• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Hahahah ha. haha. Says the Alanis Morisette and Ting Tings fan. Honestly, every member of KsE has infinitely more talent in their little fingers than anyone in your entire last fm. Fact. But then, you're one of those popularist types who only listens to whatever track pops up first on youtube. The betting is that you've never actually heard anything off Alive or Just Breathing, but just listened to the ballady type songs on ADLD and EoHA. Therefore, I conclude that you do, infact, suck.

Hahahah ha. haha. Says the Alanis Morisette and Ting Tings fan. Honestly, every member of KsE has infinitely more talent in their little fingers than anyone in your entire last fm. Fact.

He's right, y'know. None of them could make a shredding guitar-riff, a drum solo, or a lyrical scream that could take your face off like KsE could. :wink:

Hahahah ha. haha. Says the Alanis Morisette and Ting Tings fan. Honestly, every member of KsE has infinitely more talent in their little fingers than anyone in your entire last fm. Fact.

It's actually maybeish true ;)

I haven't heard all thats on his thing but i agree KsE are immense, did you know the lead singer is uber christian? go figure

Three facts:

- Watershed is indeed fantastically good, but hey, it's Opeth we're talking about, so no surpises there. I don't know if I agree with the album of the year thing, though. :heh:

- KsE are produced one single fantastic album, the mentioned Alive or Just Breathing, and then gradually turned to ignorable mediocraty. I blame world hunger.

- Growls are indeed an acquired taste, and a most fruitfull one. The faux-dramatism Paj referred to is mostly shit, with the occasional good one.

In response to that, I would say that every album Opeth release is unconditionally my album of the year :heh:. I don't hear as many new albums as you every year though, so enlighten me, what gets your pick?

As for KsE, Alive or Just Breathing is easily in my top 10 albums of all time, because it is for all intents and purposes, perfect. Every song on that album is immaculately conceived. Every riff is it's own microcosm of brilliance.

End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies are two albums which when you first listen to them are like, "wow, this is good," but that wears down. I can't really listen to those albums anymore, and definately not without remembering that KsE are probably the most talented American metal band on the planet, and have (seemingly effortlessly) done so so much better in the past. Still, those albums weren't a huge misstep, they were both written and recorded within the space of two months, which just goes to show that if those guys actually tried to put out another defining album, they could probably release yet another paragon of modern metal. It's still great headbanging material, although I think the last two albums were sprung out of a lack of need to prove themselves.

And excuse my seemingly selfrighteous sense of indignation, but the majority of posters on this thread can suck my balls if they think anything they say can or will be taken seriously, considering they have absolutely no knowledge or appreciation of the subject at hand.

Also: Holy fucking shit, Coolness Bears and Cube both like Watershed? This makes me happy.

In response to that, I would say that every album Opeth release is unconditionally my album of the year :heh:. I don't hear as many new albums as you every year though, so enlighten me, what gets your pick?

As for KsE, Alive or Just Breathing is easily in my top 10 albums of all time, because it is for all intents and purposes, perfect. Every song on that album is immaculately conceived. Every riff is it's own microcosm of brilliance.

End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies are two albums which when you first listen to them are like, "wow, this is good," but that wears down. I can't really listen to those albums anymore, and definately not without remembering that KsE are probably the most talented American metal band on the planet, and have (seemingly effortlessly) done so so much better in the past. Still, those albums weren't a huge misstep, they were both written and recorded within the space of two months, which just goes to show that if those guys actually tried to put out another defining album, they could probably release yet another paragon of modern metal. It's still great headbanging material, although I think the last two albums were sprung out of a lack of need to prove themselves.

And excuse my seemingly selfrighteous sense of indignation, but the majority of posters on this thread can suck my balls if they think anything they say can or will be taken seriously, considering they have absolutely no knowledge or appreciation of the subject at hand.

Also: Holy fucking shit, Coolness Bears and Cube both like Watershed? This makes me happy.

Your posts are very persuasive! (sp?) :bowdown: and passionate! :heart:

I love to try out new music and I haven't explored the metal genre yet. :D So best thought I'd have a go today.

Can you recommend me more slices of genius to listen to please?

My list so far:

KsE Alive or Just Breathing.

Hahahah ha. haha. Says the Alanis Morisette and Ting Tings fan. Honestly, every member of KsE has infinitely more talent in their little fingers than anyone in your entire last fm. Fact. But then, you're one of those popularist types who only listens to whatever track pops up first on youtube. The betting is that you've never actually heard anything off Alive or Just Breathing, but just listened to the ballady type songs on ADLD and EoHA. Therefore, I conclude that you do, infact, suck.

Ok, sorry. :bowdown:

I'd prefer you didn't generalise me in one fell swoop...I've listened to Ting Tings new album, yes. Do I think it's anything notable or actually good? No. Some tracks are fun, but that's it. That's not really the point though.

I don't look for music on youtube, the radio, or TV.

I'm not a musician, so I don't think I really appreciate instrumentation as much I maybe should do, but in general I prefer electronic or atmospheric music and voices, or at least I do now.

I don't think one should compare one person's ability with an instrument to someone else's voice. (Thinking of like Bjork vs. KSE, or whatever) "MUSIC"S SUBJECTIVE!" - *shrugs*

You actually put me off ever trying to listen to more metal music.

(Response: "I don't care, you're too shit for metal anyway!" or something like it)

---------

Empty Shell - Cat Power

I've suddenly grown to love her, rather than just like, but The Greatest as an album is a bit blah.

Money Note - Camille

Very innovative...I love the experimentation and the fact the song is just so fucking funny.

I think that's my bad. Whenever anyone insinuates that KsE/ Opeth/ A whole load of other stuff is below par, I tend to take it...a little personally. But then, I think that everyone should view music as something deeply personal.

Oh, and Coolness, when you first listen to it, Alive or Just Breathing may not be for you. The first time I heard it I was like...13 and I just did not understand it one bit. There's so many tiny details, that the big picture becomes a little obscures, so it took me a while to take it all in piece by piece in my mind. Started reading the lyrics (which, unlike 90% of metal bands, are brilliant). Start off with the songs "My Last Serenade" (the chorus is what grabbed me the first time around, Jesse just has the most beautiful voice), and "The Element of One," and take it from there :). I think getting into good metal is a progressive thing (is there a pun in there?), you start off slow, but it grows into something close to an addiction. Just keep an open mind, and never think "ugh, I can't believe I'm listening to metal" because it doesn't perhaps agree with the way you see yourself as a person.

What I'm probably trying to say is that appreciating all sorts of metal isn't something that comes immediately to everyone. Okay, rant over. I'm off to listen to some Opeth :D.

I think that's my bad. Whenever anyone insinuates that KsE/ Opeth/ A whole load of other stuff is below par, I tend to take it...a little personally. But then, I think that everyone should view music as something deeply personal.

:smile:

I see the music I love as being very personal to me, but I can actually see what people wouldn't like about the people I love! :D Which is odd, as usually, like you say, people are usually just offended. I just think they're wrong. :p

Oh, and Coolness, when you first listen to it, Alive or Just Breathing may not be for you. The first time I heard it I was like...13 and I just did not understand it one bit. There's so many tiny details, that the big picture becomes a little obscures, so it took me a while to take it all in piece by piece in my mind. Started reading the lyrics (which, unlike 90% of metal bands, are brilliant). Start off with the songs "My Last Serenade" (the chorus is what grabbed me the first time around, Jesse just has the most beautiful voice), and "The Element of One," and take it from there :). I think getting into good metal is a progressive thing (is there a pun in there?), you start off slow, but it grows into something close to an addiction. Just keep an open mind, and never think "ugh, I can't believe I'm listening to metal" because it doesn't perhaps agree with the way you see yourself as a person.

What I'm probably trying to say is that appreciating all sorts of metal isn't something that comes immediately to everyone. Okay, rant over. I'm off to listen to some Opeth :D.

@ In bold: I think there is but I'm not clever enough to make it! :heh:

Ooh I like this. Personal to me that is what my music is lacking I don't really having anything that is personal to me yet. This is why i explore each different genre and such. :)

Thanks for the help Bard. I have yet to try KsE though I may have heard one song on Guitar Hero?

I'm not sure whether I'll like them or not but I'll definately keep an open mind while listening to them. I'm not going to not like them just because they disagree with me as a person.

For example a sterotypical view is that metal or whatever is for depressed people and because I'm mainly happy then I shouldn't listen to metal. I had this view when I was 13. :/

I listen to a lot of rubbish but I like it as it's fun or whatever and I suppose personally for me maybe I want fun out of my music. Though not all the time I want to try and understand the other stuff that have deeper meanings and lyrics beyond the usual stuff.

This year is the year i started to listen to more and more music and I'm gradually getting a greater understanding of it as a whole. I'm really treading unknown paths at the minute. Merely on the first step of the metal temple and I have a long way to climb. :)

@ Paj Cat Power is great. :D

I havent heard Killswitch Engage mentioned for years. I didnt even realise they have a different singer now. Well in truth I didnt realise they where still around, Alive or Just Breathing is an awesome album though.

Also Opeth are fucking awesome, I havent heard their newest album but I will check it out someday. :heart: Blackwater Park.

What music do you guys listen to when you're pissed off? What helps you get that feeling out and helps you feel relaxed(ish) again?

Not Ashlee Simpson. :shakehead

Probs Tori Amos, though I always listen to her. The album Boys For Pele (a masterpiece) is a mix of primal anger mixed with primal deep feeling.

However, it's not a good starting point for her music, it's a bit deep.

What music do you guys listen to when you're pissed off? What helps you get that feeling out and helps you feel relaxed(ish) again?

If I'm pissed off, I just smack on some hard music. Something like KoRn with an angry-sounding Jonathan Davis (which does basically mean KoRn in general), or metal like KsE or Lamb of God. Just something heavy like that.

I'm also stunned that Coolness like KsE. :o

My Last Serenade = Brilliant.

My Curse is good too, but the version on GH3 isn't the best version of the song.

Not Ashlee Simpson. :shakehead

Probs Tori Amos, though I always listen to her. The album Boys For Pele (a masterpiece) is a mix of primal anger mixed with primal deep feeling.

However, it's not a good starting point for her music, it's a bit deep.

Lol! That's why I asked, she's the best thing I could think of.

I just ended up shoving "Rock Monsters and "The Best Heavy Metal Album In The World...Ever" on, the former being the first CD I ever bought. Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath calmed me down after a couple of listens. I love "I Alone" by Live. I enjoy music you can just get into and feel all hyped up and energetic over.

--

"Love Song" by Sarah Bareilles is a great little pop tune, she has a great voice.

"Love Song" by Sarah Bareilles is a great little pop tune, she has a great voice.

Another case of haggis-is-behind-the-times syndrome...:indeed::heh:

Wasn't she all hyped up like a month ago, or something?

Honestly.

From the few times I've heard it, it's a Regina Spektor for the masses, only not even comparable in quality.

----

Bought Lykke Li's new album today. It's ok, quite good.

It might need to grow on me a bit though.

She sounds like the love child of Sia and Cat Power.

I havent heard Killswitch Engage mentioned for years. I didnt even realise they have a different singer now. Well in truth I didnt realise they where still around, Alive or Just Breathing is an awesome album though.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm completely the opposite, I've not listened to Alive or Just Breathing, and I didn't even know the current lead singer wasn't the original.

End of Heartache is pure quality though.