N-Europe

NME Awards

Platty

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard there are quite a few good bands playing the awards tonight.

Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, Killers, The View, Primal Scream and some suprises. I reckon Noel Gallagher may whack out some tunes.

I have also just heard that Jarvis and Beth from the gossip are gonna team up and do something!!

I'm confused, pretty much all the same bands are up for all the awards. Where are bands like Keane, Bloc Party, Incubus? They've all got new albums out that should qualify for something.

Keane and Incubus aren't as good as most of the bands there in my opinion and Bloc party's album has only just come out and they didn't do much last year so they'll be in next years awards no doubt.

Well first of all I believe there is a form you fill in for each category... then they compile the most voted for and make a shortlist. Then from that shortlist they take the 5 most popular for each category and there are your nominations.

The nominations are then supported by different companies... ie best solo artist is voted for by viewers of E4 and Best Dressed is voted for by Topman Shoppers. etc

in other news the awards have started and Jamie T has just won best solo artist.

Well first of all I believe there is a form you fill in for each category... then they compile the most voted for and make a shortlist. Then from that shortlist they take the 5 most popular for each category and there are your nominations.

The nominations are then supported by different companies... ie best solo artist is voted for by viewers of E4 and Best Dressed is voted for by Topman Shoppers. etc

in other news the awards have started and Jamie T has just won best solo artist.

Boo Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly should have won that.

I'm confused, pretty much all the same bands are up for all the awards. Where are bands like Keane, Bloc Party, Incubus? They've all got new albums out that should qualify for something.

Yes; you're forgetting that these are awards; meaning they're unfairly based on hype, fame, brown nosing and the like.

Best Venue:

Brixton Academy

Glasgow Barrowlands

London Astoria

London KOKO

Manchester Apollo<----- LOL DIS 1

That aint even the best in Manchester. In fact, its terrible. And that's one thing I'm sure the Bard would agree on! :heh:

I can't stand NME if I'm honest.

I love kasabian :)

Yep, me too. Great band...but no match for Muse's live act.

Anyway, these awards are apparently decided by the fans, so no doubt whichever band has the biggest myspace friends list will win the awards..

What happened to the Best UK band award?

That aint even the best in Manchester. In fact, its terrible. And that's one thing I'm sure the Bard would agree on! :heh:

Well the London Astoria should win that anyway :)

What happened to the Best UK band award?

Not been given out yet.

Best Int. band is My Chemical Romance :/ and best new band is the Klaxons.

I'd have to agree. (backs down in shame :heh:) Yeah, it's pretty bad, the acoustics are awful, you can't hear anything properly unless you're right at the back.

I'm just wondering, what do bands have to be for these awards? Owned by certain people? Be a particular genre?

I already stated what I think the process is.

All the awards refer to 2006 and first of all I believe there is a form you fill in for each category (in the mag and online throughout the year)... then they compile the most voted for and make a shortlist. Then from that shortlist they take the 5 most popular for each category and there are your nominations.

The nominations are then supported by different companies... ie best solo artist is voted for by viewers of E4 and Best Dressed is voted for by Topman Shoppers, Best new band voted for by Radio one listeners etc