N-Europe

Is it racist to be anti-immigration?

Balfron

The Polish have moved in round my area, even Polish shops are opening. They don't particually make an effort to learn english and they're ignorant. I don't think half of them work and there probly all on benefits. So no i don't think it is.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Polish have moved in round my area, even Polish shops are opening. They don't particually make an effort to learn english and they're ignorant. I don't think half of them work and there probly all on benefits. So no i don't think it is.

See I'd argue against that, Poles are one group of immigrants that I do like, they are hard working the ones I've met, bring skills to the country and do speak english (of sorts!)

Anyway he is my take on it all.

Immigration can be related to racism, but not all the time. I do not consider myself racist, but I do take issues with the Immigration policy of the UK. We do seem to just let anybody in, I don't know the stats but I do accept that a lot of people do come here and work their socks off and as such do help towards societies running in that capacity.

The arguement that they are stealing all the jobs, isn't true in all cases, unemployment is at it's lowest level ever, I do however understand why people can be aggrieved at such things, I once went to a group interview for a job and was the only English person there, there were 3 poles a bulgarian and an Indian man he barely spoke English and had his wife with him translating, I was dumbfounded to find I didn't get the job, yet next time I went in the store saw this man working, stuggling to communicate with people.

I think this is my biggest issue the language aspect, if people don't learn the language I don't see how we can be expected to justify helping them, I've met plenty of immigrants who do learn the language and it is quite not funny, but "funny" to hear them picking up all this little nuances of our language. However this language barrier is a global thing, there are whole "british" areas of Spain full of people living the high life who have no intention of learning the spanish language and never will, I'm sure the same can be said for tons of other countries.

Another aspect of this is people not intergrating into society and keeping themselves to themselves, this is not what it should be like, what ever happened to neighbourhood's that got on together? Even in my 23 years I've seen the changes in this, first neighbourhood I lived in knew everyone and then its kept getting worse and worse, in this house I live in now know the next door neighbour and that's it. Could be argued that I should go round and introduce myself etc... but the fact is I rarely even see the people so wouldn't know what to expect.

I think the richer nations of the EU need to do more to help support the poorer countries and help raise the standard of living in these countries so not as many people feel the need to. The Euro is one way of doing this as it gives them all a level playing field so to speak, as they are not affected by poor conversion rates, however it is not nearly enough. We are not the only country with this problem, France also has a problem, and I'm sure plenty others do as well...

I also do not see why we are not allowed to promote certain values. virtues etc... or not celebrate the traditions and religions we have had all these years. If we went to a lot of other countries we would see marches through the streets in the name of religion and they wouldn't think twice about doing that, and why should they? I think the whole not celebrating Christmas or displaying it in schools etc... as it could offend is crap as well. Just because somebody doesn't share my religious and spritual beliefs does not mean I'd be offended by them I'd simply respect their rights as an individual to belief what they want to.

I do however think this issue is a dying issue so to speak. Our children will likely grow up in a country where this the norm for them. It is mostly the elderly who are racist, my gran says plenty of racist things and is fully aware of what she is saying but does not see anything wrong with it as that is the way they were brought up and as such my Dad seems to have a more downgraded version of this, he will make the odd comment that could be taken the wrong way, but isn't definitively racist. It's just the culture has changed and as we all become more and more diversified it soon won't become an issue.

Anyway the likely hood is that we are all descendants of one or another form of immigrants (Romans, Saxons, Vikings) so this arguement could be seen as faulted in that respect.

I've skipped most of this thread, but I'd like to say that ginger chris's first paragraph pretty much sums it up for me, immigrants should be able to give at least what they take if not more(and both my parents weren't born here btw). It should be about what you can contribute to the country, not where you're from.

Wait, are they coming over here to steal our jobs or not to work and claim benefits? Seems to change from one day to the next!

I think these topics are great, because it shows how illogical and downright batshit-insane most people's opinions are. And it's a great laugh seeing people put "I'm not a racist, but" before saying something racist.

I think these topics are great, because it shows how illogical and downright batshit-insane most people's opinions are. And it's a great laugh seeing people put "I'm not a racist, but" before saying something racist.

Well people are so easily labled racist you have to defend your self before you can say anything non-pc.

And i love how you are contributing to a fairly well rounded debate by spouting crap.

hell no it isnt racist what i said... tax paying young british citizens who have children should have the right to priority to housing in their homeland, that should be a formality imo... not based on a who deserves it basis, but based on a basic decency basis...
You want otherwise equal groups to be selected on basis of etnicity. That's the fucking definition of racism.

I hate the attitude of anyone saying "I was born here and I therefore deserve this and that". Why the hell does it give you more rights when you have a certain citizenship?

You want otherwise equal groups to be selected on basis of etnicity. That's the fucking definition of racism.

I hate the attitude of anyone saying "I was born here and I therefore deserve this and that". Why the hell does it give you more rights when you have a certain citizenship?

He said nothing about ethnicity. He said a british citizen should get first dibbs, whether he be white black yellow or purple. He didnt say white people get first choice and the blacks next did he?

get your facts straight before you throw the racist lable around.

what do more can you expect from a geordie who looks like he failed the blues brothers audition?

Come on, you can do better than that. Get the location right at least, I'm not a Geordie.

Well people are so easily labled racist you have to defend your self before you can say anything non-pc.

And i love how you are contributing to a fairly well rounded debate by spouting crap.

Did you read the quote in the post you quoted? I feel like you totally missed the point of what he was saying, funny though, because it sort of helped his point in my eyes.

It does make sense that people born here should have some more rights than those not, as the people born here are likely born from families who HAVE contributed to the country. However, this is not an alternative to immigrants being let in on a basis of whether they will drain or provide for the country overall, both things can exist at the same time surely?

learn to accept i am not racist...

Good Day

He's right though, it's not. I mean, you're not racist but...

To answer the original question, which I think I didn't, No. Having given it some though, considered my own situation and that of others, No. It isn't racist to be anti-immigration unless you are anti-immigration because you hate people who aren't english/british/where you're from. I see it as simple as that, am I wrong?

It isn't racist to be anti-immigration unless you are anti-immigration because you hate people who aren't english/british/where you're from. I see it as simple as that, am I wrong?

It's interesting that I actually posted my original post on another forum too, and the discussion came up with that point over there as well. I would disagree. I don't think motive is that important in relation to racism. A racist policy is one which discriminates between races, regardless of whether that was it's original purpose or not.

Where was racism mentioned i said Ethnicicity that is on the basis of skin colour.

Skipping over the fact that ethnicity is not only to do with skin colour... Racism was mentioned in the thread title. As I said in my original post "racism is discrimination on the grounds of a person's... ethnic background".

Oh and just to set the record straight, I'm not accusing anyone of being stark raving mad, a member of the KKK, a 'monster' or anything like that!