• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

I :heart: Take me, I'm yours!! They didn't play it when I saw them, I was guuuutted.

Why are you so good? I would never have anticipated anyone here to actually know, let alone love, a B-side/cover by them.

:bowdown:

------

Dark End Of The Street EP - Cat Power

41vgUJp-7EL_SS500_.jpg

Bought this yesterday, as she is fantastic. More covers, like her last album, Jukebox, but this sounds...fuller. More like her old style, maybe. Dunno. (Better)

She's what Diana Vickers wishes she could be...

She's what Diana Vickers wishes she could be...

But...they don't sound alike, at all. There's vague similarities with certain tones, but that's it. Why, when someone new comes along, do people always feel an endless need to compare them to someone else/imply they can never be as good etc. Give people a chance. (Most of that statement was meant in general, not at you).

But...they don't sound alike, at all. There's vague similarities with certain tones, but that's it. Why, when someone new comes along, do people always feel an endless need to compare them to someone else/imply they can never be as good etc. Give people a chance. (Most of that statement was meant in general, not at you).

Because (in this case) Diana's voice had no form of comfort zone at all. Her tone puts in the same ship as both Cat Power and people like Duffy, but obviously she's not as "good" as Duffy, but her voice wasn't soft either. Dido is probably a better comparison than Cat Power, but same thing goes. There's no much middle ground between hauntingly soft or powerful with that type of "raspy" voice.

The no comfort zone is crap, I'm sorry. But "Smile", "Man in the Mirror", "White Flag" - all were made to sound rather the same. The kind of slow, with a build up, and a bit of a key change near the end. She sounded brilliant singing them, and they suited her voice pefectly (As did songs like Hallelujah, Nothing compares to you, with or without you etc) . Unlike the other singes, who have a "normal" voice, so can basically attempt anything and sound "ok" whatever it is, she just happens to not be able to, because of the general wierdness of her voice.

Do you think Cat Power would sound amazing singing "Girlfriend" or "Patience"? No, because they don't suit her voice, at all.

I'm probably making no sense at all, but fuck it.

Cat Power is famous for her covers, and has 2 covers albums that are well-regarded and accepted as a normal part of her/their discography (never sure if Cat Power refers to just Chan Marshall or the band as well).

I can imagine her doing patience very well actually. Better than Gary Barlow. Her doing Girlfriend would be a bit pointless, though, as she can't add anything to it.

But yeah, the thing is, I cannot think about what a Diana album would sound like. She hasn't got ambience in her voice, so she can't really carry off an album of similar sounding songs like Cat Power could.

I dunno. By the end, I only appreciated her for representing "alternative" music in X Factor for the first time. There's no need for her in the music world, but then, there's probably more need for her than Eoghan (NEVER), JLS (boring), or Alexandra (nothing distinguishing about her voice).

I actually think what I mentioned a second ago makes most sense summarising my feelings. She has no ambience in her voice. It sounds raw and obtuse, and more often that not, not in a pleasant way.

She should do electro music. Become Roisin Murphy-esque. That would be a better route for her than the typical bland x-factor debut album.

It's been bought to my attention that a cover of Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is, this year, to be the X-Factor number 1.

God, can you imagine that being the first version you hear with one of those vomit inducing photo montage videos? uuuaarrgh!

fuuuuuuuuck! Man it's got me so furious! is nothing sacred?

:(

Again, this is why Diana should not have gone. She is the only one that could even attempt to do that song any of the justice it deserves. The 30 seconds of her version she sung in the audition stages was actually fantastic. When they picked the song, they must have figured she was the winner...

I just think her voice fits the song perfectly, like they were made for each other. I cannot believe the public think anyone else in the competiton would even sound slightly good whilst singing said song. (Again, I am not saying she's better than whatever, before someone says so)

Calm down, it's not that good. Her voice is best suited to it, but she doesn't really make it her own, unless you count her voice being different.

I am calm! *breathes*..Oh. Still, my point stands. In my opinion it is that good. I just love how her voice sounds on the song. I can't help if my ears love it, can I? (And before something like "Well, you just love her so you're bound to say that" - No. I thought her Britney song was worse than my attempt at singing "Like a Virgin" on Karaoke when drunk.)

Still, I do wish she would release "Carry me Home". I need to hear the full version. I think she does make certain songs sound completely her own.

Anyway, I'm hijacking the thread. Apologies.

That Diana woman does sound like Cat Power, but yeah not as good.

And Haggis, people compare new artists to those that have come before becuse a lot of things have been done before, such as this particular type of voice. And it's been done better, and by women who don't look like satsumas.

Wow, I've suddenly found a lot club/dance music really irritating as so many beats used are taken from (or, at least, I first heard them in) Hot Chip songs.

I also suspect I'm the only person to like Infinity 2008 whilst sober.

Pretty likely that it's the other way round tbh.

It's been bought to my attention that a cover of Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is, this year, to be the X-Factor number 1.

God, can you imagine that being the first version you hear with one of those vomit inducing photo montage videos? uuuaarrgh!

fuuuuuuuuck! Man it's got me so furious! is nothing sacred?

:(

Well, it's a Leonard Cohen song, not Buckley, and it's just a song ... So, why care?

I just think her voice fits the song perfectly, like they were made for each other.

Well for starters I plain disagree with that, but that's not what's so bad about this news for me.

What they're doing is turning quite possibly the song which has had the greatest impact on my life and turning it in to a soul less, saccharine load of shit for a quick buck.

I grew up on Grace. It's the album that, above all others, means something to me. It made me love music. I listen to it when I'm down, I listen to it when I'm happy, when I think, when I've loved, when I've been broken hearted. I've owned a copy since I was 15 and never stopped listening to it. Every nuance, every note, every blissful vocal touch, every beautiful note is ingrained on my mind permanently and I know I'll never, ever get bored of it. This is one of the greatest albums ever made by an artist who's untimely death is, in my opinion, a greater loss to music than Jimi Hendrix; and here we are: Simon Cowell and his band of fuckwads are going to introduce thousands upon thousands of people to one of the best songs of all time with a half baked cover version thrown together to exploit public interest in his god awful shitfest of a show.

What a fucking insult.

Well for starters I plain disagree with that, but that's not what's so bad about this news for me.

What they're doing is turning quite possibly the song which has had the greatest impact on my life and turning it in to a soul less, saccharine load of shit for a quick buck.

I grew up on Grace. It's the album that, above all others, means something to me. It made me love music. I listen to it when I'm down, I listen to it when I'm happy, when I think, when I've loved, when I've been broken hearted. I've owned a copy since I was 15 and never stopped listening to it. Every nuance, every note, every blissful vocal touch, every beautiful note is ingrained on my mind permanently and I know I'll never, ever get bored of it. This is one of the greatest albums ever made by an artist who's untimely death is, in my opinion, a greater loss to music than Jimi Hendrix; and here we are: Simon Cowell and his band of fuckwads are going to introduce thousands upon thousands of people to one of the best songs of all time with a half baked cover version thrown together to exploit public interest in his god awful shitfest of a show.

What a fucking insult.

I normally would say "hey, lighten up, it's just a song", but Hallelujah isn't just a song. Both the Cohen and the Buckley versions are legendary, and the only way to stop this new version, which is good, but fails to do the song justice, is to stop it from being the Christmas number one. There is only one way to succeed - RickRoll the nation.

It's akin to when Muslims we're offended by pictures of Muhammed and the western world (maybe you were guilty of this Dan?) said and thought "Meh? Why care? It's just pictures." Things important to you can be trampled on by others and that's a part of a free society. Just suck it up.