NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Apple_NdiB

Complete lack of respect

I know I don't post here much anymore, and when I do it's either to make a lame joke or hark on about the old days as if I was sitting on a rocking chair on a porch bemoaning lost values (like I'm about to), but I've noticed the way people treat each other on here these days is absolutely fucking disgraceful. discussions about trivial subjects quickly descend into slanging matches, insults are thrown at all and sundry and opinions are dumped on, what's going on? I'm not saying that it hasn't always happened to some extent, but what is noticeable to me is the regularity of it, and the fact that it seems to happen within the space of a few posts. Go into most threads and you'll find an argument of some kind, usually involving a select few members who seem to use this message board as an outlet for their aggression, and I'll accept that it is a select few, but it doesn't stop otherwise tolerant members from taking the bait. Have you ever considered why these people feel the need to pick fights?

I personally hate arguing, so stay out of situations like that.

I guess some people just cant back down.

Didn't someone make a thread like this before, making the point that there's no real sense of community on these boards anymore?

Meh I don't have any real problems with members on these boards, although I hate how some people are sometimes singled out by a majority of posters, sometimes it's just plain bullying.

Is this thread just about the concept of picking fights? Or do we have to talk about everything that's wrong with the argumentative people on these boards? Because the former would take years of study, and the latter would take... forever.

It all boils down to the the same thing it did with bullies and cool kids in school. They think that insulting someone in a 'funny' way, being random, showing blatant disrespect or anything like that looks cool. They're showing off, they want to impress.

The problem is most of them don't know they're doing it. Some of the main offenders will probably come to this thread and agree with you. We had to lock the football thread and music thread temporarily on separate occasions because people couldn't be civil and disagree without insulting each others tastes or even where they lived and how they talked/acted. It's sad and a shame, but there's little that can be done except banning the bigger idiots, and we're trying :)

I know I don't post here much anymore, and when I do it's either to make a lame joke or hark on about the old days as if I was sitting on a rocking chair on a porch bemoaning lost values (like I'm about to), but I've noticed the way people treat each other on here these days is absolutely fucking disgraceful. discussions about trivial subjects quickly descend into slanging matches, insults are thrown at all and sundry and opinions are dumped on, what's going on? I'm not saying that it hasn't always happened to some extent, but what is noticeable to me is the regularity of it, and the fact that it seems to happen within the space of a few posts. Go into most threads and you'll find an argument of some kind, usually involving a select few members who seem to use this message board as an outlet for their aggression, and I'll accept that it is a select few, but it doesn't stop otherwise tolerant members from taking the bait. Have you ever considered why these people feel the need to pick fights?

It's about waving your ePenis around so everyone can see how huge it is. That and I think generally the world is an angrier place these days, maybe the internet really is slowly destroying our souls?

It's about waving your ePenis around so everyone can see how huge it is.
Shit, you said it way better than me.

Bullying is definitely the word I'd use, especially considering the wide age range of the members here. I'm not aware of any specific examples (though God knows it wouldn't be hard to find any) it may be worthwhile checking someone's age in their profile before you start calling a 13 yr old a fucking retard.

You do often tend to get silly rows going on, but I think most of the time they fizzle out when people ignore them. Plus, as Shorty says, most of the real trouble makers end up being banned.

In fact I like arguing, but by that I mean logical debating, not bitch fights. I think we should have more debates on this forum.

When someone says something stupid and uninformed, they're gonna get called on it.

You do often tend to get silly rows going on, but I think most of the time they fizzle out when people ignore them. Plus, as Shorty says, most of the real trouble makers end up being banned.

In fact I like arguing, but by that I mean logical debating, not bitch fights. I think we should have more debates on this forum.

Me too, in fact arguing/exchanging opinions was the reason I warmed to this place to begin with, and I know the members who feel the same outnumber those who stir it up.

Contrary to the impression I may be giving off here, I know that there is a core community of fantastic members, and I'm aware that there are people far more intelligent and mature than myself around. I still feel like I am part of these boards, (even though I should imagine alot of you don't know who the hell I am), and I still care about them, which is why I'm soap boxing it up at the moment.

When someone says something stupid and uninformed, they're gonna get called on it.

Post proof please.

Also Apple I still remember you! Though you'll have no clue who I am :blush:

Funny, as soon as I saw the thread I thought about you.

hark on about the old days as if I was sitting on a rocking chair on a porch bemoaning lost values (like I'm about to)

:laughing: :laughing: Good one.

See this is how it all starts :nono: Now Bard's going to post something defensive and an insult match will fly back and forth. Please be a bit more reserved before jumping on peoples' cases!

See this is how it all starts :nono: Now Bard's going to post something defensive and an insult match will fly back and forth. Please be a bit more reserved before jumping on peoples' cases!

No! The irony of this thread ending in a flame war is too beautiful!

You're right, but I'm not deleting my post. I said my mind, he can say what he wants and I won't answer him, it's as simple as that.

I agree but some people dont understand the basics of a discustion.

(my ePenis is massive)

So you've said something that you know he's gonna reply to and THEN you'll end it?

Oh no! It's happening to me now aaaaah

Love you Hellfire ;)

Its never been care bear land...

I don't see a problem with controlled heated discussion, but it can get out of hand at times. I wouldn't say this board has more than any other forum I visit, in fact I'd still say this is one of the friendlier boards I visit.

Sorry, I've been kind of a dick, it's just that I've been having a rough time lately and since Bard has been pissing me off lately I couldn't resist.

I didn't say anything offensive though.

But if you look at other boards, this one is pretty peaceful. Some fights are inevitable, this is a melting pot of opinions and with anonimousy(sp?), things can get out of hand some times.

Its never been care bear land...

I don't see a problem with controlled heated discussion, but it can get out of hand at times. I wouldn't say this board has more than any other forum I visit, in fact I'd still say this is one of the friendlier boards I visit.

I've never been a regular member of another board so I can't comment on whether or not it's an internet-wide thing.

It's the internet, it happens.

Well I guess it is then.

Respect is earned, not inherent.

Sign in to follow this