N-Europe

What Defines Nintendo To You? (Podcast Hot Topic)

Mokong

N-Europe Show #18 is up and live. You can download it HERE

So it's time for another Hot Topic for you to take part in.

In #18 we talked about some of our most treasured Nintendo memories.

So now we ask you what are yours?

The Wii is Nintendo's 5th console, and we'd put good money that most of you reading this have owned all 5, so what keeps you coming back and what are your favourite games on each of the home consoles?

What I like about Nintendo is the hardware. It's not always the most powerful but it's very well designed and almost indestructible.

This also goes for most of their games series. There are 14 or 15 Zelda Adventures and they are all fantastic and bring some new elements to the formula.

Gameplay and leveldesign is almost always fantastic whether it's Mario, Zelda or whatever else. Sure they don't land constant hits but all of their games are very enjoyable and for that matter you can always be sure to get some very good games when you buy a Nintendo System, even if 90% of them would consist of Mario titles.

And all of this is thanks to their strife for innovation and good quality testing. They try to bring in something new with every iteration of their consoles and franchises.

This is what attracts me to Nintendo. If you buy a Nintendo console you can (especially now) be sure you get something original that was never seen before and you can also be sure that the system will have a decent amout of great first party titles that are exclusive to your system.

Awesome gameplay, fantastic games, good vibrant colours. Two games that really stick out from when I was younger are LttP and Super Mario World. Mario does in effect define Nintendo, and I loved all of the 2D marios(and 64 for that matter, and even sunshine). The whole kirby series too. I don't think any one thing can define Nintendo for me, Nintendo are....Nintendo. Simply Nintendo.

Their ability to constantly amaze and surprise you. Sometimes not everyone thinks much of some of those surprises all the time. But they always seem to work out for the better. Like with the wii, nintendo always said they would have a motion sensitive controller, but I doubt anyone would have thought of anything close to the wii-remote.

i believe that Nintendo has something that Sony and Microsoft do not. They have the power to wow an audience with little effort, to captivate the young and the old. Take the Wii for example, It did exactly what Nintendo intended it to do, it brought non-gamers into the market, my brothers girlfriend was even convinced to try i, and yes she may only enjoy Wii tennis, but she now enjoys a Nintendo console. That is what defines Nintendo for me. Their abilty to captivate people. Also i guess their delays to Europe, i mean it cannot be that hard to get it from America to The U.K at least, can it?

My favourite series always has and always will be "The Legend Of Zelda" Series. Which brings me to one more point. Nintendo have to ability to come up with the most memorable characters ever. Link, Mario, The Pikmin, Samus Aran, all very well known, more so Mario, i mean who hasn't heard of "Super Mario"?

Delays, woeful inability to care about their consumers, neglect of us europeans, and yet inspiring such reverance in it's fans. Oh and their astounding ability to convince you to buy their new console the day it comes out, despite the odds.

Pretty much my feelings too. I'd have put the words 'overrated' 'white elephant' and i'd compare their hardcore fanbase to fanatical middle east terrorists :p

Nintendo means quality. When you buy a Nintendo product its a privilage, and its to Nintendo's credit that when they create a product they take pride in making as best as possible. I've only ever had one slight fault with a Nintendo product (GBA SP) and it was replaced within a week. You look at some companies (not necessarily in the industry), and they're just trying to chuck out as much of a product as possible, and couldn't care for quality.

They may not look after us Europeans much, in terms of advertising and marketing, promotions or game translation. Can't rush the best.

In terms of games, Nintendo is defined by memories. The magical moments in games that will stick with me until I drop dead.

Nintendo has an outstanding ability to create something incredible just when you think they might be down. N64 isn't doing to well.....lets release pokémon. GC sales are lacking.....heres a DS to keep us making money. Of course there is all the fantastic software they make as well.

Nintendo also means big delays, somtimes even failure to keep up with the times in some repects- sticking with cartridges, leaving online play late etc

Nintendo have always interested me; from mind-numbingly bright colours and cheerful tunes to equally as mind-numbing characters. Yet for some reason, this captivates me to buy every Ninty product avaliable, be it Wii, DS, (and the DS Lite mind you) NGC, GBA/GBA SP, the list goes on!

Also their innovitave consoles. The touch-screen, although it seemed like a burden to some games, it was a necessity to others. It introduced a new style of gameplay to games. And who could forget the newest edition to the Nintendo family, the Wii. Although it is one of the most hyped consoles, it is worth it. For a while at least. Who could grow tired of watching Grandma beating your brother at tennis just by swinging a controller around?

So really, Nintendo is.. Nintendo. It's something different that you can just try, and like, for the most part :P