NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
stuwii

American shootings

At least 22 people have been killed and 21 more injured after a gunman went on the rampage at the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia, US.

Police say there were two separate shooting incidents - one at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a student dormitory, and Norris Hall, an engineering building.

The incidents were about two hours apart. Police say they believe there was one gunman and that he is dead.

The state university in the town of Blacksburg is home to 26,000 students.

"We have a ballpark figure on fatalities. It's at least 20 fatalities," Virginia Tech police chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Rescue hampered

Speaking at a news conference, Mr Flinchum said that emergency services had received a call at 0715 (1215 GMT) alerting them to a multiple shooting at West Ambler Johnston Hall.

He said that two hours later there was a second report of shooting, this time at Norris Hall.

A fleet of ambulances has ferried the injured to nearby hospitals however, rescue efforts were reportedly hampered by high winds which meant that medical helicopters could not be used.

Mr Flinchum said that police believed there had been just one shooter involved and that he was now dead at Norris Hall.

He said it was unclear if the assailant was a student, but said that a number of the victims were.

"Some of the victims were shot in a classroom," Mr Flinchum said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said, adding that the university was in the process of informing the next of kin of those killed.

Mr Steger said that officials were in the process of evacuating remaining students and staff from campus and that the university was now closed.

One of my friends is spending this year studying in Virginia Tech. I can't get in contact with her.....

What could drive a man to inflict such pain on his fellow humans? Makes me so damn angry.

One of my friends is spending this year studying in Virginia Tech. I can't get in contact with her.....

Dude, try not to worry about it right now. There may be reasons why she can't reach her phone, ie, all hell is breaking loose and she probably hasn't thought to get in contact.

Horrible, though, and it probably won't be the last time something like this happens. :hmm:

I wonder how long it will take for this to be blamed on video games, maybe they'll find a copy of counter-strike in his/her room.

I hope she's alright mate.

What the hell would posses someone to be such a c*nt and destroy so many peoples lives!?

Cue Jack Thompson...

Seriously, I don't how people can be so messed up in the head.

Worse thing is they will have some speech from Bush promising a change, nothing will happen and in a few months there will be another shooting.

Dude, try not to worry about it right now. There may be reasons why she can't reach her phone, ie, all hell is breaking loose and she probably hasn't thought to get in contact.

Horrible, though, and it probably won't be the last time something like this happens. :hmm:

they said on the news that all the phone lines are jammed with people trying to phone loved ones so that might be why she hasnt got in contact

they said on the news that all the phone lines are jammed with people trying to phone loved ones so that might be why she hasnt got in contact

Exactly. Thank you, Buttons of Magic.

Conzer dude, we're all here for ya, but try to remain upbeat. We all hope your friend is ok. :)

This makes me feel sick and want to cry. Stupid people with stupid guns. =(

Police say they believe there was one gunman and that he is dead.

How did he die?

Hopefully she's ok. I cant get thru to her American phone but a text delivered to her Irish mobile so hopefully that's a good sign.

According to Sky News te shooter went into an Engineering building and thats probably where my friend is. She's over studying Engineering...

This is pretty surreal.

I hope she's ok.

Sky news just showed some moblie phone footage...

jeez

Eyewitness reports are that he was an Asian male in his 20s, a Biology major.

This is getting so common to the point I don't even feel sorry.

Sign in to follow this