N-Europe

Nothing wrong with a bit of Snow Patrol :heh:

On the contrary... they were pertty much great. Songs for Polarbears is a fantastic album, the same for When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up... my beef with them is precisely that... I used to like them quite a lot, and now they've gone and made a mockery of themselves with Final Straw and Eyes Open... I haven't even heard anything from the new one, but I can sense what's to come... :heh: Not that they're bad albums, it's just that they could've been so much better. :(

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

On the contrary... they were pertty much great. Songs for Polarbears is a fantastic album, the same for When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up... my beef with them is precisely that... I used to like them quite a lot, and now they've gone and made a mockery of themselves with Final Straw and Eyes Open... I haven't even heard anything from the new one, but I can sense what's to come... :heh: Not that they're bad albums, it's just that they could've been so much better. :(

Fair enough, I haven't listened to those two albums so maybe if I had I wouldn't like the other two as much, saying that I'm overly keen on Eyes Open, but Final Straw I do like (although haven't listened to it in about 2 years)!

Tangled up Grew on me as well! :yay: I love the 3 songs you have mentioned! :heart:

I'm glad I gave it a chance this summer. ^____^ It had some really good tracks on the album and now that I really like Girls Aloud I can't wait for Out of Control as I think The Promise is great and the other snippets of songs that I've heard I've liked the sound of also. :D From Tangled up I also really like Fling and Black Jacks. : peace:

These are the Snippets from the Songs from Girls Aloud new album:

I'm loving that! Sounds like another fantastic pop album. I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't release more singles from the album, there were so many good ones to choose from.

I cannot get The Promise out of my head (just the chorus). I woke up, and began singing it without even realising. I had no idea it was this catchy, until now.

I'm loving that! Sounds like another fantastic pop album. I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't release more singles from the album, there were so many good ones to choose from.

I cannot get The Promise out of my head (just the chorus). I woke up, and began singing it without even realising. I had no idea it was this catchy, until now.

Awesome. :awesome: You better not pass my plays on last.fm! :heh: I'm so close to 1000.

It's been stuck in my head for ages. I love their dresses in the video! It's actually one of my favourite songs from them so I have high hopes for the new album. :D

Yes that was a bit strange I didn't actually know Sexy no no no was from Tangled up until I got it. Perhaps people couldn't think of music videos for them. I love Girls Aloud music videos.

I've yet to get The Promise, I'm waiting until the Album is released to get all the songs. :)

I've listened too all of Keane's / Snow Patrol's albums properly and relistened to them recently, heres my opinion from the perspective of how they have changed...

Keane - first album was decent but overrated... yes they were something different at the time and that should be applauded but listening to the album now I only truly love a few of the tracks on that album, Bedshaped will always be awesome.

Under The Iron Sea - the follow-up album, better than the first in almost every respect, the new direction worked very well indeed and they crafted a very decent album with some brilliant tracks, more so than the first.

Perfect Symmetry - again a new direction, Spiralling (1st single) is a quality track but it's style is different from the first two and that may have turned some people off, basically it works but it's not the best track The Lovers are Losing (2nd single) sounds a lot better than Spiralling to me, it has a lot more to it and is a fine example of their latest work, Perfect Symmetry (most likely 3rd single) Exceptional, it's easilly the best track on the album, it has a nice vocal range, classic Keane Piano with new undertones, a sustained energy throughout the whole track and an awesome finish, overall the album is almost as good as the second but has a few songs that are some of their best.

When it's all over we still have to clear up - decent album from Snow Patrol as it has a lot of decent tracks but also a lot of experimental ones, not to say that experimental isn't good cos it is and it works but it just means that quite a few tracks on it aren't quite as memorable for me until I listen to them again... but it's a solid album.

Songs For Polar bears - again with the random but more memorable this time, I espcially like Star Fighter Pilot and Mahogany, those are easily the best tracks on their for me, more tracks on this album and some quirky names such as When you're right, You're right [Darth Vader Bringing in His Washing Mix] classic. :smile:

Final Straw - yes this is where they start to become more mainstream but it happens to all bands and at this point a lot of people love them for it and some choose to hate but I really do not know why :/ it has some of their best tracks such as How to be Dead, Spitting Games and Chocolate which I love. ^^

Eyes Open - Again even more mainstream but it really doesn't matter as by this point they have found their style, no longer do they release 14 - 22 track albums, it's down to just 11 but they are for the most part quality, You're all I have is an excellent opener, Chasing Cars is really good, Set the Fire to the Third bar is an excellent Duet with Martha Wainwright and is one of my favourite tracks from the album :) Headlights on Dark Roads is quality, there are more tracks on that album that I like but those are my favourites and it is a strong album.

One Hundred Million suns - only heard Take Back the City so far and it is a decent track, certainly not terrible as it has been said, yes I know it's just peoples opinions but still... I maintain that it is a decent track and theres quite a bit I like about it, not their best work but it's still very good, it won't be the best track on the album and I am confident that they can deliver again.

The main issue I see here is that when bands start to go mainstream, they end up losing some fans but gaining more, it's a fine balance thats required, personally I still adore Snow Patrol, both old and new, old for the quirkyness and new because they have found their style and more confidence comes across in their vocal style, some bands just get cocky but I don't think Snow Patrol are... yet anyway.

Needless to say I can't wait for their new album to arrive in a matter of days. :D

I've listened too all of Keane's / Snow Patrol's albums properly and relistened to them recently, heres my opinion from the perspective of how they have changed...

Keane - first album was decent but overrated... yes they were something different at the time and that should be applauded but listening to the album now I only truly love a few of the tracks on that album, Bedshaped will always be awesome.

Under The Iron Sea - the follow-up album, better than the first in almost every respect, the new direction worked very well indeed and they crafted a very decent album with some brilliant tracks, more so than the first.

Perfect Symmetry - again a new direction, Spiralling (1st single) is a quality track but it's style is different from the first two and that may have turned some people off, basically it works but it's not the best track The Lovers are Losing (2nd single) sounds a lot better than Spiralling to me, it has a lot more to it and is a fine example of their latest work, Perfect Symmetry (most likely 3rd single) Exceptional, it's easilly the best track on the album, it has a nice vocal range, classic Keane Piano with new undertones, a sustained energy throughout the whole track and an awesome finish, overall the album is almost as good as the second but has a few songs that are some of their best.

When it's all over we still have to clear up - decent album from Snow Patrol as it has a lot of decent tracks but also a lot of experimental ones, not to say that experimental isn't good cos it is and it works but it just means that quite a few tracks on it aren't quite as memorable for me until I listen to them again... but it's a solid album.

Songs For Polar bears - again with the random but more memorable this time, I espcially like Star Fighter Pilot and Mahogany, those are easily the best tracks on their for me, more tracks on this album and some quirky names such as When you're right, You're right [Darth Vader Bringing in His Washing Mix] classic. :smile:

Final Straw - yes this is where they start to become more mainstream but it happens to all bands and at this point a lot of people love them for it and some choose to hate but I really do not know why :/ it has some of their best tracks such as How to be Dead, Spitting Games and Chocolate which I love. ^^

Eyes Open - Again even more mainstream but it really doesn't matter as by this point they have found their style, no longer do they release 14 - 22 track albums, it's down to just 11 but they are for the most part quality, You're all I have is an excellent opener, Chasing Cars is really good, Set the Fire to the Third bar is an excellent Duet with Martha Wainwright and is one of my favourite tracks from the album :) Headlights on Dark Roads is quality, there are more tracks on that album that I like but those are my favourites and it is a strong album.

One Hundred Million suns - only heard Take Back the City so far and it is a decent track, certainly not terrible as it has been said, yes I know it's just peoples opinions but still... I maintain that it is a decent track and theres quite a bit I like about it, not their best work but it's still very good, it won't be the best track on the album and I am confident that they can deliver again.

The main issue I see here is that when bands start to go mainstream, they end up losing some fans but gaining more, it's a fine balance thats required, personally I still adore Snow Patrol, both old and new, old for the quirkyness and new because they have found their style and more confidence comes across in their vocal style, some bands just get cocky but I don't think Snow Patrol are... yet anyway.

Needless to say I can't wait for their new album to arrive in a matter of days. :D

The Keane part: like'em all you want, it's pretty much a fact that they're a bad band. Admitting it is no shame. I love many bad bands... but that's where I'm special, because I can actually diferentiate my opinion from the unbiased truth.

As for snow patrol, it's true, most people tend to avoid bands when they become famous. Some do it because when bands become famous, they're no longer the "hip" thing to like. I'm not one of those. What I hate is when a band overlooks it's own talent and chooses to go the easy way and subvert itself to a more mainstream approach on songwriting, not because they preffer it, but because they're greedy! Which is the case with Snow Patrol... as it is with Travis, Coldplay and so many more... these are all bands with considerable talent who chose to overlook their way of doing things because it's just easier to release more accessible songs and get rich fast! I'm not saying it's a bad thing, as they haven't become terrible bands... but they sure as hell became worse... and went from the guys who could've made the next OK Computer to the guys who made yet another record which will be washed away in time, as it stands for nothing more than pure forgetability and is pretty much an ode to all the sheep mentality that is witnessed in today's mainstream artistic community... be it in movies, books, cds or even painting.

Also, don't take me the wrong way, but you're not exactly musically mature, so it's pretty natural that you'de preffer Final Straw over the first two albums.

The Keane part: like'em all you want, it's pretty much a fact that they're a bad band. Admitting it is no shame.

What I hate is when a band overlooks it's own talent and chooses to go the easy way and subvert itself to a more mainstream approach on songwriting, not because they preffer it, but because they're greedy!

Also, don't take me the wrong way, but you're not exactly musically mature, so it's pretty natural that you'de preffer Final Straw over the first two albums.

Fair points... I still don't think Keane are bad though, however they aren't my first choice either but I do really like them, and yes I agree that a lot of recent albums from many bands could be better and that greed is involved but they are still good and definitely not unmemorable... just not as memorable as they could have been.

Snow Patrols earlier albums, some parts of them I prefer, because the songs are quirky and different... recent Snow Patrol yes they do sing about more familiar themes but they still do it well.

Musical maturity I think is something that admitedly I could work on but I'm certainly not completely immature :heh: I know what I like and in the case of many bands I still prefer their older work as it is better but I just think in some cases i'm more accepting of their change or maybe more forgiving even though I know I perhaps shouldn't be so in that respect maybe I am a tad immature. :D

I just feel though that on the subject of bands motives to go mainstream, people can complain or criticise bands for it but it doesn't change the fact that they are still gonna do it so... I just like to enjoy what I can from each album when it's released thats all. :)

Criticism and credit where it's due, it's just nice to have some sort of equilibrium where possible even if it is slightly bias. ^^

Before I got a good music taste I went to see Snow Patrol live. It was the most boring gig of my life. Luckily, Elbow were supporting so it wasn't a total waste of time.

That said, I do actually like quite alot of Snow Patrol tunes - Final Straw wasn't bad and as someone said, Set Fir to the Third Bar is a great song

Muse - Fury at Royal Albert Hall

and a video of the behind the scenes stuff (them pratting around, practising, etc...)

Muse ftw!! I hope they release an official DVD of the gig.

Fuck me...Fury is such an amazing song by Muse, They really do need to play it live more often, it's one of the few songs that still give me "that" spine shiver when I hear it. I often forget about it aswell - wasn't it a Japan only bonus track?

it's one of the few songs that still give me "that" spine shiver when I hear it. I often forget about it aswell - wasn't it a Japan only bonus track?

You too Dyson? I got those same shivers when listening to it earlier :) and yep it was a Japan only bonus track on Black Holes and Revelations, but damn... what a track! :D

You too Dyson? I got those same shivers when listening to it earlier :) and yep it was a Japan only bonus track on Black Holes and Revelations, but damn... what a track! :D

Yeah, it's a stunning track! Though it was on Absolution - not BHAR; but it's an easy mistake to make :P

Do we know anything about a new Muse album perhaps? I havn't read up on it much, aren't they still unsure of what format it'll take? Was wondering if there was anything more concrete yet or not.

I did read your earlier post but ran out of time to reply - had to go shopping. For other things I'm in to, check out my Last.FM - it has what I listen to, though also has what I listened to up to 3 years ago, when I went through a major Panic! At The Disco phase, so that's why they're still my top band. :heh:

PS. Love the location! : peace:

Yeah, it's a stunning track! Though it was on Absolution - not BHAR; but it's an easy mistake to make :P

Do we know anything about a new Muse album perhaps? I havn't read up on it much, aren't they still unsure of what format it'll take? Was wondering if there was anything more concrete yet or not.

I did read your earlier post but ran out of time to reply - had to go shopping. For other things I'm in to, check out my Last.FM - it has what I listen to, though also has what I listened to up to 3 years ago, when I went through a major Panic! At The Disco phase, so that's why they're still my top band. :heh:

PS. Love the location! : peace:

Ah yes thats right, I was thinking of Glorious... also a stunning track. :)

As for the new album... all thats known atm is that it's in production afaik, which is good enough for me. ^^

Panic at the Disco... interesting, heard of, heard they are good but never really properly listened to O.o may see what all the fuss is about. :heh:

I thought you might like the location lol it just seemed right somehow, so I changed it. :smile:

Haahaha, I've got this problem as well. I found myself listening to Pixies and Test Icicles just to knock Panic off the top spot recently <.<

And having looked at your lastfm, woop for Postal Service :yay: great band. Try Styrofoam; similar sorta thing if you're into that.

After Sunset