NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Your opinions of Luck?

Luck, I find, is a very interesting and amazing phenomenon, and I'm quite curious for other people's ideas and opinions. Do you consider yourself a lucky person, or an unlucky person? Are you neither, or are you super lucky/super unlucky?

I'm not asking for no reason, I have to do a miniproject for my course, and I'm looking into how certain variables can predict luck and stuff, I won't say too much, as I'm hoping some of you might help me out by filling in some stuff(if i figure out an easy way to go about it).

But anyway, what are your opinions? Do you think luck can be explained, or is it a force beyond us? Do you think lucky charms actually work? Do you yourself actually carry any sort of lucky charms?

I don't believe in lucky charms or the like but I do tend to find myself doing superstitous things in tense situations, like a football match for example.

My LCK is -100.

Well I'm lucky compared to hobos and ethiopians and people with serious diseases, but still, a lot of shit happens and when it comes to luck, I always get the short straw.

If there is such a thing, I hope I get it tommorow, as I shall be buying my monthly euromillions ticket.

You been watching too much Just My Luck?

Hmmm, I dunno whether I actually believe in luck. And I don't think I'm either, I mean yeah you can say I'm lucky in the way of my family and friends and all that but not in the sense as in find a tenner everyday.

Luck is weird. I personally believe myself to have pretty poor luck, but thinking back my luck has usually been pretty good. If you're really stumped like I am about the subject, the words of one cheesy movie character will always guide you:

TitCal1.jpg

"A real man makes his own luck."

the words of one cheesy movie character will always guide you:

tiof2.jpg

"A real man makes his own luck."

Unluckily, the hotlinking the image is not allowed.

Luck? obviously theres 2 forms, our young enterprise group was to sell roses tomorrow so we went to the shops to get them, but the shops were closed for the whole day. I got back and got like 10 msn messages that my school is closed tomorrow, therefore if we had got the roses then we would have to keep them til after half term when they may have died.

luck? or perhaps pure chance and probability

I'll tell you my opinions on luck when I get some

Ditto. 10 chars.

Luck doesn't exist, in the sense that you don't get luck, stuff just happens, either good stuff or bad stuff. Unlucky is just another word for incompetence.

It depends on what you consider to be "luck", but in most instances what is perceived as luck is merely chance.

Though I suppose luck by definition is the result of chance. Since chance by definition is random, then luck must therefore also be random. So chance and luck are one and the same. Someone who is said to be "lucky" has merely experienced a consecutive number of positive outcomes involving chance. As these outcomes are all random, luck cannot be said to be a predetermined aspect. Hence "lucky" isn't valid as a personality trait, it is only a temporary description.

It depends on what you consider to be 'luck', but in most instances what is perceived as luck is merely chance.

But isn't luck just a form of chance?

You been watching too much Just My Luck?

If thats to me, no, I was in need of an article to base my project off and not keen on trawling through journal after journal, so I took the easy way out and searched for a tv psychologist. Richard Wiseman came to mind as he would probably have articles on his site(which he did), and I find the stuff he talks about quite interesting. Here's a link to his site, and then the experiment I used as my base paper;

http://www.psy.herts.ac.uk/wiseman/

Check out the research part for some interesting stuff such as experiments he's done.

http://www.psy.herts.ac.uk/wiseman/papers/Born%20lucky%20PAID%202005.pdf

It's basically a study about how lucky people are and if it correlates with the month in which they are born, I haven't really read the results in detail as they confuse me(don't tell my lecturers) but he basically found that people born in sort of summer time(march-august?) are more lucky than winter borns(sept-feb?). Due to the nature of the variables though, a cause and effect can not be determined, only a co-relation. Enough of that though.

He's done other research as well, and I would actually recommend people(lucky people who are interested, and most certainly people who feel they unlucky) to buy his book called The Luck Factor(he has another called Did You Spot the Gorilla, based on another unbelievable experiment, but the book's about recognising hidden oppurtunities in your life). I'm trying to get through The Luck Factor, as it'll give me alot of material to use when I come to write up my project, and need other references too, but it's quite good, explaining some theories of luck and ways to actually increase your luck.

It's quite a good book though, with little excercises to increase luck, showing how/why lucky people are lucky and why unlucky people are unlucky, and theory abot it such as lucky people tend to have higher measures on certain personality traits and stuff, and in turn do things that unlucky people wouldn't.

As for me personally, I tend to say I'm neither, but I think thats me just trying not to tempt fate, and whilst I am unlucky in some certain aspects, I think I secretly consider myself lucky overall. That's another interesting part of it, just believing your lucky! Alot of it is to do with mindset. If you think you're unlucky, you might not do something because you think it won't work because you're unlucky, but a lucky person would, if that makes sense?

Luck doesn't exist, in the sense that you don't get luck, stuff just happens, either good stuff or bad stuff. Unlucky is just another word for incompetence.

No, it isn't. But Shino is

Either that was a really bad joke, or you're just an immature prick.

Shut up you loser, me and Shino are mates- but you wouldn't know what they are. Stop shooting me down on everything I say, or I will get upset. And you don't want that.

Shut up you loser, me and Shino are mates- but you wouldn't know what they are. Stop shooting me down on everything I say, or I will get upset. And you don't want that.

4141402_a1.jpg

I've been lucky with everything in my life.

From where i live to my girlfriend... it was all luck.

No offense, I know I live in England too, but I would be much happier in the States. Oh, and Shino, you are one funny dude. We need to get in touch again sometime soon...

No offense, I know I live in England too, but I would be much happier in the States. Oh, and Shino, you are one funny dude. We need to get in touch again sometime soon...

I'm sure he can't wait.

There's not such thing as luck, its just that we don't have another word to describe 'lucky' things. Like when the ball hits the net court in tennis and you win the point because of it, its not lucky, it happened because you didn't hit the ball properly.

I read something o n the internet a few weeks ago about luck actually, some guy took 100 people who thought they were lucky and 100 people who thought they were unlucky and gave them all a newspaper to read. Inside the newspaper there was something that said if you see this you win £100. I can't remember the numbers, but a significantly larger amount of the people who thought themselves as lucky saw it than people who thought they were unlucky.

He then took the unlucky people and took them through a course to make themselves feel 'lucky' and most of them thought they were being more lucky after that course. It's more a mental state than anything else.

I see luck and chance as pretty much the same thing really. If you're lucky you can get a chance for something good to happen... and if by chance something good does happen then that's quite lucky?

I suppose it doesn't really matter whether you believe in luck or not, good or bad things may happen to you and you can either see them as lucky/unlucky or you can accept it as chance or fate or whatever.

So in conclusion I don't know...

Luck is just the consequence of actions, nothing else.

As my favourite philosopher, give or take a few, Seneca said:

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

and,

“Luck never made a man wise.”

Sign in to follow this