N-Europe

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Nintenchris

I didn't get mine either, (but from GAME) hopefully it'll show up tomorrow. Not that I'm overly bothered mind you, as it means more uninterrupted Galaxy playtime! :yay:

When did you order?

Anyway, maybe it is inside the package but just folded up so it's really small. You should have a peek. :laughing:

My mum will have a look in a min, when she gets in, she bought it for me for Christmas and hates me seeing things early. :D

I preordered beginning of September, i reckon i may be too late!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Tsk, you guys with the money stacks. My social status at the moment is 'Student Class' so I have to pick and choose very acutely what I do with my pennies. I'll ask for it for good ole Chrissy.

I've been a student for 5 years and will be for another 4 (on gap year atm)

Complain!....

...Well if its a legitimate complaint.

Because of the shirt? I think it's because i preordered too late!

Hopefully it'll turn up seperately or something, but i doubt it.

Did anyone else preorder from GAME after September and not get a shirt?

I've been excited about this for a long time, I LOVE Olympics games and all they are button bashers. Will I like this? The frustrating controls - when you get used to them do they turn out good? How does Table tennis control - no review has said yet?

Check out the gametrailers review they explain abit about the controls and they say the table tennis is like Wii Play.

Check out the gametrailers review they explain abit about the controls and they say the table tennis is like Wii Play.

Sorta like Wii Play but not...more like Rockstar's Table Tennis

Bah, a lot of the time when you lose like a point in the table ten nis...it is because the controls or the computer itself has cheated you...thats the one bad thing about this game

Got mine today, no t-shirt either. Did anyone get one? They must have only had like 5 or something. :heh:

Anyway, first impressions of this were not good. Again another game lacking true widescreen support (completely unacceptable for a game of this magnitude) and then I had a shock when I discovered I couldn't even enter my name!

I was like "huh?" then I eventually realized it's because Manolito contains the word ano (anus in Spanish and Italian :indeed:), so I thought I'd put RedShell instead. Nope, can't use that either! Why? Because it contains the word hell. Could the censorship on this be any more excessive!? I'd understand if it was a case of disallowing proper swear words, but they really have taken it way too far. I hope Dick Van Dyke doesn't buy this game because he'll have real trouble! :laughing:

In the end I managed to enter my name by replacing the O with a 0, so up yours stupidly OTT name censor! :awesome:

Finally I got to the actual game, things got much better from that point on. Did a few 100m races which were good fun, frantically shaking the Wii Remote and Nunchuck works really well for that event. Table tennis is pretty good, but it seemed a bit slow. Might just be from going in to it right after a race though.

I completely failed at the long and triple jump, couldn’t seem to find the correct strength for the jump meter. I either don't get enough power or way too much. Hopefully just a case of practicing more.

But yeah, despite the initial complaints I actually think it's pretty good. Will definitely be great in multi-player, and it’s totally surreal seeing Mario and Sonic together in a game. :hehe:

You tried archery yet? Thats supposed to be one of the very best events in the entire game...

Oh and the most important question of all, does your proper Mii name display in the game when you start and finish events?

Screenshots released indicated that you could only have names of players within the character roster...

You tried archery yet? Thats supposed to be one of the very best events in the entire game...

Oh and the most important question of all, does your proper Mii name display in the game when you start and finish events?

Screenshots released indicated that you could only have names of players within the character roster...

When I played with my Mii in a Single Event it did have my name, however I havent tried the Circuits with my Mii yet so it may be different

Not tried archery yet, but when you use Mii's it does display the name. Luckily it doesn't apply the censorship to those. That would’ve been the last straw otherwise. :heh:

I played and played until I unlocked archery. And it's pretty addictive stuff.

The controls work very well. It is kind of jarring if you pull the nunchuck infront of the wiimote (obviously IR goes AWOL) but it is super addictive and the computer is very good at the event meaning it's tight until the end. Ace.

The only event I have had serious issues with so far is the triple jump. It is easier to watch the characters steps as they jump (rather than follow the on-screen prompts), but using the nunchck as a motion sensor is a flawed idea. This is why:

There is a box which is the "power" of each jump.

It is quite small and the slightest movement seems to send the power shooting out of the top of it (ala hitting too hard in Wii Sports Golf) but it is so sensitive that it's never consistent. Therefore you may nail the "hop" and then the "skip" but then the "jump" is buggered. And that's even with the wiimote. Think about it, your using one hand to dictate a specific "power" (as the wiimote seems much more sensitive than the nunchuck) and then your hand with the nunchuck must hardly move. It's stupid.

Then when you are overly sensitive nothing registers. There is no leeway.

Triple jump is a no-no. But don't let that put you off. Consider it a miniscule pimple on Sonics butt cheek. Indeed (apart from t-jump) this is kiddie cocaine. Thoroughly addictive. I've been using my mii more so than the "stars" and it just feels like a spiritual successor to Wii Sports. The replays are pretty good and you can't help but smile when your mii is launching a javelin into the crowd (I mean stratosphere).

A great game. But yeah, shame about the lack of widescreen. No excuse. Tut, tut, tut.

And some of those world records..They will be beaten. Doping or not.

Freaking Royal Mail have lost my copy. Just been on the phone to them and they said that it got shipped to Darlington and then its been held up. Im really getting sick of being screwed over either by the online company or royal mail. I it wasnt for the fact that the games are £10 cheaper on the net I would just got instore and buy them.

Triple jump is a no-no. But don't let that put you off. Consider it a miniscule pimple on Sonics butt cheek.
There's another pimple too I think, in the form of rowing.

Should have been so much better, I just don't understand why they put button combinations on it. Surely the motion control would have been enough? ::shrug:

You're spot on about archery though, it's completely awesome! :yay: Best use of the Wii controls along with Wii Sports and Eledees, it just works so incredibly well.

I'm also using my Mii a lot now, it's really quite amusing seeing yourself amongst the Nintendo and Sega crowd and it's also nice as you don't have to listen to the insanely repetitive phrases of the main characters. :heh:

Freaking Royal Mail have lost my copy. Just been on the phone to them and they said that it got shipped to Darlington and then its been held up. Im really getting sick of being screwed over either by the online company or royal mail. I it wasnt for the fact that the games are £10 cheaper on the net I would just got instore and buy them.
Unlucky mate. :sad:

That’s the only reason I get games online too, but yeah it’s irritating when the post lets you down.

So I had an "olympic" party as planned tonight:

7PM: People turned up and I noted there would be no Wario/Sports/Carnival Games. Boos and jeers rang supreme as memories of previous parties were remembered. (Vaguely!)

8PM: Booze was flowing and people presumed the booze was spiked as Mario and Sonic appeared on-screen. The demonstrations then began - Single events for those brave enough to get involved (read: everyone or instant Tequila).

9PM onwards: Tournaments started with everyone generally understanding what to do. And most ppl choose their own mii :o.

Highlights included an epic hammer/javelin throwing event between girls and guys and a brilliantly thought-up 8 player relay in the 400m relay and team-based competitive swimming. (2 teams of 4).

Everyone was having such a laugh and we ended up having no time for Wii Sports/Wario/Carnival Games. The best events were the "simple" ones such as the long jump/hammer throw/javelin/swimming/skeet shooting. (And, suprisingly, rowing...Because WITHOUT nunchuks it is A LOT better as the button presses are easier...And sitting down using only the 'mote like a paddle is much more fun ;) ) Booze for last place was also a highight :) Run fat boy run!!

My personal favourites (and the ones I showed off to "traditional" gamers) were archery, high jump and dream races (mario kart on foot!).

The added complexity of these events make the game truly feel like there is a "game" in there.

Infact, the online World Records mean you're constantly trying to get a "best" time ALL of the time. And really, competition is what the Olympics is all about.

Brilliant fun. Rent it, Buy it, play it, love it. (With friends of course)!

Sounds like you had a great night Tapedeck :)

EDIT: My copy finally arrived, yey!

Excellent!

More good news for ya! GAME emailed me stating that my t-shirt (Mario and Sonic Order) and free tips book (Mass Effect Order) will be arriving in the next 7 days! :yay:

Lets hope it's Team Mario! PLEASE!

Played a marathon multi-player session on this last night, my arms are killing me today!

Man I'm unfit. :laughing:

This game is dangerously fun when played with others, its right up there with Wii Sports. I really love Table Tennis now too, it's so cool when you get a rally of power shots going.

And, suprisingly, rowing...Because WITHOUT nunchuks it is A LOT better as the button presses are easier...And sitting down using only the 'mote like a paddle is much more fun ;)
Interesting, didn't play that event in multi-player (after my experience of it in single-player mode), will definitely try it out with just the Wii Remote now though, cheers. : peace:

GAME emailed me stating that my t-shirt (Mario and Sonic Order) will be arriving in the next 7 days! :yay:
Got that e-mail too! I continue to be surprised by GAME online, very good service. icon14.gif