N-Europe

Safari For Windows

Emasher

I just thought i would mention it outside of the mac thread since not many pc users go there

a pc version of the web browser safari (made by apple) is going to be coming out.

It beat ie by about 7 seconds in start up time and has a much nices interface so it could be something for you pc users out there to consider.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It beat ie by about 7 seconds in start up time and has a much nices interface so it could be something for you pc users out there to consider.

hmm my IE starts in less than 7 secs, does that mean Safari loads before I click it? :D

Guest Jordan

Thats utter bull shit.

IE7 on Vista loads in literally half a second due to it being constantly cached in memory. Nothing can load faster than IE because its near enough built into explorer.

well thats what they did at the keynote an i wasn't there I'm just reporting it

anyway the beta version is available on apple's site

the beta for safari 3 mac version is available to and it has spell check built in

Guest Jordan
well thats what they did at the keynote an i wasn't there I'm just reporting it

anyway the beta version is available on apple's site

the beta for safari 3 mac version is available to and it has spell check built in

Indeed, the Apple Spell Checker.

Example:

"I like cats, they are cute and fluffy."

The following words are spelt incorrectly:

"I like cats, they are cute and fluffy."

Correct spellings:

"iI iLike iCats, iThey iAre iCute iAnd iFluffy."

I'm so glad that Jordan has let us hear his wisdom once more. Thank you Jordan.

Anyway, I downloaded it, tired it for a little - and tbh it seems a little slower and more awkward than Opera - so I'll stick with Opera for the time being. One of the things I like about Opera is how clean it looks. There's a tiny bar at the top, but apart from that is doesn't interfere with you.

Guest Jordan
I'm so glad that Jordan has let us hear his wisdom once more. Thank you Jordan.

You know you love it.

Anyway, tbh the browser doesn't really fit with the Vista style does it? :-/

You know you love it.

Anyway, tbh the browser doesn't really fit with the Vista style does it? :-/

Bit it fits within the Apple product style (check iTunes and Quicktime). They built in their own nifty theme (and I can honestly say: Plastic Aqua looks, in my opinion, loads better than XP AERO GLass. Glass is such a cluttery interface - but Apple's looks smooth and simple to navigate. But that wasn't the point. Apple won't adopt to the Windows Vista style, soon.

I have tried Safari on Windows too, now, and I seem to remember why I switched to Firefox on mac. Because safari isn't always that fast, accurate. Apple may 'prove' a lot with their testing, on my parents' windows XP, it loads much slower. But on the other hand, Jordan, it doesn't mean nothing can be faster than IE7! Using those boot-loading application (quick starts), they can make any program run just as fast by requiring image cache for it. So don't be to narrow-minded there, pally. Or just don't be so narrow minder over the macpc thing.

I'll keep to Firefox.

The style looks ugly with Vista (whereas Firefox looks better with Vista than IE7) - which is one of the reasons I don't use iTunes.

I can't seem to remove the bookmark toolbar, either.

And there's some odd spider button, too.

Guest Stefkov

I don't think Opera does, Firefox does though.

I think maybe there are plugins for a spellchecker but who actually types something then doesn't read over their text?

I'll give it a try, but I love using 'z' and 'x' for back and forwards on Opera. Backspace for firefox and IE I dont like, too much reaching.