NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KingOfHyrule

British humour or American humour?

Being Irish, my sense of humour has been greatly influenced by British and Irish comedy and I just do not get the flamboyant American humour - how does everyone else feel?

Personally I think there is just no topping the likes of Bottom, Monty Python, Mr. Bean, Father Ted, The Fast Show, etc, etc. American humour rarely tickles me.

I prefer British Humour because it is more willing to mock itself and its subject, which imo means that it is less likely to take itself seriously in other subjects. Where as american humour can often be two dimensional.

There are quite a few American comedies I appreciate, not least the Simpsons, Futurama and Family Guy, which all have a wit and grasp of satire rarely seen in British Comedy. The English version of The Office was admittedly far funnier than the American offering, but I'd be inclined to say that it's the quality of the writing, not the country of origin that seems to be paramount.

lol british humour <3 Makes you think, although its rite in ur face.

American slapstick humour like eurotrip, austin powers and team america makes it so you dont need to think, its rite in ur face. great to watch when ur tired or not really wanting to think..

great topic btw :)

I love:

Monty Python

Father Ted

Black Adder

Spaced

Also:

Simpsons

Father Ted is Irish humour, The republic of Ireland is not in the united kingdom, therefore cannot be considered british comedy.

Father Ted is Irish humour, iThe republic of Ireland is not in the united kingdom, therefore cannot be considered british comedy.

well i suppose its sort of in the same category, but regardless of its location Father Ted rocks :D GO onnnn!!

i dont get Friends, it seems a bit....meh, but i love the simpsons.

There is a lot of good British humour, the likes of which have been mentioned. I often find that British humour is 'clever-er' than the Yank counterpart. Saying that, there is a lot of funny stuff coming out of America at the moment, so we'll see.

If anyone can, check out Jeff Foxworthy. He's a redneck from the US, and he's -very- funny.

I sometimes find that American comedy is too "obvious", i'm not sure how to explain it but its incredibly annoying and condisending.

Although Scrubs i find to be hullarious sometimes along with the others previously mentioned.

Father Ted is Irish humour, The republic of Ireland is not in the united kingdom, therefore cannot be considered british comedy.

No, it was released on 4 before rte.

Otis Lee Crenshaw is another funny american. He combines music and comedy and his redneck style whilst his style is preated in the us its rare over her

EDIT: Triple C - a program's nationality isnt determined by where its broadcasted first.

it is an irish comedy, its from ireland....... doesnt matter which country it was broadcast on first

Look it up it was made for channel 4, iits made to britain to laugh at us irish :p. A damn good job they did at it too. Also the majority of it was filmed in England.

Next time get your facts right :p

I hate it in American comedies when they have those fake back laughs. A prime example would be Friends, some burk walks in, and they laugh. What the hell is funny about that.

Can't beat British Comedies like Black Adder, Bottom and Mr Bean. Even newer stuff like Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights and Little Britain beat every American comedy. Only thing that comes close is Family Guy, but thats obviously different because its animation.

Look it up it was made for channel 4, iits made to britain to laugh at us irish :p. A damn good job they did at it too. Also the majority of it was filmed in England.

Next time get your facts right :p

its about irish people therefore its irish humour. no?

I hate it in American comedies when they have those fake back laughs. A prime example would be Friends

Wasn't Friends filmed infront of a live audience? Or at least screened infront of one.

I always got that impression anyhow.

British comedy i definiately like more.

The likes of Little Britian, The Office, Mighty Boosh are my current favourites.

Theres alot of variety there, something america seems to have less of. Their humour is sorta generic (but sometimes extremely good) but it kinda hits from the same angle. Whereas the office is quite unique and so is the mighty boosh.

Older comedies i love like Fawlty Towers, Dads Army, Monty Python, Blackadder, etc.

My favourite american comedy is stuff like the Simpson's or Family guy.

I also like freinds, its good. but i prefer british comedy.

its about irish people therefore its irish humour. no?

ermmm no thats like saying some movie based on mars is a martian movie. Its made by english people for the english market so there for its english.

Wasn't Friends filmed infront of a live audience? Or at least screened infront of one.

I always got that impression anyhow.

Yeah friends was recorded in front of a live audience to start with. They then changed to just use recordings.

I don't appreciate one over the other. Whatever makes me laugh is good enough for me, although you do get MAD PROPS for mentioning Bottom. A great comedy indeed.

Its gotta be british comedies like little britain, monkey dust(the pedo finder general is class), blackadder, red dwarf, the mighty boosh etc. However the Americans do make some good cartoon comedys e.g. futurama, family guy etc.

Generally I prefer American tv, bigger, glossier and better (IMO and I know being bigger and glossier doesn't always mean its better). Same with comedies, its not that I don't appreciate British humour, but it draws upon British life, and to me thats meh. I don't deny it, I'd rather live in America.

Besides, I prefer to watch TV with subtle comedy. I mean I watch Frasier and catch Friends repeats at times, as well as The Simpsons and Futurama but give me the Sex and the City, Buffy/Angel and Veronica Mars any day. Some nice comedy in them all. Just watched a new ep of VM and I laughed so many times, so many great comments. Such as Charisma Carpenter's arse being referred to as "totally awesome". So true.

Let's have a think...

British:

Bottom

The Young Ones

The Mighty Boosh

The Royle Family

The Fast Show

The Office

The Day Today

Little Britain

Mike Bassett (Film and Telly)

Black Adder

Mr. Bean

Red Dewarf ;)

Fawlty Towers

I'm Alan Partridge

Then there's the Quiz shows:

Never Mind The Buzzcocks

They Think It's All Over

QI

Mock The Week

American:

Friends

The Simpsons

Family Guy

South Park

And yankee bathtard films such as Team America, Austin Powers (specifically Goldmember), the stupid ones such as Hot Shots and Hot Shots: Part Deux, Airplane. And many Jim Carrey films (but Jim Carrey is Canadian, oh well), Ace Ventura, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar.

But, I think Brit humour is better, some of the stuff on those programmes are complete genius. (The Mighty Boosh, The Young Ones etc.)

Sign in to follow this