NEurope

Of course I haven't listened to it, I've only just heard that it exists!

I can't listen to it now, anyway, I'm shaking from rage...

She's a fucking Londoner! ELO are from Brum! How dare she! :nono:

megaeyerollvg5.gif

Judging from the fact that it's by Lily Allen, there's a great chance it will suck ass. I'm sure some people like her, but she really doesn't posses the talents to back up her extremely large mouth and all shit she normally comes away with.

The fuck, Paj with that gif. I've got a point. I've only just heard the fucking thing exists and I'm too busy listening to music to track it on YouTube.

You know what, fine. I'll fucking go and look for the cunting bastard track. I just know it's gonna be shit...

OH, I FUCKING KNEW IT! IT IS FUCKING AWFUL! AND I'VE ONLY HEARD ONE CUNTING MINUTE OF IT! OH MY FUCKING LIFE!

Edited by Roostophe

That's fine. I've never heard it either, nor am I a huge Lily Allen fan. I like her sometimes, but it's not like hearing that The Jonas Brothers covered it. In that case, I could forgive anyone for shaking and crying.

Okay I didn't know! (just checked)

But sorry to tell you yes it is! :p

*cue raging*

(Thanks for the summer songs btw :))

I just heard it, and love it. Cannot wait to see her in November in Sheffield, love some of her stuff. Even if I hated her, I would always have a soft spot for her for the amazingness that is "Fuck You".

Having not heard either version of the song before, and having just listened to the Lily Allen version, it sounds like a Lily Allen song - as though she wrote it herself.

I'm going to listen to the ELO version now.

Thoughts:

The ELO version is obviously better, but I think Lily Allen's is a fair effort. She's made the song sound very different, which is what you want from a cover.

Edited by chairdriver
Automerged Doublepost

Went to see New Found Glory again last night, as expected they didn't disappoint.

I think we all love it when you can go see some band as many times as you like and the quality is always what you expect it to be, I like that kind of dependability. Like, New Found Glory, for example, I know I can go see them live 1 time or 500 times, I'm always gonna get the same generic bullshit over and over and over again. It's like... I can say they're always there for me, because I know they'll never disappoint me and become good all of a sudden. Monotony is so awesome. :blank:

I think we all love it when you can go see some band as many times as you like and the quality is always what you expect it to be, I like that kind of dependability. Like, New Found Glory, for example, I know I can go see them live 1 time or 500 times, I'm always gonna get the same generic bullshit over and over and over again. It's like... I can say they're always there for me, because I know they'll never disappoint me and become good all of a sudden. Monotony is so awesome. :blank:

Oh, the irony. They're probably about as predictable as your inevitable moaning reply was.

Oh, the irony. They're probably about as predictable as your inevitable moaning reply was.

And your Lady Gaga video posts aren't predictable?

:p

Haggis not that you'll probably like them but the Dexter soundtrack is summery. Well, its a mix of Spanish music and I find that summer...that and Sebastien Tellier which I find quite summery personally.

The dexter soundtrack is fantastic. I prefer the music written for the show to the other songs used within it. I listen to it whilst walking, it's amazing.

EDIT: With all this talk of Lily Allen and summery sounds, I reccommend Nan You're A Window Shopper. A nice take on a god-awful 50cent song, and funny to boot. Sounds great too.

Edited by Razz

From Placebo's new album, (also quite summery)

Bright Lights

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Never-Ending Why

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Ashtray Heart

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

US Top 20 Album Sellers Of The 2000s

1. Eminem, 31,127,000. First charted: 1999. Eminem, 36, is the top male artist and the top rap artist so far in this decade. His 2000 album The Marshall Mathers LP is his best-seller. It has sold 10,178,000 copies.

2. The Beatles, 27,591,000. First charted: 1964. The Beatles have sold more albums in the 2000s than any other group, rock act or foreign act. Their 2000 compilation 1 is their best-seller. It has sold 11,402,000 copies. The Beatles were the #5 album-selling act of the 1990s.

3. Tim McGraw, 24,295,000. First charted: 1994. McGraw, 42, is the #1 country artist so far in the 2000s, nosing out Toby Keith. McGraw was the #38 album-selling act of the ‘90s. His 2000 compilation Greatest Hits is his best-selling album of the decade. It has sold 5,995,000 copies.

4. Toby Keith, 24,189,000. First charted: 1993. Keith, 47, is the #2 country artist of this decade. His 2003 album Shock'n Y'All is his best-seller. It has sold 4,420,000 copies.

5. Britney Spears, 22,937,000. First charted: 1999. Spears, 27, is the youngest artist on this list, edging out Josh Groban by one year. She is also #1 female artist in this decade. Her 2000 album, Oops!...I Did It Again, is her best-seller of the decade. It has sold 9,183,000 copies. Spears was the #108 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

6. Kenny Chesney, 21,396,000. First charted: 1996. Chesney, 41, is the #3 country artist of this decade. His best-selling album is 2004's When The Sun Goes Down, which has sold 4,111,000 copies.

7. Nelly, 21,206,000. First charted: 2000. Nelly, 34, is the #1 new artist to emerge in this decade, edging out Linkin Park. He's also the #1 African American artist, edging out Jay-Z, and the #2 rap artist. Nelly's 2000 debut, Country Grammar, is his best-selling album. It has sold 8,454,000 copies.

8. Linkin Park, 21,125,000. First charted: 2000. Linkin Park is the #2 rock group of the decade, behind the Beatles. It's also the #2 new artist. The band's 2000 debut album, Hybrid Theory, is its best-seller. It has sold 9,600,000 copies.

9. Creed, 20,398,000. First charted: 1997. Creed is the #3 rock group of the decade. 1999's Human Clay is the band's best-selling album. It has sold 9,480,000 copies since January 2000. Creed was the #167 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

10. Jay-Z, 19,379,000. First charted: 1996. Jay-Z, 39, is the #3 rap artist of the decade. 2003's The Black Album is his best-selling album of this decade. It has sold 3,338,000 copies. Jay-Z was the #152 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

11. Nickelback, 19,158,000. First charted: 2000. The Canadian group is the #2 foreign act of this decade (after the Beatles). Nickelback is also the #3 new artist and the #4 rock group. 2005's All The Right Reasons is its best-seller, with sales of 7,159,000 copies.

12. Josh Groban, 19,115,000. First charted: 2001. Groban, 28, is the #1 pop male artist of this decade. He's the #4 new artist. The pop/classical star's 2003 album Closer is his best-seller, with sales of 5,746,000 copies.

13. Rascal Flatts, 18,831,000. First charted: 2000. The trio is the #1 country group of this decade, nosing out Dixie Chicks. It's also the #5 new act. 2004's Feels Like Today is the act's best-selling album. It has sold 5,134,000 copies.

14. Metallica, 18,490,000. First charted: 1984. Metallica is the #1 hard rock act of the decade (unless you count the genre-bending Linkin Park). The band's 1991 blockbuster Metallica is the band's best-selling album of this decade. It has sold 3,691,000 copies since January 2000. Metallica was the #3 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

15. Alan Jackson, 18,479,000. First charted: 1990. Jackson, 50, is the oldest solo artist on this list, edging out Toby Keith. 2002's Drive is his best-selling album of this decade. It has sold 3,508,000 copies. Jackson was the #17 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

16. *NSYNC, 18,402,000. First charted: 1998. The boy band is the #1 pop group of this decade (assuming you classify the Beatles as rock). *NSYNC's 2000 album No Strings Attached is its best-seller, with sales of 11,111,000 copies. The quintet was the #80 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

17. Dixie Chicks, 18,293,000. First charted: 1998. The female trio is the #2 country group so far in this decade. 2002's Home is the act's best-selling album of this decade. It has sold 5,997,000 copies. Dixie Chicks was the #105 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

18. Johnny Cash, 17,860,000. First charted: 1958. The country legend, who died in 2003 at age 71, is the most surprising name on the list. He made it on the strength of an enormous catalog and a renewed focus on him after his death. His 1999 compliation 16 Greatest Hits is his best-seller of the decade. It has sold 2,846,000 copies since January 2000.

19. Kid Rock, 17,606,000. First charted: 1999. Kid Rock, 38, is the #1 male rock artist of this decade. Kid's 2001 album Cocky is his best-seller of the decade. It has sold 5,045,000 copies.

20. Celine Dion, 17,579,000. First charted: 1991. The Canadian diva, 41, is the #2 pop female artist of this decade, behind Britney Spears. Dion's 1999 greatest hits album, All The Way...A Decade Of Song, is her best-seller in the decade. It has sold 4,971,000 copies since January 2000. Dion was the #4 album-selling act of the ‘90s.

The Fine Print: Artists who emerged very early in the decade stood a much better chance of making this list than artists who emerged later on. Sales peaked around 2000, and have been dropping since about 2004. So it's hard for even the hottest acts of recent years to compete with the stunning sales totals from the turn of the last decade.

Also, when I refer to the best-selling artists of the ‘90s, I'm referring to the period from May 25, 1991, when Nielsen/SoundScan began tracking sales for Billboard, through the last week of 1999.

I hate them all.

I though you were The Dixie Chicks largest fan?

---

Oxigen has a point, despite it being a bit moany and latching onto something not actually said/a commonly used phrase.

I love it when I know artists/bands change up setlists (Tori Amos never plays the same thing, with a 200+ catalogue of songs, so it's a surprise to find out what the night will bring etc), as it seems far more..natural. Also people who seem to really enjoy performing. Patrick Wolf was brilliant on Friday, brilliantly intimate venue, he was scaling the walls of the place, running through the crowd and so on. When you get that and then go to a "normal" gig next, it seems lacking in comparison. I remember my first proper gig since being a big music lover was My Chemical Romance and I remember really enjoying it, but hating that they played the entire new album in order, then a small smattering of old songs (as an extended encore), then buggered off. Very robotic and just...boring.

This is in no way to do with what was said about New Found Glory, just elaborating on what Oxigen said. I've never heard a note from NFG.

Why the hell has America been buying Celine Dion records? Don't they know that's a sin against humanity and is deemed torture to anyone who listens to it? :shakehead I'm physically disgusted.

And, yeh Chair you don't like Johnny Cash? :nono:

From Placebo's new album, (also quite summery)

Bright Lights

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Never-Ending Why

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Ashtray Heart

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I've found what I've heard thus far dissapointing. Just a bit...boring? Shame. I'll acquire the album at some point and give it a fair chance though. But then I got a bit sick of Meds quickly too.

And your Lady Gaga video posts aren't predictable?

:p

Aha! Thing is, I never said they weren't. It would be as ironic, had I moaned at Ramar myself. :)

Why the hell has America been buying Celine Dion records? Don't they know that's a sin against humanity and is deemed torture to anyone who listens to it? :shakehead I'm physically disgusted.

Haha, so damn true. God, I remember when I liked "My Heart Will Go On". Ew.

Or Metallica or The Beatles.

For f...:mad:

I don't literally hate them all - I read the first few and that's the thought that came through my mind.

They're all so shit considering they are the best-selling artists.

I mean, they aren't shit - but they are in this context.

Out of that list, there are about four artists that I know I like...

The Beatles

Linkin Park

Metallica

Johnny Cash

Nickleback's inclusion in the list is proof that the general public have no taste and should be ignored if at all possible.

in other news: received a snooty look of distaste from a metalhead when I was discussing some music in the park today. Annoys the fuck out of me when people pigeonhole their interests with such intent and then act superior about it when other people actually have some variety in their collection.

LOOK AT THE LIGHT! AND ALL THE TIME IT'S A-CHANGING!

LOOK AT THE LIGHTS, CLIMBING UP THE AERIAL!

Sorry, hearing Nocturn by Kate Bush makes me do that.

Anyone like Attack! Attack!? They were a support band last night, my brother picked up their album because it was only £3, sounds a lot better than they did live.

Annoys the fuck out of me when people pigeonhole their interests with such intent and then act superior about it when other people actually have some variety in their collection.

Yeah I hate that too, personally I like to have a decent amount of variety in my music collection, I know what I like but I don't think of myself as lesser / greater than anyone else for it, that's just needless.

Speaking of diversifying... I heard Spoonman by Soundgarden earlier and I liked it a lot :) I've been thinking of getting into them, do you have any recommendations on where is a good place to start with them Dan?