N-Europe

Rumor Control - IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat

pedrocasilva

It got bad with me when I was in my hometown with a crappy connection, when I'm not it works fine. Unless someone I'm playing with has a crappy connection. It's not something that can be "patched", Sakurai always said it would be VERY hard to make it online and that it would have lag, and since there aren't dedicated servers, everything's dependant on people's connections.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It got bad with me when I was in my hometown with a crappy connection, when I'm not it works fine. Unless someone I'm playing with has a crappy connection. It's not something that can be "patched", Sakurai always said it would be VERY hard to make it online and that it would have lag, and since there aren't dedicated servers, everything's dependant on people's connections.

Not sure if that's the case. The reviewers were pretty sure that their connections weren't that laggy and there should be systems in place to stop bad connections from individuals ruining a game.

Point is, it's a problem but it's not a problem on MK. People (including me) want to know why that is and would also like to see it fixed.

MK doesn't need as much broadband as brawl it's not really comparable. Not saying Brawl's online is perfect, it's a huge waste that it doesn't work great, but what you're saying doesn't make sense. A system to prevent bad connections from being... bad? How exactly would that work? Lag isn't a very simple thing to solve and let's not forget we have European and American players playing when European players weren't supposed to. I was playing Brawl yesterday with no lag, then I went to play Skate on 360 and I was lagged, it isn't exactly something that's solved that easily, specially on a game with so much going on. A bad connection can't handle online well, there's no working around that.

It seems to me that they couldn't make the game require less bandwidth (which explains why Sakurai said it was going to be very hard to put online in, it wasn't a priority and he was even considering just 1vs1), because my home town connection is good (although it was spazzing out at the time) and it was laggy, but here it works well most of the time.

I never played with random people though, don't know about that.

I understand what you're saying but the public don't want to know about the technicalities of the situation. They will want the same online quality as they get in MK, they dont care how that happens.

If I knew that it was going to have problems then I would have suggested that they didn't put online in at all. It doesn't do the game justice if it can be used as a black mark.

Sure, I know that, but if I know something I won't erase it of my mind selectively and pretend I don't understand.

If someone uses it as black mark, their problem not mine. I prefer a game to have another feature even if it isn't perfect than not to have the option at all, at least in this case, considering it's possible to play without lag. Not including it because it's not perfect is the pussy way out.

Not to mention that most people who buy this don't do it for the online. And online games had lag since the dawn of time and still do, watcha gonna do.

I understand what you're saying but the public don't want to know about the technicalities of the situation. They will want the same online quality as they get in MK, they dont care how that happens.

If I knew that it was going to have problems then I would have suggested that they didn't put online in at all. It doesn't do the game justice if it can be used as a black mark.

But then people would complain it doesn't have online...

And MKWii isn't lag free, it just programmed to show it in a way that's less obstructive to its gameplay. In MK you're focused on how you control de kart without much concern for the other players, and so the devs decided the best way to disguise lag would be to correct online players positions in the map, thus sometimes you see them warping around. But in smash, warping a player around and keeping control fluidity would be insane, and so we get what we currently have with it, laggy controls and low frame rate.

But then people would complain it doesn't have online...

Yep, see your point and I thought that I'd edited my earlier post when I blatantly hadn't! And cheers for the info about MK, I didn't know about that and hadn't noticed it while playing online myself.

This the reason FPS (and racers to some extent) are good for online, there's hardly any information needed to be transfered between players.

In the case of MK Wii it's not so important that your Wii knows exactly where someone else is on the track. So your Wii can make some estimations based on other players last known position and momentum if it hasn't recieved the actual positon of a player in time. Hence you'll see someone move around eratically sometimes, it's because they're swapping between where they really are and where your Wii thinks they could be.

At least that's my understanding, based on how Quakeworld worked back in the day. Which made online gaming run fine even on 56k modems, and with an acceptable ping in the realms of 100-400ms, which is a lot higher than what most people will get now-a-days.

With something like brawl the assumptions your Wii can make are next to nothing.

Here is this weeks.

Protothea

- From Ubisoft (2005 remake), another shooter

- Launch title - 1000 points

- WiiWare could end up with a lot of shooters

- Needs to be faster, more enemies

Castle of Shikigami III

- Great according to Daemon

- Vertical shooter

Boom Blox

- Fun, also good for kids

- A bit overpriced

- Good party game

- Currently embargoed, review tomorrow

- Upcoming events at Sega, Ubisoft, Konami - news out of those events probable

- IGN will have 1 exclusive, Friday - Craig: “Pretty big,†unannounced - Wii & DS game, based off distinct property - video, screenshots

Bionic Games

- There’s a rumor that they’ll be making a game published by Capcom, Capcom won’t comment

- Game the company is making seems more ambitious than other games

- Sci-Fi action-adventure

- Original game

- Retro hiring for positions they lost

- Have a big title down the road most likely

Storage on Wii

- Iwata slightly acknowledged the problem on Wii with storage

- At least “half-recognizing†the problem

- Maybe hear more at E3

3 most anticipated games on Wii, 360, DS, PS3

Matt: Wii - Wii Fit, Pikmin 3, Kid Icarus, 360: Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Prince of Persia, Too Human, Street Fighter, DS: Guitar Hero, Trauma Center, Moon, PS3: LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, Wipeout HD

Craig: Wii - Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, World of Goo, Multi: Ghostbusters, Ninja Gaiden 2, DS: Guitar Hero, Space Invaders Extreme, Bangai-O Bozon: Wii - Animales de Muerte, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Tails of Symp., 360: Left for Dead, Street Fighter IV, Ninja Gaiden 2, RE5, DS: Super Dodgeball Brawlers, Guitar Hero, Trauma Center, PS3: Grid, LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout HD

Daemon: Wii - Wii Fit, Blast Works, Strongbad, Lost Winds, World of Goo, 360 - Bionic Commando (both versions), Fallout 3

- Still need to know about upcoming Wii software

- Craig, Matt think that E3 may end this year (companies dropping out, only 1 hall, etc.)

Iron Man (DS)

- Kinda cool, gameplay happens outside of screen

- Enemies attack off-screen, annoying

- Now super-awesome, but fun

- Lego Indiana, Line Rider, Friday announcement this week (DS/Wii coverage)

Reader mail

- WiiWare Tetris title is coming to WiiWare, online

- Etrian Odyssey 2 feels a lot like the first game, a few new things, holds it own

- FF:Tactics looked like an upgraded version of GBA - not a bad thing

- Tecmo Bowl Kickoff - apparently coming to Wii, haven’t officially announced it though

- Boom Blox is fun in single-player as well as multi-player - doesn’t have “blow-me-away†factor, but still a ton of fun

- Platinum Games (ex Clover Studios) hasn’t said what they’re up to

- Earthbound VC game will probably hit the Wii Shop Channel, but not right away - if it comes out, people need to buy it or more games like this won’t come out

- Factor 5 is not making Pilotwings for Wii - Factor 5 did say they’re be interested in making a flying game

- Donkey Kong Country has a better soundtrack than Megaman X

- Okami better than Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes (Matt), Craig: No More Heroes is better

- Boom Blox is recommended to non-classic puzzle fans

- WiiWare limit: 43 megabyes, no way to get past that limit yet

- Iron Man Wii review coming out Tuesday

- Nintendo not producing more Wii units because they can’t product them fast enough

- Another game from a developer who couldn’t find a publisher (dark game) will hopefully be unveiled/talked about later this week

- IGN hasn’t seen the Bionic Studio game

- Konami’s projects on Wii will most likely be shown next week

- Blast Works (hopefully) will be great; Should be easy to use, not convoluted - can create all types of content - shooter aspects generic, but creation is great

- Second takes for reviews are added when the review feels like it (sometimes if people disagree, want to elaborate on some points)

- Launch feature on WiiWare is planned on IGN

- Not sure what Monster Games is doing

- Next Metroid game: Nintendo should take it back and do it themselves if not Retro again

- GTA4 - technically amazing, still has some issues like previous iterations

- We Love Golf on the shelves because of other games, Matt is still optimistic - not as excited about it (Matt)

- Scarface is a good GTA alternative on Wii

- More on Moon for DS coming - looking good

- More developers on podcast in coming weeks

I'll listen to this later, but judging by the comments it seems like those infidels committed the cardinal sin of preferring one game to another. How dare they!!

No. It isn't written "I prefer... over...". They say a game is better than others of completely different genres and different purpose.

Maybe I (and so the guy who wrote this) am wrong since I never watch podcast.

No. It isn't written "I prefer... over...". They say a game is better than others of completely different genres and different purpose.

Maybe I (and so the guy who wrote this) am wrong since I never watch podcast.

Erm it's writte by guy at neogafs lol.

Here is this weeks summary.

Lost Winds:

-Best of the Bunch (Launch Titles)

-Best art design then most retail games

-$10 Worth it.

-It is short. 3 hours, though you can get lost along the way.

-Its a Super Metroid presentation. You’re not told when you go into new levels.

Defend Your Castle:

-Matt, “Shallowâ€

-Jump in, Jump out Multiplayer. “It’s awesome, thats when the game is really funâ€

-Debate if the graphics are good or bad. The intent is bad, but thats the point of the game and it works. Still gave it 3 or 4 for graphics, they are bad, but theres a charm to it. Feels like they could have done more, they just didn’t want to. Its stylized though, but its bad.

Pop:

-You use the pointer to Pop bubbles of the same color to get a combo going and keep the clock going.

-Simple, just not that addictive as other simple games.

-Pick up and move the bubble. Pick it up and shake to make it bigger.

-Craig still hasn’t figured out how to move on to the next level

-Composer is above average.

-In multiplayer, if you get the lead you can kill the clock to win

-The game froze for ign. Not that widespread but the problem is out there and they are going to have to address that.

-Leaderboard and uses WiiConnect24 to send achievements to friends

Trivia King:

-No Buzzing in. Its multiple choice, but no buzzing sort of forces peoples answer to be swayed by where friends cursors are going

-They didn’t come up with witty and relevant wrong answers for questions. If they answer is a Japanese name, there will be the correct name and three American names like John Smith.

BlackJack:

-High Voltage, the Gyrostar and Animale dev

-They didn’t know Blackjack was going up first for them, they thought Gyrostar was.

-Ubisoft thought Protothea was going to be the first shooter.

-It looks nice, better than left field’s retail card game, but its still just a card game.

-No online or leaderboards.

FFCC: My Life as a King:

-$15 Game. $25 worth of DLC already

-Lots of bashing on the game.

WiiWare Storage Issue:

~Matt is cursing at Nintendo for having to delete stuff to make room for WiiWare stuff.

~Everyone else joins in laughing at Nintendo’s comment that its only a “small minority†that don’t have enough room

-Matt wanted to make an article on it (the storage problem), got shot down.

WiiFit:

-You really do work up a sweet and up your heart rate.

-The tight rope game gets tough on expert. The wind and barrels coming at you is tough and fun.

-It has a full blown scale to measure your body weight, not just BMI.

-Talk about how the BMI can cause controversy over how it doesn’t take into account how fit you are, just height/weight

-Yoga is really fun.

-Its going to get a good score.

Madden Wii:

-You can call your own plays/draw your play.

-Looks like it got a visual boost. Definitely new animations

Platinum Games:

-They are NDA’d so in this section they are skating around it.

-Madworld, all black and white. Main character has a chainsaw for an arm.

-Main character picked up a sign and jammed it through the eye of an enemy

-Matt and Bozon are excited someone else used their idea of a black and white game with red blood for contrast. (since their game blackout isn’t getting the light of day from publishers). They acknowledge the guys had to be working on the game prior to when they came out with Blackout’s info.

-If rumors are to be believed, theres a XBOX360/PS3 game from the same company and the DS game.

-If rumors are to be believed, the wii game absolutely kicks ass.

Speed Racer:

-Shallow in that you start to see the same levels over again.

-Its a solid fast racer but thats just about it.

-DS version looks a little better than the Wii version, may be in the 8’s score wise. Looks good for a DS game.

-Matt likes the mechanics even better than the Wii game

Skate-It:

-They broke embargo then had to take it down months ago and apologize. Other sites got to post the news. Bozon gets all mad and starts cursing and yelling in this part.

-Video was just conceptual

-was playable yesterday at EA event

-not a sequel or port, its a spin off

-A disaster has happened in the city, is the game’s story. Possibly Cloverfield esq.

-Running at 30. Wii-mote is held as a board. Demo was only Wii-mote. No nunchuck

-The motion really worked when the demo guy was using it. Still very early

-DS version actually looked better than the Wii version, more textures.

-Transient(ience?) is doing the DS game. Full touch control.

Pit Fall Wii:

-Shots in 4:3/ Looks EXACTLY as the GC game.

-GC version may have looked better, better lighting.

-Later on Bozon finds GC shots Identical to the newly announced Wii one. He wants Gaf to find the shots and post them for the lulz message board reaction. Image 10/53 on the GC page, 1/3 on the wii page.

Lost winds Sequel

-Already announced.

-Think its going to be WiiWare again

-No word from Nintendo on how WiiWare is going sales wise.

-It shows FF above Lost Winds. Jokes about how that shows gamers don’t know any better and how they’ll just buy anything with FF

Protothea:

-used to be harder

-Moves to slow, not enough enemies on screen.

-didn’t play hard mode.

-Gyrostar >>>> Protothea.

Rock Band Track Pack:

-One Disc

Reader Questions:

Q:Favorite WiiWare Games?

A: Matt: Lost Winds.

Bozon: Lost Winds, Defend your Castle

Q: WiiWare a bargain?

A: Defend Your castle is.

Q:Kid Icarus mature experience art style wise?

A: No answer here just jokes about Teen Icarus

Q: New Zelda at E3?

A: They said no about Zelda. Bozon said they may see a new DS model show up. Everyone else questions him on it and he says the first rumbling may be going on

Q: Have you lost weight with WiiFit yet?

A: They are going to have a feature where Bozon loses weight with Wiifit.

Q: Gyrostar release?

A: No Idea and High Voltage apparently doesn’t know either!

Q: A Plethora of 3rd party titles coming at e3?

A: Thinks third party companies are shying away from E3. Bozon “goes on record†saying this is the last E3.

Q: WiiWare games using balance board?

A: None they know of.

Q: Will in game micro transactions hurt WiiWare?

A: Don’t think it will hurt WiiWare. Dameon thinks the FF DLC isn’t actually DLC it may just be unlocking exiting items.

Q: Any idea what the Nintendo Power hinting at with the moon?

A: Matt thinks its Castlevania.

Q: Retro Next project ideas?

A: It may be those Metroid Prime 1 & 2 rumors, they don’t know.

Q: Rumors of WarioWare game using the WiiBoard?

A: You don’t need a rumor to tell you that. They don’t actually confirm the game just joke about how that would be a no brainer for Nintendo.

Q: Video reviews of WiiWare games at Ign?

A: Yes

Q: What did Craig show Matt last week?

A: The Design document for “That thingâ€

Q: Nintendo neglecting the DS?

A: Starting to think this is the part where Nintendo steps away, lets third parties handle the system. Bozon thinks there will be a new hand held next year, Fran thinks they are just being quiet about it.

Q: Do you think if the Mario Baseball Game is the only Nintendo Published game over the summer?

A: No. They name no examples or even hint at examples, just say that Nintendo likes making money.

Although I agree that it's ridiculous that Nintendo hasn't given us HDD support yet, anyone who doens't think it's a minority is dumb. It's a multi-million selling console, do you think that most people have 25+ games and a shitload of VC games? I think not. Still, it needs to be solved.

Most Wii owners probably don't know it has an online service at all. A survey showed that only 30% of people who bought a PS3 knew it had a blu-ray player...

I'm sure that had a lot to do with quite a lot of people not knowing what the hell blu-ray actually is.

Cheese is better than watermelon.

This is why it's retarded that people write these transcripts and take everything out of context. Half of the bullet points they have are answers to retarded reader questions on their board as there's a section in the podcasts devoted to answering questions each week, even if the questions are a bit on the poor side.

They joke around with answers too as the podcast is a "fun" thing, it's not deadly serious hard info and it's not meant to be, just a weekly entertaining thing for Nintendo fans to listen too. Yet people make these transcripts like they're all deadly serious points and answers.

An example from this week's one, that "transcript" says there's lots of "Bashing" on FF: My Life is a King. There's no hard bashing at all, there's lighthearted jokes about the nature of putting the Final Fantasy name on a town sim but I mean the guy reviewing it (Daemon Hatfield or something) says the more he plays it the more he likes it.

Things are really vague too and give the wrong idea what they mean in those transcripts. When it says "they" didn't know Blackstar was going up before Gyrostarr on Wiiware, it doesn't mean IGN didn't know, it means the developer High Voltage themselves didn't know as it was Nintendo's decision.

Aye, I find the summaries handy because they remind you what happened in the podcast when you come on here to discuss it. The bullet points help jog your memory... but yeah, the summaries don't give the whole picture. I'll listen later- looking forward to hearing some views on Wiiware.

Although I agree that it's ridiculous that Nintendo hasn't given us HDD support yet, anyone who doens't think it's a minority is dumb. It's a multi-million selling console, do you think that most people have 25+ games and a shitload of VC games? I think not. Still, it needs to be solved.

The thing is its hurting Nintendo in the long run. I know there are bound to be loads of people like myself who would go nuts and buy alot of VC games but simply cant be bothered with the load deleting and then redownloading that needs to be done. With WiiWare around the corner its just goiung to get worse.

The thing is its hurting Nintendo in the long run. I know there are bound to be loads of people like myself who would go nuts and buy alot of VC games but simply cant be bothered with the load deleting and then redownloading that needs to be done. With WiiWare around the corner its just goiung to get worse.

In the long run it makes absolutely no difference, if it hurts them it's in the short term and it only hurts a handful of people who buy a lot of games and download a lot of VC games. SPecially considering that Iwata already admited this problem, this isn't a problem for them in the long run at all. You have to the understand, that we, the "dedicated" gaming community is really a small percentage.

That doesn't mean they don't need to fix it though