N-Europe

Potentially habitable planet found

Nah because then apparently some alien can come from nowhere and destroy the ship and kill the most kickass marines in their sleep, and so starts the shit that is Alien 3 (awaits Fierce_LiNk rampage). As regards to the news story it seemed a bit futile as they considered Mars in the same bracket as this new one. We all know Martians don't exist...

NEVER say a bad thing about Alien 3.

Joe's Reason for hating Alien3: "OMG! DEY KILLED HIX AND NOOT!"

Get over it. They're gone, man. GONE.

This does sound pretty funky. However, the question is, will we ever have the technology to get to it? If not, then it's all a rather pointless exercise.

Guest Stefkov

I saw the picture in the Metro. Sounds really awesome.

I'd love to be double the weight I am now. See what double gravity does to you.

Hmmm.... I find it interesting that we would assume that life formed on other planets would be based on our make-up. Makes me worried that if we met another race that we would accidentilly squish it because we thought it was a rock. It wouldn't be that hard especially seeing as how our definitions of "life" is pretty shakey.

But yeah I'm with Ginger. Don't get excited.

send a cow there. that is my answer. or perhaps send a tortuse egg and let it hatch on the ship. it might make it there before it dies of old age. or have a colony of humans (Battlestar Gallactica) travel there and their grandchildren can colonise the planet in the name of humanity.

or have a colony of humans (Battlestar Gallactica) travel there and their grandchildren can colonise the planet in the name of humanity.

They are going to be so pissed with us when the planet is a huge ball of ice.

Before anything can happen we'll have to await the ESA's Darwin project. They're going to launch several telescopes, each more powerful than the Hubble, and they're going to be able to measure the chemical composition of atmosphere of plantes like this. If they measure water vapour and a considerable amount of oxygen for example, then it's extremely likely there is life present. The project is planned for launch some time after 2020 though.

Also, there are plans for devices that could potentially photograph these exoplanets directly.

They are going to be so pissed with us when the planet is a huge ball of ice.

Before anything can happen we'll have to await the ESA's Darwin project. They're going to launch several telescopes, each more powerful than the Hubble, and they're going to be able to measure the chemical composition of atmosphere of plantes like this. If they measure water vapour and a considerable amount of oxygen for example, then it's extremely likely there is life present. The project is planned for launch some time after 2020 though.

Also, there are plans for devices that could potentially photograph these exoplanets directly.

That date was before NASA backed out of the Planet Finder project - a joint venture with the Darwin project.