NEurope
ReZourceman

How Many Bits Is The Wii?

...N64 was 64, Dreamcast 128 etc. What are the current Gen consoles?

Does it still work like that? Heh, I guess Im out of the loop.

It's probably still measurable like that, but then Microsoft changed it by measuring stuff like megasuperduperflops. So i don't really know.

Probably 128bit, i think both PS3 and Xbox 360 is as well but it really does not matter anymore with regards to graphical cabalitie its about the video card really. just to note PC is at 64 bit lol.

Yeah I don't think it is a sure measure of a machine at all...

it wasn't really back then either. Look at the Jaguar it was apparently 64bit was actually 4 16 bit processors, so it was abit of a con (and this was in the day before duo processors so it didnt really really work like today's processors)

Mine came in 3 bits. The console, the controller and a clear plastic thing I haven't discovered a use for.

Bits mean nothing anymore

example

Playstation = 32bit

Gameboy Advance = 32bit

Exactly. Using "bits" is a very old fashioned way of measuing a system's power.

...N64 was 64, Dreamcast 128 etc. What are the current Gen consoles?

Does it still work like that? Heh, I guess Im out of the loop.

Don't worry man, I used to wonder what the X360, PS3 bits were too.

At GC's launch I heard it was 128bits, and since Wii is based on the same chip, I believe it would be the same, don't know about the other ones.

Happy Holidays. ;)

Sorry. I apologise........my bad.

Think I've just read too many topics at various places that go on about bits and stuff.

For comparison, Xbox ran a 32-bit, PS2 128-bit and the GCN ran a 64-bit chip which I would have thought the Wii would be running because of backwards computability and because of it using the same architecture.

Well I know thw N64 was a 64 bit console, and they said the PS2 was a 128, so I assume the Cube and XBOX were also 128. Dreamcast certainlty claimed it was 128 at the time.

It doesn't really matter, you can measure computers performance in so many different ways nowadays.. FLOPS, ammount of RAM, clock speed...

At GC's launch I heard it was 128bits, and since Wii is based on the same chip, I believe it would be the same, don't know about the other ones.

I thought the GC was 64 bit...

I really doubt this. I think all processors are 32-bit. at least, it was that way at GameCube's launch. Computers have 32-bit and only lately 64-bit support. So I personally think that Wii, wich does not use really expensive stuff, does not have those expensive 64-bit processors. But I'm not sure of it, since I'm not the expert. I do know that the processor of the GameCube was not 128-bit...

I remember reading on the Q+A on here (what happened to that btw?) that the GC was 64, but only used 32 most of the time.

Mine came in 3 bits. The console, the controller and a clear plastic thing I haven't discovered a use for.

Are you talking about the clear plastic disc looking thing?

If so, it slots underneath the silver plastic stand to provide more a more steady base... because if there was an earth quake the first thing we would think is:

'OMG my will fall over sideways, what shal i do, if i try to run across the room from this safe doorframe i could be killed!'

But luckily with the added sideways stability if there is an earthquake we can think:

'It's a good job that Iwata, Shigsy, Reggie and the gang gave us that extra bit for the stand, now i can stay in my safe doorframe without fear of my Nintendo Wii gaming console, with motion sensitive controllers, news, weather, photo and internet features, falling over'

So in short, thats what the clear plastic thing is for, unless you were talking about something else in which case that above explanation has wasted time for both of us.

Are you talking about the clear plastic disc looking thing?

If so, it slots underneath the silver plastic stand to provide more a more steady base... because if there was an earth quake the first thing we would think is:

'OMG my will fall over sideways, what shal i do, if i try to run across the room from this safe doorframe i could be killed!'

But luckily with the added sideways stability if there is an earthquake we can think:

'It's a good job that Iwata, Shigsy, Reggie and the gang gave us that extra bit for the stand, now i can stay in my safe doorframe without fear of my Nintendo Wii gaming console, with motion sensitive controllers, news, weather, photo and internet features, falling over'

So in short, thats what the clear plastic thing is for, unless you were talking about something else in which case that above explanation has wasted time for both of us.

:laughing:

It could also be the part for the sensor bar.

I thought the GC was 64 bit...

Well, maybe it is, I remembering having this exact conversation 6 years ago(!). It's likely I don't remember it.

I really doubt this. I think all processors are 32-bit. at least, it was that way at GameCube's launch. Computers have 32-bit and only lately 64-bit support. So I personally think that Wii, wich does not use really expensive stuff, does not have those expensive 64-bit processors. But I'm not sure of it, since I'm not the expert. I do know that the processor of the GameCube was not 128-bit...

It was normal for console to be ahead of computer in terms of hardware. And don't base that on CPUs, GPUs already go to 512-bit.

:laughing:

It could also be the part for the sensor bar.

Oh for georges sake! How could i have forgot the sensor bar stand!!!! What was i thinking.

If it is the sensor bar stand in question then if there was an earth quake it would make the sensor bar far more unstable than it would be sitting flat on any surface!

I'm so confused! Did Nintendo not Earthquake proof the sensor bar stand... this could be an oversight that ultimately costs Nintendo market leadership in this console war.

it has lots of bits, now get back to Zelda :p (still only 7ish hours in :()

Its unmeasurable.

The fact is, everything these days is in Mhz/Ghz/FSB and cache.