NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Epic Games: We Beat The Wii!

Linkage

"Getting sales is great, making the game we wanted and having people buy it and enjoy it is fantastic. But having our peers say it's the best game of the year? That's insane. We beat the Wii."

Hey all, I haven't posted in what has been forever, but I can't believe there isn't a topic on this.

Michael Capps is the man that made this statement after Gears swept away with a heap of awards from DICE. He's Epic's chief executive officer. Now it's fine to boast about the accolades you have won for your products, but his last comment in the quote just demonstrates how childish some of these people are.

The Wii is a console, so it wasn't competing against Gears anyway. What the Wii did win was the most innovative product of 2007. His comment on the Wii is entirely irrelevant and sounds more like a school yard contest of 'such a game is better than so and so'.

No wonder Mark Reign has the attitude he does.

Perhaps he was talking about as in number of rewards?

And why is it childish to say that? One of his game got 8 rewards and maybe he said that in sheer joy.....

Gears did beat the Wii, deservedly. The Wii is a little bit crap. I first realised this when I first played some of it's games and realised they worked better with a regular controller.

Any controller that impedes control more than enhance it should be shot with the harpoon from Jeepers Creepers 2. Not to say the Wii isn't great - it is pretty cool, it just needs more games to convince me it isn't a gimmick.

Also, I know I have praised the Wii before, but I have a Hypocrite Coupon especially valid on Internet forums and I'm laying that shit down now. If that doesn't dunk your basketball then consider much like me, Michael Capps probably isn't serious.

God I need to stop posting here at 2:38am.

Gears did beat the Wii, deservedly. The Wii is a little bit crap. I first realised this when I first played some of it's games and realised they worked better with a regular controller.

Any controller that impedes control more than enhance it should be shot with the harpoon from Jeepers Creepers 2. Not to say the Wii isn't great - it is pretty cool, it just needs more games to convince me it isn't a gimmick.

Also, I know I have praised the Wii before, but I have a Hypocrite Coupon especially valid on Internet forums and I'm laying that shit down now. If that doesn't dunk your basketball then consider much like me, Michael Capps probably isn't serious.

I pretty much agree with this fine young man.

Mark Rein is a bit of a prick though.

I dunno, Wii Sports, Madden and Wario are all pretty goddamn awesome.

Also, it seems to me like he actually had respect for the Wii, given that he was surprised for defeating it for many award cateories. That's not to say he genuinely respects it, he was probably just paying it lip-service.

It sounds to me like he was surprised more than anything else. Maybe he expected the Wii to win in every category so he was shocked that Gears of War was able to 'beat the Wii'.

I think the Wii-mote is great as an option, but it's not a one size fits all item. It annoys that many great fanchises may be tarnished by the inclusion of gimmicky control schemes when a solid standard control would suffice (and be far better).

"we beat the wii"

High praise for the wii actually.

People only compare with the best.
Exactly what I thought when I read it. There was no reason to bring up the Wii at all, he didn't say it in a way to put the console down, it was almost like an expression of happiness that they beat a product that they appreciate is way up there.

I think the Wii-mote is great as an option, but it's not a one size fits all item. It annoys that many great fanchises may be tarnished by the inclusion of gimmicky control schemes when a solid standard control would suffice (and be far better).

Statements like this surely only show how much work Nintendo still has to do, in making the wiimote the only way to play games. It is true though some games just don't seem to work with the wii, this is obvious with the likes of splinter cell where the wii version is apparently made awful by the controls, so if this is the case Nintendo have a problem, as people aren't going to buy games that are available on other consoles on the wii if they use conventional control.

It is beginning to make me think for great epic games (not the company) I am gonna have to rely on the 360 (which I'm yet to buy) rather than ports that have these controls tacked on, and rather than the drip feed of epics we will likely get on the wii.

It's a shame though, I've got bored of the likes of the xbox, cube and PS2, so the Wii was a new way of control that opened so many possibilties, I think however in hindsight I may have bought a 360 first and not been such an early adopter but like the fanboy I seem to becoming I had to have it from day one!

SHIT! Someone else just said something about the wii that may have been slightly-not-100%-positive. They must burn.

Surely the 360 beat the Wii then, not a game beating a console...

Surely the 360 beat the Wii then, not a game beating a console...

Epic obviously are big headed enough to say that they think that they have single handedly helped the 360 beat the Wii, something you cannot justify- one game does not make a console as Zelda TP and the Wii proves.

You'd all be fine if Reggie came out and said, "We beat [so and so]"

No, it would also be big headed of Reggie. Why is there always someone who comes into the thread and says "If Nintendo said it you'd all have different opinions!"

Gears of War beat my Wii, I haven't even completed Zelda. I just haven't been bothered, yet Gears of War had me hooked. Completed that little beauty and I've started a second run through.

So the Wii is beatable, atleast thats something for those who believe themselves to be the competitors to take heart from.

:blank:

No, it would also be big headed of Reggie. Why is there always someone who comes into the thread and says "If Nintendo said it you'd all have different opinions!"

Because I think most of you would.

Sign in to follow this