Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

"Meaningless Post" thread changes.

Shorty

In case you haven't seen the announcement, the latest post in the thread itself or the link in my sig - head there now to see why it has been locked for 24 hours. We just want to raise attention to the new rules.

As I say in that big wall of text, we can't really stop the flow of the thread. I have to admit, even I have wanted to post in there already since it was closed! I just got an amazing deal from my phone provider when I threatened to leave them, and really wanted to mention it in that thread. Things like that remain fine!

However it's the utterly useless and spam posts that we want to get rid of, and action will be taken by all the red and blue names in charge of that board.

Feel free to discuss the changes or ask questions here.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to draw a fine line between spam and stuff that is of meaning (well in this case is meaningless, but you know what I mean).

At the moment it isn't obviously there.

Also, in regards to the thread's function:

When people post a question that isn't really worthy of a thread of it's own, but is of some importance (ie if they want to know what to do regarding a social issue, as a apposed to what they should have for lunch...), and they just want people to post back suggestions at semi-random, then it should probably, IMO, be allowed.

Telling people to just make a new thread for each question is a bit of an odd idea: there are lots of questions on the MPOTD thread anyway, so all we'll end up with is loads of threads, and therefore a lot of people who's issues have not been "dealt with" by us.

I'm not saying that you should turn the forum into some kind of "Hey, have you got a problem? Come and tell us about it!" site, but just be a bit more...I dunno what the right phrase is...open minded(?).

I didn't say a new thread should be made for questions, actually. And what I did say is that, although I'm asking people to use the thread better, we're not going to do anything to greatly enforce the usage. Rather we just want to stop people thinking they're allowed to run in and say "morning! (tententen)".

But y'know, most forums get on just fine without any kind of general or meaningless thread.... We never had one in the first howevermany years, and nobody felt that the board had a problem functioning.

I didn't say a new thread should be made for questions, actually.

Maybe I'm just loosing it...:indeed:

And what I did say is that, although I'm asking people to use the thread better, we're not going to do anything to greatly enforce the usage. Rather we just want to stop people thinking they're allowed to run in and say "morning! (tententen)".

If you are saying that people who post something which is less than 10 characters (answers to questions that are that short are probably contained within the homework thread) are going to get punished, which I'm pretty sure you are, then I, for one, totaly support that idea.

The same goes if you are allowing people to use the thread as it's current "main" use is: posting stuff that has meaning to at least one person, or more, but not spam.

Oh, and I'm actually not trying to arse-kiss... I actually honestly support this idea. :D

But y'know, most forums get on just fine without any kind of general or meaningless thread.... We never had one in the first howevermany years, and nobody felt that the board had a problem functioning.

Apart from the people on here (again, I'm not trying to arse-kiss, the appearance it purely coincidental), the MPOTD is what makes this forum, to me at least, that extra bit cooler than all the others...

Guest Stefkov

There has been a lot of spam in there, many random things have happened in there which contribute to the forum I think.

Closing it is a good move. Get's rid of the spammers who only post in there, I've kinda wanted to post in there already aswell.

Im going to repost this aswell, as I wouldnt mind other peoples input on this - Even if it doesnt directly affect things, Id like to hear folks opinion.

Hmmmm. Maybe a section of this site called "Another Realm" or some such ala this very similar website ;

Another Realm @ HCRealms

It has like Games threads, Random Comments etc, and NONE OF THE THREADS add to post count - So that clears that up. I know theres a lot of folk here, who really dont care about post count, but would love to see an area like this. I also understand that it is extremely unlikely this will happen, but Im throwing it out there anyway.

What is the reason for not actually wanting ;

A) A general chit chat thread

B) A section like above.

If its bandwith constraints or some such, maybe a donor system should be implemented with PM and Avatar bonues, Id certainly donate to this excellent site - I love the people here.

ReZ, we just don't want spam and stuff like that... yes we could have a stupid spam board where there are no posts added, but that's so messy and leads to people posting images and all sorts of crap that we don't want to see here, and thinking that it means they can break the rules. (Although if you like, I'll see what the other reds and blues think of a postcount-free spam thread board...)

As I said in the MPT details, I'd rather see people using the #cube-europe chat room :) there was once a time when that place was totally packed out, a few years ago I was in there every day with up to 50 people and having a great laugh. Chat rooms were invented for general chat, forums were invented for proper discussions, debates, questions and news.

There's an announcement stickied to the top of each board. If people don't see that and carry on their old ways, we'll just enforce the rule. Then they'll learn :)

Yeah, I think it could work. On the one I posted you're not allowed to post images anyway.

The thing with a "spam board" in comparison to a Chat room is that, the casual member IE me cant go to the chat, and look at what was talked about, whereas in say a Random Comments Thread or discussion, I can post part of my discussion, leave, folk will discuss it and I can come back, pick up where we left off and read and discuss some more.

The reason I am passionate about this, is because I have laughed so much from reading discussions on the board I linked to. If one was here with these folk it would be great - and with the correct rules in place it wont be abused.

Meh, it's only 24 hours. I'm not questioning you or anything, but it may have been a bad move in some ways, and we'll end up seeing a lot less of certain members.

I doubt anyone will leave over the fact that we've closed a thread for 24 hours.

I do most of my posting on the MPoTD thread and I think that this is a good move. Tightening up on it can only be a good thing. If we are to see a better quality of discussion on these boards we need to see more threads.

I doubt anyone will leave over the fact that we've closed a thread for 24 hours.

I never said anyone would leave. There's a lot of people that tend to make most of their posts in that thread, which aren't spam, but the 'make a goddamned blog' thing kind of restricts these people from posting.

Well, I don't know, if it has a hit on the servers I don't mind, actually it's the good thing to do. But you see a lot of chat threads in other forums and they're cool, just like meaningless post was. Of course, abusive spam has to be taken care of.

But, don't wannna second guess you just saying my thoughts.

I personally think this has been blown out of all proportion. To me it seems like it is a muscle flexing exercise.

Lock it for 24hours? what is that going to achieve? nothing just show that the mods can do it.

As for the chat room, the link at top of the page doesn't work. how about getting it working before you go throwing your weight around?

I have nothing against the mods what so ever and they do a great job on here. but i will critisis where i feel necessary.

I feel this could have been handled better.

Lock it for 24hours? what is that going to achieve? nothing just show that the mods can do it.
People who come here to see the thread will wonder where it is, look at it and take notice of the last post, with the new rules.

Without locking it, the new rules would disappear quickly, any N-E regular knows how fast that thread moves, the page would change in no time. Is 24 hours really that big a deal to you lot? It's just one tiny day of your lives. Go out and get a job or plant a tree or something if you can't handle it.

Edit:

As for the chat link at the top of this page, it works, it just points to an obsolete room that never took off. You can click it then type

/join #cube-europe

to get to our room, or get an irc client like the one linked to in my sig. I'll ask the people with ftp access about getting the link fixed.

A personal note....

I feel like I have to be really defensive here. Our main point is that we're cracking down on spam and are giving you guys one day's warning. If you don't heed the warning and carry on regardless, you might find yourself banned from the thread for a little while. We don't run this site from some kind of perverse power-obsessed angle -- we just moderate it, trying to keep things under control. When one person posts stupid spam posts, several people tend to follow. Yes, it's partly for our sake, to make our jobs a little easier (jobs, you guys often forget, we do for free in our own time, between work and studies) - but its also for the sake of the overall quality of the boards.

I was proud of these boards even in the n64/C-E times when I was a regular member. The moderating was even stricter back then with people like Sven and Svt4Him in charge. I want to remain proud of these boards now that the responsibility is partly mine too.

A personal note....

I feel like I have to be really defensive here. Our main point is that we're cracking down on spam and are giving you guys one day's warning.

*jumps to Shorty's side*

Now I actually understand what the purpose of this little 'operation' is, I'm willing to say I strongly support it. :awesome:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to maths revision/ attempted peace-keeping in the Jimi Hendrix appreciation thread...

About the chat page, the chat doesn't even want to load for me (probably cause I'm on a Mac?). Though I don't remember it ever working on my computer either; it would never connect me to the chat. =/

The chat never loads for me either and I'm not on a mac. I agree the pointless spammy posts should be gone but I really love the meaningless post thread as it is.

Would a simpler solution be to stop any posts in that thread from contributing to your post count? I'm sure this can be done right?

Just an idea.

Here's an idea: for people who spam, the punishment should be not only a temporary thread ban, but a reduction of their post count (if thats easy to do without going back and deleting a load of their posts manually)...

Here's an idea: for people who spam, the punishment should be not only a temporary thread ban, but a reduction of their post count (if thats easy to do without going back and deleting a load of their posts manually)...
Read the second new rule :heh:
About the chat page, the chat doesn't even want to load for me (probably cause I'm on a Mac?). Though I don't remember it ever working on my computer either; it would never connect me to the chat. =/
You might need the latest Java installed and to make sure pop-ups aren't being blocked. Alternatively grab an irc client like the one in my sig, pick one of the "Quakenet" servers out of the list when you connect and join the #cube-europe room.

I do kinda agree, as there are many users who just post there to raise there already massive postcounts.

I still think it should be used for discussion, even if it's random discussion. After all, it is a discussion forum.

Why can't the chat just work for everyone? why do we have to download this that and the next to make it work. the forums work ok with out it. so i will continue to use the forums to chat (until there is a chat that works like the forums do)

I have been here for a while, not as long as some of you but i have never had a problem with the way things worked before.

My bad...

...Or did you just add that now? :wink:

Actually no :heh: (although I did just edit out a typo so it looks like I did -_-)
Why can't the chat just work for everyone? why do we have to download this that and the next to make it work. the forums work ok with out it. so i will continue to use the forums to chat (until there is a chat that works like the forums do)

I have been here for a while, not as long as some of you but i have never had a problem with the way things worked before.

There's very little in the world of computers that can be made to run on every system, every browser, every OS. You can't browse the forums without getting a browser, can you? You can make a fuss about everything if you're just desperate to complain. And going to IRC by an IRC client happens to be far more popular and a much better method than connecting through some crappy java applet. However, as I already said, I'm talking to the staff with ftp access about sorting it....

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!