NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
arab_freak

Bulletproof "Halo" suit invented

This guy created a cheap, light-weight, bulletproof suit that looks like something that came out of Halo. Would you join the army if you knew you were going to wear something this wacky?

It has some pretty cool features though. It has a laser-pointing device to help in "sniper ambush situations", headlights, built-in radio, and there's even a solar-powered air-conditioner to help cool whoever is wearing it down. What I find ridiculous though is that there's a can of mace on his right arm. "When the soldier is all out of bullets and there are like...10-20 insurgents coming in...what's he going to do? It's simple. He would simply go into the prone position, lift up his arm, and there we go."

There's also a "cock clock" (at least that's what I like to call it). You'll know why once you watch the video. Oh yeah, and he shows you the prototypes and testing at the end.

His inspiration? "Well, I went back to my earlier designs...I did look at Star Wars, I looked at Halo...the..eh, video game..uhh..and then I started talking to the professionals in the field."

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/media_archive/jan-11-2007_a.html

ngbbs45ab532dc265f.jpg

I'd love to see how that would be used in real combat situations.

Weird, I was talking to my friend about something like this just yesterday. We wondered why you can have bullet proof vests but not full armour - suppose cost must have come into it...

It doesn't really matter how it looks, it's bulletproof so I don't think any soldiers would mind even if it looked like a frilly pink dress just so long as it stopped them from getting shot.

Dammit! You beat me to posting this! My friend set me the link at like 3 this morning, it took me a while to realise this isn't actually a joke. It seemed too surreal.

Weird, I was talking to my friend about something like this just yesterday. We wondered why you can have bullet proof vests but not full armour - suppose cost must have come into it...

Don't forget bullet proof suits have a lot of weight to them.

Speaking of that, i think that suit isn't bullet proof at all.

Why not? I should imagine it is, that's gotta have been like the top priority!

Slightly related, but not, I was reading about non-newtonion fluids on wikipedia, they're apparently being researched for use in stab proof and bullet proof armour.

Anyone remmeber those 'invisibility' cloaks? They could actually bend light and we would appear to look around the person.

That video...it seems to good to be true. I want one.

That suit would work.... Think about it, if you were a soldier, and you saw an army of those running towards ya, you'd piss ya self laughing, and by the time you stopped, you'd realise you were dying.

Stick a laser pointer to your forehead, than try to point it at a sniper 1 Km away, while avoiding being shot. Yep, it works.

This is the same guy who claimed he'd invented a machine which could make solid objects see-through. I can't remember a link but I'm sure it'll be Googlable.

Anyone remmeber those 'invisibility' cloaks? They could actually bend light and we would appear to look around the person.

I remeber some that were really just a camera at the back and then a projector onto the cloak.

That looks pretty shit. It looks like it's made out of plastic.

Has anybody got any pictures about the suit that the advanced warfighter suit was based on?

This is the same guy who claimed he'd invented a machine which could make solid objects see-through. I can't remember a link but I'm sure it'll be Googlable.

Are these both about the same thing? Having said this, I remember seeing a thing on like Tomorrow's World or something about cloaking devices, and it actually would/does work quite well in a ambiguous area like a jungle or forest. A suit of mirrors would in effect work, as where a person stands you'd just see lots of reflected greenery, all they need is a skintight 'mirror' suit. It only works when you're still of course, but I was quite impressed when I saw it.

I want to see how that thing copes with few rounds of assault rifle fire from 50m. My guess is that it would start falling apart. And as Shino pointed out the laser is pretty much useless. If there was a sniper you wouldn't see him. But there is a device that can find snipers as long as they use a scope rather than iron sights.

all they need is a skintight 'mirror' suit.

You mean this?

mirrorballsuittg7.png

Stick a laser pointer to your forehead, than try to point it at a sniper 1 Km away, while avoiding being shot. Yep, it works.

But you'll be too bullet-proof to worry about it! :heh:

Haha is that guy serious?

Anyways I find that design very funny. However I don't understand why his palms and neck are hardly covered. Sure they're hard to hit but why not cover them?

My prediction for his next invention:

a shoulder mounted rocketlauncher, 2 laser arms, a crosshair on the visor, netbeat time, a sentry gun on the head, jet boots and a system that filters the sediments out of the urine so you can drink it again :D

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1767055/posts?page=1

Already, he says, the suit has stood up to bullets from high-powered weapons, including an elephant gun.

The suit was empty during the ballistics tests, but he's more than ready to put it on and face live fire. "I would do it in an instant," he said. "Bring it on."

The whole suit -- which draws design inspiration from Star Wars, RoboCop, Batman and video games -- is made from high-impact plastic lined with ceramic bullet protection over ballistic foam. Its many features include compartments for emergency morphine and salt, a knife and emergency light. Built into the forearms are a small recording device, a pepper-spray gun and a detachable transponder that can be swallowed in case of trouble. Dangling between the legs, that would be a clock. In the helmet, there's a solar-powered fresh-air system and a drinking tube attached to a canteen in the small of the back.

The whole suit comes in at 18 kilograms. It covers everything but the fingertips and the major joints, and could be mass-produced for about $2,000, Hurtubise says. He said he hopes to earn enough of a living from the suit so he can keep on inventing, but the real reason he did this, he says, is "for the boys."

The whole suit -- which draws design inspiration from Star Wars, RoboCop, Batman and video games -- is made from high-impact plastic lined with ceramic bullet protection over ballistic foam.

The whole suit comes in at 18 kilograms.

A full body armor of bullet proof ceramic weighting just 18 KG?? That sounds fishy. That's why i said it was not bullet proof in the first place. Unless they're using new types of ceramic because a chest-only ceramic bullet proof suit is already heavy like hell. Either that or that man has the strength of a bear (see what i did there?)

Well here is infomation on Wikipedia reference-linkTroy Hurtubise and here is a

A full body armor of bullet proof ceramic weighting just 18 KG?? That sounds fishy. That's why i said it was not bullet proof in the first place. Unless they're using new types of ceramic because a chest-only ceramic bullet proof suit is already heavy like hell. Either that or that man has the strength of a bear (see what i did there?)

Check out 1313 Paste and God Light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise

wont do him much good if someone throws a can of CS gas at him, the helmet isnt sealed!

Sign in to follow this