NEurope
Rummy

Aliens

Given the results of the recent Wii poll on the EVC of whether Aliens exist or not(70% yes to 30% no basically), I have decided to make a topic about it. Firstly, how about you, do you believe aliens exist?

I was one of the people who voted no, because I'm kind of unsure, and don't even know what constitutes an alien? What do you think of when you think of aliens? What IS an alien, how would you define it?

I was just asking my friend, he said 'something that was born on a different planet to earth?' which I found interesting, because it sort of implies stuff. Then I asked what if I went to the moon and had a baby, would it be an alien(yes, both of these are very unlikely but, you know, hypothetically speaking.) Then he said 'a race substantially different to humans, that evolved on that planet?' Though, the question then is how substantial? It also made me wonder, if we managed to find plantlike life on mars, would you call it an alien?

Please be respectful of other people's ideas and beliefs in this topic, everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and no matter how much to believe you're right and they're wrong, it doesn't neccessarily make it true.

I do believe aliens exist (Voted yes on the wii thingy)

I would class an alien as something that is living and has a mind of its own, but is from a different planet and not the human species. I sort of do think of the stargate aliens when someone does mention 'Alien'.

Loki.jpg

My mum is really into the whole Alien conspiricies thing, and she has loads of books on it and somethings actually make sense.

Yay, it's Thor. Or is it? I never really can tell.

Anyway, Alien life to me is any form of organic, biological organism that has evolved and has come into existence on a planet, moon, any place of inhabitance other than Earth.

Chances we'll actually ever get to meet said aliens? Remote. We can't even hack travelling at lightspeed, so travelling any faster than that (which is apparently possible, due to space time, neutrinos and other bullshit that I don't fully understand) doesn't look very promising, especially seeing as we're on the verge of wiping ourselves out of existence anyway...

Aliens doesnt only mean those who visits earth. Aliens are often made into mythical fantasy creatures thanks to media. I think people need to wash that mindset away.

Maybe you should rather ask, why do you not believe in aliens? What is the likelihood of there only being humans in the entire universe? Not exactly the safest bet wouldnt you say?

What substeinar said. Also, if any planet has little living cells that's enough to be considered aliens, they don't need to have bodies. Also, the fact that a planet isn't like earth doesn't mean it can't support life, who's to say that all life forms need water to live and whatnot?

I think we're all unknowing contestants of a universal Big Brother show. They're probably pissing themselves at how stupid we are.

I believe in them, but not that they would look human in any shape or form!

I hope they exist. Probably not in the forms we'd expect, but they definately exist out there somewhere - there has to be something out there beyond our small reach.

I voted yes. I believe that there is other sorts of viruses and bacteria on other planets That is classed as an alien if it's unknown, so yeah. Yes it is

There will be life out there somewhere. Whether it be bacteria, virii (if you count them as living), plants or animal.

We would know in around 10 years, but the Americans backed out of a joint US/EU project that would enable us to look at planets directly (by "erasing" the light from it's star), and check its spectrum...and therefore find planets that have plants similar to ours.

I also think aliens exist, however, as some pointed out in the form of bacteria and the likes.

But maybe there are one or two other planets where higher life-forms at least on our level exist.

I believe that aliens do exist. However, if they do, I think it is likely that they are simple bacteria, not little green men.

By the laws of probability life exists in our galaxy.

The fact that it hasn't made contact proves its intelligent.

Aliens exist; the question is whether or not we will ever see them. i have read loads of books on them, and some of the stories make sense- hope they do.

So basically people would class anything that fulfills the 7 life signs as an alien? More, less? Some of them?

(for those who may not remember the seven life signs from gcse biology, such as myself, they are Movement, Respiration, Sensitivity, Growth, Reproduction, Excretion and Nutrition, apparently)

It's not that I don't believe in aliens, I actually once had a theory along the lines of ViPer's post, it's just I'm not sure how alien should be defined, and don't want to say yes yet :heh:

Actually I believe muchly that there be other "humanoids" somewhere. Life can exist in the most harshest conditions. They have found life forms in rocks in Antarctica, and in volcanic chemical ponds of goo. Intelligent life would however probably require a temperated oxygen filled world with lots of water.

Yah, they exist in most places.

They'll say hello when we reach type 1.

We'll find some through a telescope in a short while.

We'll find some through a telescope in a short while.

The US cancelled their project, and it's unlikely that the EU can afford theirs...

Someone just completed a mirror for a new one, twice the size of the mirror from the Hubble telescope.

I'm not sure who made exactly, I can't remember.

EDIT: Oh. It be here.

I think we're all unknowing contestants of a universal Big Brother show. They're probably pissing themselves at how stupid we are.

Agreed totally, ever since i once wondered "What if Big Brother went on long enough that someone could have a child in the house, and that person grew up knowing that as their world, then they went on to have more kids etc?"

Then a South Park episode came out which had the same idea, and in that episode, the audience had lost interest and the "show" was going to be cancelled, ie. the world was going to be destroyed :heh: