NEurope
flameboy

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

Capcom are love with moblephones

Capcom Interactive, Inc., a leading publisher and developer of interactive entertainment for the mobile platform, announced the development of four new titles including mobile versions of the seminal Mega Man II® and Street Fighter II®, as well an all music version of their Who Wants To Be A Millionaire® mobile game dubbed Millionaire Music EditionTM. Also announced was Shade IITM, a new massively multiplayer mobile game that allows players to play online across mobile networks. The announcement was made at the company's annual Gamer's Day event held yesterday in San Francisco.

"We feel strongly that our continued success in mobile must come through quality of product, diversity in our portfolio, true innovation in design and seamless deployment,"

said Midori Yuasa, president, Capcom Interactive, Inc. "The titles we announced today do an excellent job of illustrating the scope and breadth of our product offerings, and our commitment to the mobile space."

The titles announced at the Gamer's Day event span a broad spectrum of genres including action platform, fighting, casual trivia and role playing. Details include:

Shade II - Set in a fantasy world, Shade was the first mobile game to incorporate a full featured massively multiplayer role playing experience onto a handset. Shade II will expand the existing world and bring many exciting new features to the already deep gameplay. The robust character creation system allows the player to specialize in melee weapons, ranged weapons, spells or healing attributes through play as opposed to assigning character points. Additionally, the game will support advanced MMO features such as boats and steeds for fast travel, PVP as well as cooperative modes of play, community features such as clan naming and private messaging, tons of loot and of course massive environments to explore. Shade II is expected to be available on BREW and Java handsets in Q1 of '08

Mega Man II - The classic action platformer that defined the genre has made its way to mobile. As the robotic blue bomber, Mega Man, the player must battle through 14 levels and defeat eight robot masters before tackling the nefarious Dr. Wily. Mega Man II will be available this June for both BREW and Java handsets.

Street Fighter II - Test your mettle against the greatest fighters in the world including Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, E Honda, Blanka, Zangief, Guile and Dhalsim in this classic coin-op gone mobile. Built from the ground up to play fast and frenetic on today's handsets, this classic fighter is a key-press-for-key-press carbon copy of the arcade legend, with all the moves, sounds and combinations that define the franchise. Street Fighter II will be available this June for both BREW and Java handsets.

Millionaire Music Edition - From the general to the obscure and eclectic, Millionaire Music Edition tests players' knowledge of all things music with 1,000 mind-bending questions. Like the syndicated TV show, the game begins with common knowledge $100 questions and culminates with $1 million questions to challenge even true devotees of the genre. To help players progress through the game, four lifelines are available including - "Ask the Audience," "50:50," "Phone a Friend" and the recently added "Switch a Question." Millionaire Music Edition will ship in mid-May for BREW and Java handsets.

why has there been no game license for 300.... better still I want to see lego do spartans

IGN's Hand-On

Capcom unveiled the latest version of its now-classic survival horror title (re-dubbed Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition) at its Gamers Day event in San Francisco on Thursday. Naturally, we were on hand and ready to give the re-worked title a go with the new Wii remote-improved controls. And they are improved -- the Wii endeavor delivers the definitive Resident Evil 4 experience at a bargain price, but we'll get to that. Before we do, though, humor us as we take you through a commercial-like video Capcom previewed in an attempt to outline the development philosophy behind this latest rendition. Apparently this is survival horror for mom, dad, and maybe grandma, too.

The trailer opened on a hip, young couple enjoying RE4 for Wii in a IKEA-modeled living room. As her boyfriend stares intently at the screen, the woman says, "Wow. That's amazing. That's so great. And what's that?" The scene cuts to the chief villager and the woman cringes in fear at the sight of him. "I got 'em all," the man says, blasting away at the trademark foes from the title. Just then, the village chief materializes in their living room and takes the girl hostage, at which point the man stands up and uses the Wii remote to shoot at the enemy character and other villagers -- all rendered for the purposes of this promotional piece. Once he's capped them all, his girlfriend smiles and runs into his arms; in the background, we can see their television screen, where Ashley has run into Leon's embrace.

We understand that the Wii is potentially a gateway to new markets. Wii Sports and Wario Ware have already found their way into the homes of untraditional players. And yet, we don't think too many families will be crowding around the television together to watch Leon S. Kennedy get his head chainsawed off after he has used a shotgun to cut villagers in half. "Look at that, dad -- you see the way I blew his legs out from beneath him? Here, you try."

"RE4 has sold more than three million copies around the world and with the Wii version, we are focusing on improving the interface and being able to interact with the game via the Wii remote," said the title's producer Masachika Kawata during Capcom's presentation. "We on the development staff feel that the Wii is perfectly suited for the point-and-shoot style of gameplay that comes with the series." And having played the finished product, we couldn't agree more.

Resident Evil 4 for Wii is the GCN game with the PS2 extras. What you get is the core GCN title plus both the added content and true 16:9 widescreen mode that the PS2 iteration brought to the table. The Ada Wong missions are in and the black bars are out, in other words. And on top of that, you get to control Leon with the nunchuk and aim at enemies with pinpoint accuracy using the Wii remote. It looks better than it ever has before and it plays better, too. So if you're a Wii owner who never got around to playing this acclaimed project when it initially debuted, you are in for an absolutely treat this summer when the title ships.

"At first touch it may seem like the controls are hard to adapt to, but after five minutes you will be running around blasting zombies left and right," said Kawata. Honestly, it took us about 30 seconds.

The fundamentals have not changed. It's not as though you are suddenly going to be running through Resident Evil 4 with new first-person shooter controls, but the old system has been made superior with the addition of the Wii remote. You control Leon with the nunchuk's analog stick, Z button is held to run and you can press the C button to draw Leon's knife, although that is not necessary because you can simply shake the Wii remote at any time to slice and dice. You aim with the Wii remote and it works brilliantly, enabling you to achieve head-shots with ease if you have any idea what you're doing. As you travel through the game's selection of spooky locations, you will find yourself walking or running and easily targeting with the on-screen reticule -- no longer a laser pointer, but now a full-blown circle. You'll still have to stop moving to shoot, though, which may be the biggest disappointment since the added maneuverability of the Wii remote would seem ideal for simultaneous running and gunning. Still, the pause to pop off shots -- handled with the A button -- is probably an integral element to the sense of character vulnerability that the series promotes. Wii owners who have grown accustomed to pointing the Wii remote at the corner of the screen to drag the viewpoint to the left or right will find that's not possible in RE4 for Nintendo's new console; you still turn the screen with the analog stick regardless of the reticule's position. The - button brings up Leon's inventory, the map is assigned to the 1 button and game options are linked to the 2 button.

There are a variety of context-sensitive actions that have been re-mapped to gestures on the Wii remote. When Leon is fighting the giant ogre-boss El Gigante, you must slash at the beast's exposed top by shaking the pointer and when the villagers get a hold of the character, you'll have to do the same to bust him free. When Leon must run from a rolling boulder, the only way to survive is to shake the Wii remote left and right. Meanwhile, you'll need to rapidly tap A, B, or both in order to avoid certain environmental traps.

We asked the title's producer all sorts of reader-submitted questions about additional alterations to the game and, really, there are none. There's no online mode or downloadable extras planned and the game won't be running at 60 frames a second all of a sudden. But even without what would've been admittedly welcomed inclusions or enhancements, the added true 16:9 mode, Ada Wong Missions and, most importantly, new Wii controls, make this the best version of Resident Evil 4 ever.

Kawata-san, who calls RE4: Wii Edition the "definitive version of the game," told us that the effort would ship with a reduced price tag, although Capcom would not go on record with an exact figure. Retail sites across the Web have been listing the sales price for a solid week, though, and it's $29.99. That is an incredible bargain for an outstanding title.

LOL, yes. I've completed RE4 3 times already, and I wanna play this.

sounds awesome..simply cannot wait, there is not one quibble in that hands on (ok so it does say about 60fps, but nevermind)...great to see the wii getting plenty of adult titles in this second half of the year, further widening it's demographics...

Im considering picking this up. Ive never been a big fan of playing the Resi Evil games, only watching people play them but watching someone play through RE4 on the cube I have to admit that it did look very good.

Im considering picking this up. Ive never been a big fan of playing the Resi Evil games, only watching people play them but watching someone play through RE4 on the cube I have to admit that it did look very good.

Resi 4 plays nothing like any other Resi Evil. It's like a totally different type of survival horror game. Get it.

Yeah thats what ive been told, which is another reason why I am actually considering it this time. Has there been a release date announced yet?

Wow ign recon this is the best version already....That sounds good. Still pity you cant run and gun though:(

Wow ign recon this is the best version already....That sounds good. Still pity you cant run and gun though:(
They're holding that one for Resident Evil 5 Wii :laughing:

Imo, of course it's going to be the best version. It's the GC version, which was graphically better than the PS2 version. Then, it's also got the additional features from the PS2, which the GC didn't have. And then, Wiimote controls, so you're playing the game in a different way than before.

So, it's kinda like taking the best features from the GC and PS2 versions, and then adding some nice controls to round it off. :D

I'll definitely be getting this. Not missing out on it this time!

Yeah thats what ive been told, which is another reason why I am actually considering it this time. Has there been a release date announced yet?

Actually I gotta say I envy you. RE4 was one of the best, if not the best game of last generation in my opinion, and it still stands head and shoulders above most of the stuff we've seen so far this generation. Playing through this version of it for the first time will be pure bliss. Buy it at launch, you won't regret it.

Now here is a question...

Do I finish off RE4 on the GameCube (I'm at the annoying blind thing just after the part where the big flying bug things take Ashley), then do it again on the Wii, or do I just leave it and restart on the Wii version?

Will the Ada mission have GC graphics? It may sound stupid, but they werent made on the mighty 'Cube as far as I know so I'm wondering if it'll have PS2 graphics.

Will the Ada mission have GC graphics? It may sound stupid' date=' but they werent made on the mighty 'Cube as far as I know so I'm wondering if it'll have PS2 graphics.[/quote']

Most of the models are probably re-used from the main game, so it will be much easier for Capcom to make the "new" models into GC-quality models for the Ada mission than to port the PS2 version (lighting./graphics/engine, etc) over.

since I haven't finished the original game I'm going to get this. Watched it on the 1Up Show and it looked amazing, they said the controls were perfect.