abit pissed off about it. However if its after October the 5th and ive started driving they can do what they want.

At 17, it's perfect for those who want to learn before they go off to uni.

The government have been thinking about whether or not to increase the minimum age of drving from 17 to 18. This is because 33% of all accidents in cars happen to people aged 17-21 apparently.

I think its ridiculous. I've been waiting to beable to drive for a few years now and can't wait (only just over 1 year left). I dont see why they can't just intrduce some more measures to give people more experience and make them better at driving etc instead of banning people untill their 18 completely.

Any of you guys got an opinion this?

The government have been 'thinking' about doing this for about 10 years, I doubt it's gonna happen any time soon!

Personally I'm 20 and have been driving for 2 1/2 years so I couldn't care less! :heh:

Its not gunna stop the under age drinkers, thats for sure.

Am no young people can be stupid. Besides it makes it extrememly inconvenent for people with jobs etc. Stupid idea your government would suck if they did it.

The government have been 'thinking' about doing this for about 10 years, I doubt it's gonna happen any time soon!

Personally I'm 20 and have been driving for 2 1/2 years so I couldn't care less! :heh:

true, but the daily mail did a big campaign to raise the limit a few months back and in november last year the government announced they would announce plans this year about what they were going to do.

I think they should raise it to 21 personally. So yaaaah, I voted for it to be raised.

Most young people are reckless and irresponsible, although 1 year doesn't make that much of a difference, its an extra year for them to grow up.

Yeah, why not. People are too obsessed with getting to 17 and getting a car. Sweat it out another year kids. At the very least you'll live another year without totalling your beloved car and mangling yourself, too.

Most young people are reckless and irresponsible, although 1 year doesn't make that much of a difference, its an extra year for them to grow up.

:o Comon', thats not fair. Most younger people are actually perfectly responsible and would take a great deal of care when driving. Its a minority of young people that would go out get drunk, drive and mangle up their car and themselves. Give some of us some credit, please.

This is an urban myth, has been doing the rounds forever. Not going to happen.

The age limit is 18 here, and it has been for several years. I actually have no idea for how long it's been like this, I just remember it's been this way all the time. :p

Some people may be responsible drivers at 17, and other not.

I dunno.. 18 is normal to me, so I don't see any problem. x)

I'll say no, because people who are idiots and drive like idiots at 16, are usually still just as stupid when they are 18, or 21 or 35, if they manage to live that long. It would make no difference to raise the age to 18, apart from making Darwinian selection slightly slower.

Driving tests should be have to be retaken every 10 years, I'm all for idiots killing themselves by dangerous driving, the problem is when they kill innocent people as well.

Not everyone drives like an idiot at 17 though. It's the novelty of having your first car. If they even raised the age to 21 the same thing would happen. it just takes people a few years to get old and boring.

Not everyone drives like an idiot at 17 though. It's the novelty of having your first car. If they even raised the age to 21 the same thing would happen. it just takes people a few years to get old and boring.

exactly, your logic rocks.

thats very true, surely no one can argue with that point, it is basically, for some people the novelty of it all and thats why the drive like lunatics

In Austria the age limit was actually reduced from 18 to 17 a few years ago.

However if you want to get the license at 17 you have to drive about 500km with a parent who has a license and didn't have an accident during the last 10 years.

The experience you get though is really warranting to get the license.

So technically you start to take lessons when your 16 and once you turn 17 and passed the test your allowed to drive alone.

Yes, I would love to see the age raised, insurance raised, car tax raised....the whole caboodle really....

Anything that reduces the number of cars on the road could only be a good thing both health and environment wise.

I've been drinking on a regular basis for 2 or 3 years now, no law hasn't stopped me now and it won't in the future

I think they should raise it to 21 personally. So yaaaah, I voted for it to be raised.

I'm with you man. Cars are big and very dangerous. Don't think anyone really remembers that anymore. I think a lot of people here are just complaining cos they don't have any kind of retrospective.

Driving is a sign of maturity in my opinion. In my area there are many youngsters driving expensive cars just mere months after turning 17, and of course you have the chavs, who speed around the place and do other things that you would associate with chavs and cars. How soon will those 17 year olds be in heavy debt, and how soon will some innocent bystander be hurt by a reckless driver? At that oung age you shouldn't have the responsibility of owning your own car and paying TAX, Insuarane etc.

I didn't start learning till I was 18 and a half, because I knew if I would of passed my driving test at 17 ( a time one is still a kid ) I would not trust myself on the road. Another year of waiting could make a diffrence to some people, making them more mature, as what happened in my case.

maybe. but they should also increase the drinking age to 21 while they are at it.

Not gonna help, look at Ant!

no law hasn't stopped me now and it won't in the future

Yeah, they should. I get sick to death with year 11's driving and nearly knocking us younger 'uns down. DOITDOITDOIT.