• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

What do people think of the new Greenday album ?

I don't mind it... Greenday are one of those bands, they don't really do much for me now but... what they do they actually do well but... they are majorly overrated and that I dislike about them, but... certainly the song you mentioned Gloria I rather like, that and Last of the American Girls plus Song of the Century but... after a few listens it's mostly forgettable and you'll find yourself coming back to only tracks from it every once in a while, in my experience of it anyway. :heh:

I am a fan of Madonna's, but really not a huge fan of her dancey stuff. Or rather, I like Like A Prayer (1989) all the way up to American Life (2003). Others are good in parts, but aren't as interesting. (all her albums have dancey stuff, but I know what I meant)

Her new single being pretty shit might have something to do with it being snubbed. There's a remix which makes it sound mildly good, but yeah. Shame.

---

Talking of the Black Eyed Peas, they've got less good over time. I hadn't Shut Up in honestly about...4 years, and when it came on in my friends car, I had a fit, and we ended up deciding not to go to something in town cause i had to listen to the whole song. Actually stunning in retrospect.

Edited by Paj!

Just let myself listen to 15 seconds of each new Muse track to get a feel for the album. I'm now very excited about the second half of the album and curious as to whether the first half will work. I want to listen to MK Ultra and Exogenesis right now, though.

I must admit, some of it is still pretty damn nice to listen to but equally a lot of it can grate if you've heard the song on the radio 'xxxxx' amount of times...

But stuff like the Beatles I think can be easily appreciated.

I've been listening to Bobby Darin (I love), The Mamas and Papas, Otis Redding, Ben E King and The Platters and stuff like that. (I'm sure some of those aren't 60s but whatever :heh: ) Also Elvis.

I haven't listened to the radio for at least half a decade, most likely more. :D

You ever listened to Black Eyed Peas stuff before Fergie joined? That's good as well. :) Also on Spotify if you want a listen.

Though I like the new B.E.P. album. It's just a bit O' fun.

Also I never listen to the radio. I do look at the music channels I have on freeview though.

___

Anywho I was just listening to The Fratelli's Chelsa Dagger and thought it reminded me of something and found out that was Rock and Roll Part 2 by Gary Glitter....

BUT on closer inspection they don't really sound like each other but it was bugging me what it vaguely sounded like. I didn't realise this song was by him until today...

Also Muse's song Uprising start was plaguing me what it sounded like and too me the beginning sounds a bit like a tarted up version of Battles Atlas

Muse - Uprising

Battles - Atlas

Battles song is vastly superior. :D

What I've been listening to this week thus far is:

Oh No Ono - Eggs

This album is definately one of my favourites of 2009 so far. It's simply brilliant from start to finish. :grin:

Doda - Diamond Bitch

Not bad, A bit of Pop to listen to when I'm surfing the net!

Beyonce - I am... Sasha Fierce

I really enjoy this album. My favourite beyonce album by far!!!

Also I saw the Sweet Dreams the other day. I can't stop watching it:

Paramore - Riot

I know most of the words to this album, forgot I liked them, Also manages to spice up a game of 6 player Tetris. :yay:

Natasha Bedding Field - Unwritten I got slightly addicted to the song this week.

So I finished listening to Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos earlier and...

"Insert speech here"

... that's all I had to say, literally speechless, it's so good that I'm almost afraid to listen to it through headphones :D seriously though, I loved.

I saw the number one of '100 Greatest Love Songs' was Leona Lewis - Run. I cringed. Cringed deeply.

Dear fucking god... I used to like that song, before she bastadised it :/ seriously I don't care what anyone says, it's a terrible cover in my eyes and does nothing for the original song, anyway apart from that... number 1 in the top 100 love songs? ever? give me a break... :indeed:

I think I'll join you in your deep cringing Ashley, because it's definitely warranted. :heh:

*shudders*

Paj, what have you done with the real SCG?

It's still me honestly, just that my tastes in music has broadened... drastically :heh: but lol I still like the bands that I've always liked... Muse, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, MGMT, NIN, Elbow etc to name but a few but I can't ignore the quality of stuff that I've heard recently from P.J Harvey, Bjork and Tori Amos.

Really... I'm still me underneath, *peels back skin* see? this is no mask, I bleed dammit! oh shi... *runs off to get a plaster*

So I finished listening to Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos earlier and...

"Insert speech here"

... that's all I had to say, literally speechless, it's so good that I'm almost afraid to listen to it through headphones :D seriously though, I loved.

My fave Tori song.

I'm going through Madonna's back catalogue as I realised I've never truly given any of her stuff a proper go, other than the singles I've heard in the past. "Ray Of Light" came on, and it was the first time I've heard it in years. Fucking love it.

Listen to the full album and understand why it's the best thing she's ever attempted to do.

---

And in case anyone is wondering about S.C.G being taken my wing...

Maybe..

Just maybe...

I've been recommending good music the whole time?

Just a thought. ;)

Only Skin by Joanna Newsom is the best song I've ever heard. Just the fact that it provokes extreme sadness within me, unlike any other song I've ever heard. I genuinely started crying listening to it. Her voice is so mournful.

"And the shallow waters stretches as far as I can see.

Knee deep, trudging along; The seagull weeps, sooo long. Humming a threshing song, until the night is over.

Hold on.

Hold on."

It's just... awesome. In the actual meaning of the word. Provokes awe.

And then the final lyric - SO POIGNANT!

"And if the love of a woman, or two, my dear, could move you to such heights, then all I can do is do, my darling, right by you."

I love how she sings it as though that she's accepted the fact her husband has a mistress, and however much it pains her, she just has to stand by and watch, because ultimately she wants her husband to be happy.

And the fact it ends exactly on the word "you"! So poignant! And then there's 17 seconds of silence, so you can reflect on what you've just listened to.

Only Skin is a masterpiece.

Just a thought. ;)

Hold that thought Paj because it's a good one :) I seriously do really love what I've been hearing recently though, it's not just me saying that I do for the hell of it; I'm discovering albums that are new to me and just really enjoying them, it's not as if I've stopped listening to stuff that I've always liked as listed before just that atm I'm investing more time in artists that I've been less than familiar with up until recently but am now glad that I gave a proper chance. :D

Hold that thought Paj because it's a good one :) I seriously do really love what I've been hearing recently though, it's not just me saying that I do for the hell of it; I'm discovering albums that are new to me and just really enjoying them, it's not as if I've stopped listening to stuff that I've always liked as listed before just that atm I'm investing more time in artists that I've been less than familiar with up until recently but am now glad that I gave a proper chance. :D

Quickly get Ys by Joanna Newsom.

Listen to the full album and understand why it's the best thing she's ever attempted to do.

I adore Frozen as well, so it was the first album I chose to listen to fully first anyway. Then I'm going to try Bedtime Stories and Like A Prayer before going onto others. Already know and love American Life and Confessions on the Dancefloor. I'll choose to ignore the blip that was Hard Candy.

Plus, I love love love Vogue. Never actually heard it fully until a few days ago.