N-Europe

A Whole New Angle For You Ninty Fans

Ant-Shimmin

Oh please don't be ridiculous, you do understand that not everyone has botomless pockets right? I first buy my fave one and then I get the rest when they're cheap or I have money. It's what I did last gen. Bought a new GC on launch and bought the other ones dirt cheap later on.

Also XBOX360 used XBOX system, it's not like they started from scratch.

I didn't mean buy them straight away - but most hardcore gamers that I nkow down here in hull and in newcastle started out with one system then after 18 months got a second system then a futher 12-18 months after that bought the third console.

Yeah they didn't start from scratch but they altered the user interface from being in game menus to a global menu type thing to add friends. And added new features.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Wii was not marketed solely at families:

- Wii Sports, Wii Play, Warioware adverts were advertised showing families

- Zelda, Red Steel were advertised towards the hardcore gamers.

This is how Nintendo should be marketing the various types of games. To show people that the Wii is designed to suit all their tastes.

Ant's cool. Trying to freshen up the raging debates of the doomed Wii is a courageous step for anyone to take. :smile:

I'm glad to see some positiveness from a few people. I didnt for a minute expect there to be every single game available at launch - or even by now. And just because theres no Smash Bros, Mario, Metroid on the shelves hardly means that the Wii is doomed.

Online play? We'll see what its like when it happens. Will it make or break any games? Doubtful. For example, on the DS Mario Kart and Animal Crossing would still be top notch even without online. Metroid Hunters would still be wick. The current lack of and apparent necessity of online play on the Wii right now that ergo means the whole revolution is off is a bit extreme.

Graphics wise I'm genuinly happy so far. Zelda looks fantastic and the Rabbids charm you into looking past any graphical shortcomings and Redsteel is pretty fine too.

One last thing, so Nintendo's going for the youngest of the young and the oldest of the old? Well, look at what Ant said at the beginning of this: he's a first time Nintendo buyer. I dont get the impression that hes a wee baby nor a pensioner.

this isnt really a new angle though. The people that complain about the Wii already realize that Nintendo isnt targetting them which is the source of the complaining to begin with.

Nintendo are targetting new people who dont realize that Nintendo is capable of better hardware (and software). At the end of the day, its a brilliant plan that saves them time, money and effort, at the expense of pleasing the buyers that do expect more out of them.

Ant's cool. Trying to freshen up the raging debates of the doomed Wii is a courageous step for anyone to take. :smile:

One last thing, so Nintendo's going for the youngest of the young and the oldest of the old? Well, look at what Ant said at the beginning of this: he's a first time Nintendo buyer. I dont get the impression that hes a wee baby nor a pensioner.

Oh man, don't encourage him. :heh: I probably played a bigger part in convicing him to get a Wii that Nintendo's marketing.

Well isn't that the same with any other console?

Sorry I don't understand the point your trying to make here?!?

its ok. Its just Pit-Jr, I have programmed my first game on XNA - so I realise whats up. You think Nintendo could of manufactured a better system.

I think I can speak for all and say hell yes they could, price my old friend, when they can put better chips in their console, for around the same or a little better. Then you will get a better machine.

Their are techniques for making wii games look better. Are developers using them, not really - look at ubisoft games for instance - they look terrible now then in 2 years time they'll be getting better graphics out of the chip set thats in their. In in 3-4 years from now when they are pushing out what the chips can deliver and make their code writing more efficient, and combine just that with the special graphical techiques they can use on the chip set.

Then my friend you will see outstanding graphics on the console.

Secondly Pit-Jr, yes they are better software solutions for their console from a first party approach. But its better seeing 3rd parties release their games than none at all. And it doesn't save them any time. As is the case of wii sports 1-2 years development time. Hardly a saving.

I know this from past experiance if your the first one to pick a console updon't expect it to be love at first sight. Their is a couple of games down the line that I know I will love. But I am setting up the VC this weekend probs. And that may make a difference.

Not saving them time or money.

ZF, were you sober when you posted that?

Wii Sports taking 1-2 years to develop is not a suprise considering its the only completely new internal Wii game Nintendo released so far and that its used in conjunction with the Mii Channel.

Im referring to games like Fire Emblem, Strikers, Mario Party, Wario Ware, etc. that are remixes of the GC games. Even Super Paper Mario is just a blatant recycling of TTYD. Im not bashing these games, i might even buy SPM, but your overlooking the obvious when you say they arent saving time and money programming on the Wii.

ZF, were you sober when you posted that?

Wii Sports taking 1-2 years to develop is not a suprise considering its the only completely new internal Wii game Nintendo released so far and that its used in conjunction with the Mii Channel.

Im referring to games like Fire Emblem, Strikers, Mario Party, Wario Ware, etc. that are remixes of the GC games. Even Super Paper Mario is just a blatant recycling of TTYD. Im not bashing these games, i might even buy SPM, but your overlooking the obvious when you say they arent saving time and money programming on the Wii.

If they were bothered about time and money they would of released some of these games on the GC - ported them over to the wii with new controls you know.

I am affraid to admit it. But Strikers and Wario Ware were built from the ground up on the wii. As well as other titles like BWii. Nintendo hate as well like most japanese developers using engines(graphics).

Anyway yeah I know how difficult it is to program these short games, so damn these long games. Anywho they still had to program them once. They Strikers may be alot better because we haven't seen anything on that for along time. Plus creating the online component of a game takes a pretty serious amount of time. I only managed to get my XNA game to have basic online support. Its difficult.

God some people.

its ok. Its just Pit-Jr, I have programmed my first game on XNA - so I realise whats up. You think Nintendo could of manufactured a better system.

I think I can speak for all and say hell yes they could, price my old friend, when they can put better chips in their console, for around the same or a little better. Then you will get a better machine.

Their are techniques for making wii games look better. Are developers using them, not really - look at ubisoft games for instance - they look terrible now then in 2 years time they'll be getting better graphics out of the chip set thats in their. In in 3-4 years from now when they are pushing out what the chips can deliver and make their code writing more efficient, and combine just that with the special graphical techiques they can use on the chip set.

Then my friend you will see outstanding graphics on the console.

Secondly Pit-Jr, yes they are better software solutions for their console from a first party approach. But its better seeing 3rd parties release their games than none at all. And it doesn't save them any time. As is the case of wii sports 1-2 years development time. Hardly a saving.

I know this from past experiance if your the first one to pick a console updon't expect it to be love at first sight. Their is a couple of games down the line that I know I will love. But I am setting up the VC this weekend probs. And that may make a difference.

Not saving them time or money.

Sorry, have you totally changed your tune on Wii now? Or am I misreading?

Sorry, have you totally changed your tune on Wii now? Or am I misreading?

Yes totally changed my tune - we had a session yesterday at uni about what we will be studying on the comp sci with games development. One thing they were showing off is how they got a full wii sdk. And were showing the cool stuff you could do with it and the like. And greatest part is they are trying to get a bigger percentage of that on the course. With other systems aswell but who cares. I have seen what it can do from a software engineering/programmer, and I must say its quite amazing the little techniques you can do to get the most out of what the system can potentially deliver.

Yeah, about the mindframe of fans. You still have no point and what you just brought up was even randomer, more coherence please.

It wasn't random though i was fed up of hearing Ninty fans whinge on about how they haven't got this and they haven't got that...

You said to me about How Nintendo is after the real gamers....I'm sorry but they are just marketing their features to a whole new market...They are as bad as Sony in that respect

You can go on about Mario being for the hardcore fans, but like the other Wii games, I bet when Mario Galaxy does eventualluy come out an advert will appear with families...

People are whinging about how the Wii doesn't have this and it doesn't have that....

DVD player for instance, jesus christ i have about 10 of them in my house, well i used t, a DVD player in the wii would only go un-used...

However As I have said i for one am happy with my Wii but I it makes me laugh to hear about "Harcore" Ninty fans moaning about games, when they have yet to realise that Nintendo couldn't give two craps about them....Just like any other company...

Wake up and smell the coffee, Nintendo doesn't shit roses

It wasn't random though i was fed up of hearing Ninty fans whinge on about how they haven't got this and they haven't got that...

You said to me about How Nintendo is after the real gamers....I'm sorry but they are just marketing their features to a whole new market...They are as bad as Sony in that respect

You can go on about Mario being for the hardcore fans, but like the other Wii games, I bet when Mario Galaxy does eventualluy come out an advert will appear with families...

People are whinging about how the Wii doesn't have this and it doesn't have that....

DVD player for instance, jesus christ i have about 10 of them in my house, well i used t, a DVD player in the wii would only go un-used...

However As I have said i for one am happy with my Wii but I it makes me laugh to hear about "Harcore" Ninty fans moaning about games, when they have yet to realise that Nintendo couldn't give two craps about them....Just like any other company...

DVD player was actually promissed by Nintendo though.

And Red steel/excitetruck/ and zelda - were single male gamers advertising them. But hey its all about choice and if they weren't after the core gamer why go through all the effort of vc stuff.

DVD player was actually promissed by Nintendo though.

And Red steel/excitetruck/ and zelda - were single male gamers advertising them. But hey its all about choice and if they weren't after the core gamer why go through all the effort of vc stuff.

If you call randomly chosing a game from a shelf and uploading it effort, then you and I both of different views on the word effort

They mentioned about the next Version to be released in Japan would have one...

They never.

If you call randomly chosing a game from a shelf and uploading it effort, then you and I both of different views on the word effort

If it required effort or not has nothing to do with who the virtual console appeals to, you seriously make no sence.

All fanboys like to think there is no fault with what thay like, however don't dare generalise the members of this forum as a bunch of 'moaning ninty fans'. Many people on this forum own more than one console, that fact only adds to the reason they have a right to critisize the Wii in an unbiased way. If your rant is against fanboys then you'll find this forum a very appealing place as it has a non-tollerant attitude towards them. Your pointing the finger and someone who isn't there.