N-Europe

Newcomers to Smash Bros Melee

Pookiablo

Howdy y'all,

Does anyone find that whenever they introduce Smash Bros Melee (or SSB for that matter) to someone new, they seem to find it difficult to actually play the game? I mean the controls are easier than any other fighting game I know, yet when my housemate and girlfriend played a game with me earlier, neither of them were actually capable of pulling off a smash attack.

Is this a common thing or are these two individuals just somewhat uncoordinated?

It's one of the best, most skillful 2D fighters that I can think of, there's so much under the surface that takes years to find and understand. I've been playing it as school a lot lately and everyone seems to get the hand of it eventually after a few matches, but the concept is sometimes a bit difficult for them to understand at first, since it's the only game of it's kind.

Howdy y'all,

Does anyone find that whenever they introduce Smash Bros Melee (or SSB for that matter) to someone new, they seem to find it difficult to actually play the game? I mean the controls are easier than any other fighting game I know, yet when my housemate and girlfriend played a game with me earlier, neither of them were actually capable of pulling off a smash attack.

Is this a common thing or are these two individuals just somewhat uncoordinated?

yes i totally agree and i always thought this game could have done with more advanced fighting.the rules are difficult to explain.You have to hit them off the screen?a lot of people dont get that.

I've never played the game. It's one title that just never appealed to me, but it seems to be everyone else's favorite and it certainly sold a hell of a lot of copies.

i feel the same way.....You know something we agree a lot

I don't think the concept is too hard to explain to people. The more you get hit, the more you get sent flying is all that needs to be said really. Apart from that it controls like a standard 2d fighter crossed with Mario World platforming. The harder thing is to get used to the controls, smash bros is pretty much button basher proof. Noobies find it hard at first (I found it hard to get used when I first played the 64 version round a mates).

The first stumbling block in smash bros is learning how to get back on stage using up B. Then it's learning how to tap/tilt, and then you get to grips with some basic strategy, like knowing when to shield/dodge/roll and counter your opponents moves and then you're pretty much as good as anyone else who has the game.

But the game is, of course, much deeper and it took me years to discover all these hidden things that truly make it a skilful fighter. I mean, it's the only game (apart from halo 2) recognised by major league gaming.

I mean, it's the only game (apart from halo 2) recognised by major league gaming.

*Chokes*

You what...? Ever heard of Evo2k? These should ring a bell then:

Street Fighter 3rd Strike - probably the most played and prestigious "pro" game these days.

Gulity Gear XX

Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting

Capcom Vs Snk

Tekken DR

About Evolution Fighting Game Tournament

Theres a fucking prize pool this year of over 100,000 dollars in cash.

Oh. Well I guess I'm the n00b then eh?

Heh, well I don't know much about the evolution fighting game tournament :o. Although I would have thought pc games like CS and Unreal were more professionally played than anyting on consoles.

Yeah fighters do kick ass, FPSs also. Although RPGs possibly beat them both...

I would say...one RPG in particular...:heh:

But nah, even though Chrono Trigger takes the granddaddy videogaming crown, I still love fighters more than anything else.

Zell..Bard..you remember that video?

You have no idea how much I love you at this point in time :heh:. Possibly the closest pro videogaming will ever get to pop culture. Absolutely awe inspiriing.

A better overall match though:

It's so very awesome...