NEurope
zpmodel

Nintendo is full of lies.

Nintendo is full of lies, or at least some of their game-journalists are. I remmeber before the launch of the Wii that there was an article here at n-europe claiming that the Wii's hardware would be like a "souped up Xbox".

Riiiiiight....you could have fouled me, in which they did.

I also remember another article here claiming that Metroid Prime 3 will have "the best graphics". I've seen footage of the game, and as good as it looks, calling it "the best graphics" is another flat out lie.

I'm not some Xbox360/PS3 fanboy coming here to flame; in fact I own only a Wii. But im just curious, does anyone else feel decieved?

By Nintendo? All the time. People complain about Sony lying, but Nintendo do it all the time aswell. They're just better at covering it. Normally with more lies and hyperbole.

They've managed to create a zombie nation of people who do nothing but regurgitate Nintendo PR and talk about "ease of development" and "innovation". Yeah right. Come back and talk to me when you learn to think for yourself.

Yes I feel utterly outraged and disgusted at those money making corprate bastards. They're a business and their sole purpose ios making money. You expect them from time to time to exaggerate the quality of their products. I wouldn't say they've told any outright lies yet.

Nintendo is full of lies, or at least some of their game-journalists are. I remmeber before the launch of the Wii that there was an article here at n-europe claiming that the Wii's hardware would be like a "souped up Xbox".

I also remember another article here claiming that Metroid Prime 3 will have "the best graphics". I've seen footage of the game, and as good as it looks, calling it "the best graphics" is another flat out lie.

I'm not some Xbox360/PS3 fanboy coming here to flame; in fact I own only a Wii. But im just curious, does anyone else feel decieved?

You're seeing things, dude. The Wii is capable of better graphics than an Xbox, for sure. It is a souped up Xbox. And Metroid Prime games have always looked great. There is just no real footage except filmed on avaible. Both are very true facts up untill now. Just please remember that the last time Nintendo showed the game they didn't allow anyone to take captures of it - so all screenshots are films of playing the game, not movie captures.

And it's called advertising. If you should blame someone for lying, it's sony. 4D? Doesn't exist, Sony. Except if the PS3 can travel through time.

Tomorrow there will be rain rain and more rain. With perhaps a slight chance of sun.

It could also be that some people hype things out of proportion, and in a way lies to themselves. Huh, talk about sillyheads.

I'm still bitter about the fact that Iwata said it would look nearly as good in standard definition compared to how good the PS3 and 360 look in HD.

I'm still bitter about the fact that Iwata said it would look nearly as good in standard definition compared to how good the PS3 and 360 look in HD.

I don't think he ever said that...

E3 2005, he said that, a lot of people have also quoted that in the past.

Hard to believe now though, I mean the Wii's not even close.

Surely that's down to what games you compare, anyway.

In no way do these first wave of games represent the power that the Wii can potentially produce. Lazy developing is the problem.

So, because of two completely unofficial statements, Nintendo is full of lies?

Flinky lock this and get it over with.

I won't lock it right now. There's potential here for good discussion, like McMad is trying to get into.

In no way do these first wave of games represent the power that the Wii can potentially produce. Lazy developing is the problem.

But we've yet to see any games that look to actaully be a step up from last gen bar Galaxy.

In E3 2005, 6 months before the console was released and a year and a half before the game was released, Gears of War was showcased for the 360 and when it was released it still had those same breathtaking graphics.

So what developers can make a great effort with new technology but not with technology they already know?

I really do think the Wii is quite under powered and that developers are struggling to make much an improvement from the Gamecube.

But we've yet to see any games that look to actaully be a step up from last gen bar Galaxy.

...which was pretty much running on GameCube hardware...

Nintendo do talk very optimistically, putting the image that there is already a great gaming system for hardcore and casual gamers and that the graphics are amazing.

Truthfully the first wave of games are subpar, its about developers rushing to try and make money, the standards are low. Graphically the best looking game on wii is zelda and thats basically a gamecube game. I feel pretty sure that the wii will have more power than an original xbox (how old is that technology now?). Early adopters always pay the price. In a year or so we'll have some amazing games, anyone who's patient enough to wait gets the console cheaper and a much better selection of games.

In E3 2005, 6 months before the console was released and a year and a half before the game was released, Gears of War was showcased for the 360 and when it was released it still had those same breathtaking graphics.

So what developers can make a great effort with new technology but not with technology they already know?

I really do think the Wii is quite under powered and that developers are struggling to make much an improvement from the Gamecube.

You have a short memory, I can remmeber exactly what people thought of 360's first games. And 6 months before the Wii was released and probably a year and a half before it will be released, Mario Galaxy had breathtaking graphics.

You can't have seen metroid prime 3 (unless you're referring to the really old videos which were basically running on Gamecubes...)

You have a short memory, I can remmeber exactly what people thought of 360's first games.

Souped up Xbox, that was what most were thinking.

Are you shure that he did not say that the Wii will nearly look as good as the 360 and PS3 if they all use an SD tv . Cause there is no way a SD quality can compeet with HD.

Nice one link for not closing the thread. :)

Iwata said the graphics would make you say 'wow'

all i say at the moment is 'meh'

i actually think metroid looks lush though.

hopefully this wont just be an exception in the future, cause we're hardly far into its life and developers are just cashing in on the new consumer market, but hopefully this time next year some cool titles will pop up.

If Nintendo is full of lies, then what should we call Sony? I'm not saying Nintendo hasn't done their fair share of broken promises (DVD-enabled Wii at launch comes to mind), but nowadays, they're a much better, public-minded company. Full of lies? No, definitely not. Not as good as we expected? Perhaps.

Part of your disappointment comes from the hype machine called internet. How many 'insiders' reports have we seen of that the Wii would get dual core processors, had some secrets up it sleeve that would allow super powerful chips in such a tiny case. All wishful thinking.

The other part comes from the secrecy and vagueness of Nintendo executives. Like, Iwata stated at E306 (or was it 05?) that "you will say 'WOW!' when you see the graphics". Um, no we didn't. The first in-game trailers were kinda underwhelming TBH. I did say WOW when I first experienced Wii Sports, but definitely not the graphics.

So all said and done, I think what we've seen so far, there is still no one game that represents true potential of the Wii. Come Metroid Prime 3, then we'll see what developers can churn out if they take some time.