NEurope
Rummy

Aliens

I find the universe so interesting and I think there's no doubt about whether 'aliens' exist. I'm not saying they've ever visited earth but there must be some other form of life in the universe, somewhere, it's just so huge that for us to be the only ones is insane! I do always wonder if we'll ever find out about/see alien life forms in my life time though, I kind of hope we do because it's so fascinating but at the same time, I know i'd be scared shitless xD

And when I read the first post I was thinking "Everybody Votes Channel?! I had no idea so many people still used it!" then realised how old the post was :P That Channel does make me laugh, I remember I stopped using it early last year when it asked "Do you like Orange Juice?"

Well....it's completely possible that something you've seen will still be around in a million years. You know, a little rock known as Earth even.

I meant as in the way they are.

EDIT: I mean the way they will be. In the future.

I WANT TO SEE INTO THE FUTURE OK?!?!?!?

Edited by MoogleViper

Its interesting, but its not all that surprising when you consider how similar arsenic is to phosphorus chemically.

I believe in aliens, just like I believe in ghosts, or paranormal activity anyway.

The universe is infinite, it must be, and if not then there must be something beyond it.

Theoretically anything is possible, and to believe otherwise is just short sighted. The problem is science cannot prove it yet, and the majority refuse to believe in what is unproven. But science has limits, and always will have, what is provable today is a lot different from what was provable 100 years ago. Imagine what they'll be able to prove in 1000 years, it's just a matter of time. i do actually believe that aliens are amongst us, or at least have visited, there's enough lack of proof to make it viable, but if they haven't come yet, then they definitely will do.

I believe that the universe is finite and beyond it is just emptiness.

And for aliens to be able to visit us, then what we know about physics would have to be completely and utterly wrong.

I believe that the universe is finite and beyond it is just emptiness.

And for aliens to be able to visit us, then what we know about physics would have to be completely and utterly wrong.

And what do we know about physics?

Not a lot I'm betting.

It's not what is possible really, but about what is imaginable.

There is so much that we don't know, and may never do, you've got to think outside the box.

And what do we know about physics?

Not a lot I'm betting.

Quite. It's possible that a being with greater brain capacity than us could solve problems that we couldn't even imagine in the first place.

Quite. It's possible that a being with greater brain capacity than us could solve problems that we couldn't even imagine in the first place.

I don't think it's so much about capacity as it is capability.

We apparently only use only 10% of our brains, the capacity is much more, it's just about learning to use it. That will come with evolution, somewhere other species on other planets will undoubtedly have been there and done that a long time ago.

Evolution is such a slow process though, but it cane be accelerated, all it takes is for people to push themselves. There are no more incentives for evolution though any more, humanity is quite happy as it is, no real predators, and no real incentive to better ourselves. We need to get beyond that.

Isnt the "we only use 10% of our brains" just a misunderstood myth?

From what I remember we use 10% when not really doing anything but when we are working or trying to figure something out it does go up to around 30%, maybe a bit more.

For real, they did it on Mythbusters a few weeks ago.

Ah yeah, thats where I remembered it from.

Isnt the "we only use 10% of our brains" just a misunderstood myth?

From what I remember we use 10% when not really doing anything but when we are working or trying to figure something out it does go up to around 30%, maybe a bit more.

So, still only a fraction of our potential, and that potential will never be reached by sitting around watching telly and surfing the internet, which is about as far as man goes these days.

So, still only a fraction of our potential, and that potential will never be reached by sitting around watching telly and surfing the internet, which is about as far as man goes these days.

I wasnt arguing against you, just picking up on the point.

I wasnt arguing against you, just picking up on the point.

No worries, but it's more of a detail than a point.

Tell that to the team that found out about this incredible organism, which might change Biology in its entirety.

Yes, 99% of the people aren't able to find/figure out stuff that will have an impact on science or on humanity. But I think that many of them MIGHT have the intelligence to do so, they simply don't have the means (money, time, etc.).

Oh, and you said that evolution can be accelerated? I don't think it's possible. Evolution, rather the events that lead to evolution (DNA-mutations, selection...) are random. If at any point in the future a great mind is born (I believe that 'fate' is another word for DNA-mutations, but that's a different story), he or she will find out something essential. The wisdom will be passed on. His/her genes might not.

We are able to induce mutations into organisms (partly accelerating evolution), but we don't let them evolve as they might do in nature.

Edited by drahkon

Every few hundred millenia, evolution leaps foward.

Du-du-du-DU

Tell that to the team that found out about this incredible organism, which might change Biology in its entirety.

Yes, 99% of the people aren't able to find/figure out stuff that will have an impact on science or on humanity. But I think that many of them MIGHT have the intelligence to do so, they simply don't have the means (money, time, etc.).

Oh, and you said that evolution can be accelerated? I don't think it's possible. Evolution, rather the events that lead to evolution (DNA-mutations, selection...) are random. If at any point in the future a great mind is born (I believe that 'fate' is another word for DNA-mutations, but that's a different story), he or she will find out something essential. The wisdom will be passed on. His/her genes might not.

We are able to induce mutations into organisms (partly accelerating evolution), but we don't let them evolve as they might do in nature.

You seem to be missing my point, evolution at its most basic level is survival of the fittest. Investigations in to stuff and scientific experiments are all good, but they don't affect the species as a whole. evolution has been, and probably always will be, caused by a need in the species, to escape danger, to further our species. Whilst experiments amongst individuals is good, there really needs to be a general effort amongst the majority of man for any advances to take hold.

It's either that or eugenics.

We apparently only use only 10% of our brains, the capacity is much more, it's just about learning to use it. That will come with evolution

I went from there. For me it seems you say that throughout the next I don't know, billion years evolution makes humans able to use more than 10% (or whatever limit it is) of their brains.

And then you went on about how we can accelerate evolution.

Sorry if I misinterpreted. So you're saying that we already possess the potential to use more of our brains and that we need to "train" it, instead of sitting around?

If so, what has evolution to do with it?

evolution has been, and probably always will be, caused by a need in the species, to escape danger, to further our species.

I disagree. This sounds like species intend to evolve, but that's never been the case. The need to escape danger does not induce evolution, evolution generates the ability to escape.

I went from there. For me it seems you say that throughout the next I don't know, billion years evolution makes humans able to use more than 10% (or whatever limit it is) of their brains.

And then you went on about how we can accelerate evolution.

Sorry if I misinterpreted. So you're saying that we already possess the potential to use more of our brains and that we need to "train" it, instead of sitting around?

If so, what has evolution to do with it?

I think we do possess the potential, if you think about it every human has the potential to be the next Bruce Lee or Albert Einstein, it just depends what direction they push themselves in. evolution comes in to it because that is what it is called when a species changes genetically. I believe there changes can be accelerated if enough people push themselves in the right direction.

To be honest it's not much different from eugenics, but it gives everyone a chance to contribute, rather than just taking the creme de la creme of the population and killing the rest.

I disagree. This sounds like species intend to evolve, but that's never been the case. The need to escape danger does not induce evolution, evolution generates the ability to escape.

That's just a chicken and egg argument.

Yes, the evolution does provide the escape they need, but it's more scientifically feasible that by continually trying to escape they generate the evolution themselves.

No matter how much someone tries to escape, they will not evolve. But if there are mutations from birth, they will be better adapted to escape.

evolution comes in to it because that is what it is called when a species changes genetically.

No, it isn't. Becoming the next Bruce Lee or Einstein isn't the same as changing genetically. If a person pushes himself or herself into being stronger or more intelligent those abilities won't get inherited.

Lamarck had the same thought: Animals change because they need to change and those changes will be passed on to the next generations. But that's been disproven (disproved?).

Edit: Just as Diageo says.

I believe there changes can be accelerated if enough people push themselves in the right direction.

I agree with you there, but as I said it doesn't really affect evolution.

That's just a chicken and egg argument.

Yours is one, too, then. :p

It depends from which point one is viewing evolution. If one thinks evolution is an active process, I guess your points are valid. I, however, think evolution is passive.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to 'attack' your point of view.

I've had a lot of conversations about this topic and most of the time people thought I wanted to convince them that my standpoint is the correct and only one. But that's not the case.

No matter how much someone tries to escape, they will not evolve. But if there are mutations from birth, they will be better adapted to escape.

Not one single person, no, or even a generations, or a hundred generations, but by attempting to exceed our grasp is wher it all starts. A genetic mutation has to be commonplace for it to cause evolution, if only one person got it, then they could easily die without passing it on. Life is a mutual struggle, to be better than what we are, don't sit on the sidelines.