NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KingOfHyrule

National anthems

Inspired after hearing the Welsh national anthem (which I thought was superb - the group of Welsh in the bar in Belfast stood up and were so proud to be singing it!) at yesterday's Wales vs Ireland rugby match, I decided to open a thread about national anthems. What's your country's? What does it mean for you? Are you proud to hear and sing it?

Personally, I absolutely adore Ireland's national anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann (The Soldier's Song) and my heart bursts with pride when it's played or when I sing it, it means a lot to me. Without getting political, it annoys and embarrasses me when the Irish rugby team don't sing it at away matches, instead opting for the more "neutral" Ireland's Call, which is more of a sporting anthem.

EDIT: Anthems mentioned so far:

Ireland - Amhrán na bhFiann

Scotland - Flower Of Scotland

Wales - Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

England (United Kingdom) - God Save The Queen

Portugal A Portuguesa

South Africa Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (Lyrics)

Australia Advance Australia Fair

Denmark Der Er Et Yndigt Land

Ukraine Shche Ne Vmerla Ukraina

There is no greater anthem than Flower Of Scotland.

Seriously, when your at a national game with 40,000 other proud scots singing their hearts out - it makes the hair on your neck stand up.

Flower of Scotland is a fantastic anthem too, I really like it :) I try to listen to as many anthems as I can, I like hearing other countries' anthems.

Good thread. :)

I'm Welsh, so my anthem is Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.

You're right as well. Whenever I'm in a pub when a Wales game is on, the Welsh fans always do sing it out loud.

Although, the Irish national anthem got a great cheer as well, but we were in an Irish pub, so it was bound to happen. :heh:

But yeah, the title for the Welsh national anthem officially means "The Land of my Fathers". It reminds me of junior school, where we had to learn this in assembly. It also reminds me of Rugby matches where I'm out with friends and they sing their respective anthems. Like, last year, we watched the Wales vs France game with some French people, and they bellowed out their anthem. :heh:

Flower of Scotland is great, but it is a bit dated now, singing about how we beat the English... Sums up Scotland nicely actually. Its so good hearing it live though.

Although, the Irish national anthem got a great cheer as well, but we were in an Irish pub, so it was bound to happen. :heh:

Ugh, Ireland's Call is far from our national anthem - tune in next week to the Ireland v France game in Dublin and you'll hear our national anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann, then that cop-out of a song, Ireland's Call ;)

The English one is pretty sucky, I think they should change it to someting else that sums up the country a bit more - maybe Land of Hope and Glory? Or Jerusalem?

God Save The Queen/King

Just pure Greatness.

However for football I think England should use Land of Hope and Glory as all the other home countries use their own anthems.

Ugh, Ireland's Call is far from our national anthem - tune in next week to the Ireland v France game in Dublin and you'll hear our national anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann, then that cop-out of a song, Ireland's Call ;)

I'll make sure to check it out. :)

Blackfox: The English anthem is pretty sucky. I reckon it should get changed to Strawberry Fields or something. :heh:

I quite like Ireland's Call actually, even though it's not their proper anthem. Though not too impressed with the players half arsed attempt to hum along to it on Sunday.

If you lot that are saying the English national anthem is sucky, are you referring to God Save The Queen/King?

If so that is actually yours aswell (Scottish & Welsh). It's the British national anthem.

But for some reason during sporting events England also use it whereas Scotland & Wales drop it and use their own anthems.

There is a big campaign to let England use an anthem of their own like Land of Hope and Glory.

God Save The Queen/King is also sung by many of the commonwealth countries.

If you lot that are saying the English national anthem is sucky, are you referring to God Save The Queen/King?

If so that is actually yours aswell (Scottish & Welsh). It's the British national anthem.

I think that's why some of us resent it. :heh:

Don't really like God Save the Queen all that much. Like you said, much rather England used land of hope and glory for matches.

Personally I would prefer England to sing "10 german bombers". If you go see England play you will soon realise this is a great song. :D

I quite like Ireland's Call actually, even though it's not their proper anthem. Though not too impressed with the players half arsed attempt to hum along to it on Sunday.

Ireland's Call is ok as a gimmicky song for sporting events but the reason it's there is of course a long and complex one - players from the north of Ireland who'd see themselves as "British" would refuse to sing Amhrán na bhFiann so Ireland's Call had to be written to include everyone who'd wear a green jersey, the British players from the north included. And I've now noticed that some of them won't even sing along to Ireland's Call...

If you're going to play for a country, it makes sense that you'd just have to learn to sing the anthem - Mick McCarthy learned to sing Amhrán na bhFiann (in Irish!) as a mark of respect when he was managing the Irish soccer team, and he was English! I'd much rather use the national anthem all the time for rugby instead of just at home; I'd rather other countries heard it and saw how proud the Irish are of it, not to cop out and play down to a group of men who don't want to sing it in the first place. :nono: [/rant]

I'm from portugal. Our anthem sucks. It really really sucks.

Just listened to it - reminds me of the French anthem a bit!

I believe the hjaltland song is about vikings

meh - its ok, but I cant tell the words

I'm from portugal. Our anthem sucks. It really really sucks.

No you do, and hard. Our anthem rocks, and I'm not saying this because I'm Portuguese, it really is awesome.

The South African anthem always brings a tear to my eye. Its a beautiful song and I swell with pride whenever I hear it. What is amazing is that it employs 4 different languages of SA: English, Xhosa, Afrikaans, Sesotho, and Zulu.

Its called: Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (God Bless Africa)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NsWwz9UmjVk

Australian, dont even know the words to it, dont think i ever stood up when it played expected at sporting matches (wheres its manners).

most Australians even joke about it, its just .... crap

edit: we don't have an sporting anthem

well beeing from Denmark ours is the best.. ha ha

well it's easy to sing.. I "hate" those pompous national anthems that are only created to say "look how mighty and dignified we are" and are impossible to sing along to.. you sit there and think.. well thats a lot of noise and drums and trumpets.. but where the f*** is the melody in that.. the german and the british ones have also always been favorites of mine

The English one is pretty sucky, I think they should change it to someting else that sums up the country a bit more - maybe Land of Hope and Glory? Or Jerusalem?

I think maybe Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do.

God Save The Queen is pure dirge, refuse to sing it. It's easily the most miserable national anthem I've heard and excludes anyone who's not a christian or a monarchist in the first line alone. And we even nicked the tune.

Sign in to follow this