N-Europe

5G iPod (With Video) - My Thoughts

CVD

It finally arrived today. I was impressed with the delivery actually, because it was in Shanghai on Sunday and Amsterdam yesterday, before finally arriving this afternoon.

I've had a good hour or two to play around with it, and I'm happy. The video playback looks amazing on the 2.5 inch screen, whether on full or widescreen mode. The only video dissapointment (obviously) is the shoddy two hour battery life.

Music is amazing, as standard, for iPods. It's hard to tell the difference compared to my previous 4G Black and White iPod, but there is a small noticable increase in bass, for the music tech geeks out there that were pressurising Apple. Album Art, Ratings, Lyrics in addition to the song name, artist and album are all displayed during music playback.

Photo's also look excellent on the LCD screen, but will obviously depend on the original picture quality resolution.

Overall, it's Apple's best iPod yet, without a shaddow of a doubt. It holds more music, has a better quality colour screen, longer battery life, available in two colours and two forms of capacity (30GB/60GB) and has video playback as a bonus. Apple will need to improve battery life, however, if it is to truly rival the PSP or iRiver for video playback.

Pics:

These were taken with a crappy cameraphone as I have no immediate access to a Digital Camera. Enjoy...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

IPODS SUCK GET A RIVER OR CREATIVE OR BUILD YOUR OWN.

(Sweet!)

Good thing you let us know - I've been getting great usage out of mine and it does everything I want to, but now that I know it sucks, I'm throwing it in the bin. I could have been embrarrasing myself if you hadn't warned me.

I ordered mine on Monday, its my Christmas and Birthday present (they're only a day apart) and now I can't wait for it. Its current status is preparing to ship, and I would assume it will take a while because of the engraving.

Thanks for the review I really appreciate it.

Edit - Mine has now been shipped. :)

Guest Offerman
There's always one!

(I have an iPod mini and it's pretty much my girlfriend)

Unreliable, ugly and loose; yup, sounds like your kinda girl Haver.

It's not crashed for me yet, although I've only had it a day. My entire music, photo and video collection is now on it, and I'm only using a third of total capacity, there's plenty of room going to get filled up in the next few months.

And in reply to Tom: I bought this as the main intention is to play music and be easily transferrable to my laptop. I've bopught about 50 songs and videos from the iTunes music store which would become void if I ditched the iPod. Other music players may have a longer batter life or some other features that Apple don't include, but iPod suits me perfect.

Album Art, Ratings, Lyrics in addition to the song name, artist and album are all displayed during music playback.

Lyrics during the playback, isn't that a bit much? Wouldn't the screen keep scrolling? Although...karaoke all around.

My music is more than 95GB alone.

Colin obviously discovered bittorrent, or wants legal. :heh:

To the person who said get the Archos one: He's had an iPod before and will most likely have bought music from the iTMS which wouldn't play on another MP3 player.

It's amazing to think that it's still the same width as the 4G iPod, it looks so much wider.

Colin obviously discovered bittorrent, or wants legal. :heh:

Could be perfectly legal. My friend has a 60GB ipod and has filled that because he has such an immense CD collection. Hes been getting at least one CD a week (not including birthdays and such) for the last ten years(ish) so he has many a CD.

Like I said, I've downlaoded quite a few legal tracks, my collection is expanding at the rate of 50-100 songs per week. Still, I don;t want GB's worth of stuff on there that I'm never going to listen to.

And as for the lyrics, they're only displayed if you want them to, by pressing in the centre button three times, they take up the entire screen and are scrollable.

wow cvd that looks damn sexy. Ive got the 20gb photo iPod, which i bought a month ago, so im not paying for a new one just yet! although im sorely tempted!!

They would be awesome if you could change the battery, when the current one goes flat. my friend has one and it is now pretty much useless unless plugged in cause his battery is done.