N-Europe

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

ndreamer

Mine was shipped today. Been a long time since last time I ordered something at VG+ so I'm not sure when it will arive, maybe on Monday.

Will I miss out much if I only play single player? Online is near impossible for me. From what I have read the single player is great, but is the game made for single player with multiplayer as a bonus or the other way around? With review comments like this ""-solo adventurers "should still find plenty to enjoy in DQIX"

" it sound like the latter.

Yeah, multi-player is local only unfortunately. Wi-fi is for the online shop and download quests.

Hopefully I'll finish Breath of Fire III before the UK release.

Edit: New US ad.

Apparently there's an advert been shown in the UK now, but I haven't seen it myself.

Edited by Ike

This game is pretty damn decent so far, it starts off slow but after the first hour or so everything just starts to flow really well; it's nicely paced and relatively easy to get into just like an RPG should be. :)

This game is pretty damn decent so far, it starts off slow but after the first hour or so everything just starts to flow really well; it's nicely paced and relatively easy to get into just like an RPG should be. :)

I'm three hours in, are you up to fighting

Wight Knight

yet? Because I am. And I keep dying. Some grindage in order, methinks.

Probably not... I'm not even gonna click the spoiler box because I 'know' I'm probably not where you are, I'm more of a 'grind now - unwind later' kind of player as the first thing I did when I got to the world map was get a good few levels and explore the rest of the map before going where I was supposed to so... I'll probably be where you are soon once I'm satisfied with what level I'm at.

And by grinding early in the game I don't mean over-levelling but just enough so that I'm 'comfortable' with some of the intricacies involved with using the battle system. :)

Edited by S.C.G

One of the things why I think this series is more casual friendly then most RPG, is the fact that you never die. If all your party members die, you go back to where you last saved with all your exp intact but with half your gold gone.

I thought back and then and I still do now, it's easily the best series other then some Nintendo franchises, when it comes to allowing casual and hardcore gamers to both enjoy the game. Very few series can do that. But Dragon Quest can, with the simple yet complex battle system, a well told story, a fantastic world it's set in and lovely music.

It does not need to rely on graphics or cutscene's to make itself good, it has heart put into it, and you can tell in each of the games.

That's definitely the overall vibe I've been getting from this game so it's good to know that it's sticking to the series roots.

It's good that it never relies on its graphics to be good but at the same time it never lets itself down in that department either, providing visuals with a really nice solid feel to them which along with the excellent music brings a great feeling of depth and believability to the world.

Never before have I got such a great sense of being 'part' of this wonderful world thats been created here, now that's not to say that I've never been absorbed by an RPG before just never before quite like this and it's refreshing. :)

A good few hours in now and I feel like I'm starting to 'get' what the series is about and it's a great feeling. :D

Here's IGN's Dragon Quest IX review: http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/110/1104879p2.html

I don't think I'd agree with their criticism of the battle system being "too traditional", as I like it how it is. By the same standards, I'd be disappointed if a Dragon Quest game didn't have "grassy fields", "forests" etc.

However, it does sound like the characterisation has taken a massive step backwards. Apparently, you create all four player characters. For me, part of the appeal of the previous games was meeting them on the way, and reading their dialogue. Also, it's a pity there's no voice acting, as the actors who did Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest Swords are great. It's a shame to waste them.

Voice work can take up massive amounts of space though. I'm sure the game is already rather large in the file size department. Additionally isn't there downloadable quests/items and the such? They'd have to keep extra space in mind for storing new information onto the cart.

Here's IGN's Dragon Quest IX review:

battle system being "too traditional"

characterisation has taken a massive step backwards. .

The battle system works well with the game so IGN are criticising for no good reason there, so what if it's not as complicated as some recent RPG's, it really doesn't matter, the battle system as I understand it is a staple of the series so why change it drastically?

Characterisation feels like its taken a step forwards to me, so often you have to find your party along the way but this has been done to death and the more times its done the more you seem to get typical, less original characters that don't really add much to the game - I'm not saying this is true in all cases - so having the ability to either create or have three 'random' characters join you is great Imo as it leaves you to get on with the rest of the game, some people may not like this aspect but I love it. :)

Voice work can take up massive amounts of space though.

downloadable quests/items extra space.

This... I'd rather they keep extra space for moar content rather than needlessly add loads of voicework; they seem to be focusing on the more important elements of an RPG for this installment and I must say it's damn refreshing as it feels like a classic RPG but with all of the best advancements in recent years that help to enhance the actual way the game plays rather than just dress it up.

However, it does sound like the characterisation has taken a massive step backwards. Apparently, you create all four player characters.

Yes it was known all along, it's more of a successor to Dragon Quest III which is declared by many Dragon Quest fans alike as the GREATEST THING EVAR!!!

I am too happy to see this implemented, as I love the feature, just because the characters don't talk doesn't mean that it lacks charm, towns and the world are still more if not even more alive then the world in DQVIII.

Plus you have stella taging along who is basically the talker through the whole game and from what I have been hearing by some of my good DQ fans friends. they did well on her in the English translation.

Also, it's a pity there's no voice acting, as the actors who did Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest Swords are great. It's a shame to waste them.

First of all you should just be lucky they even gave voice acting to those games, since the Japanese version has never gotten voice. Plus this is a DS game, some have voices, but seriously, DQ never needed voices.

Hmmmm, as a not-so-frequent RPG player (I do thoroughly love 'em though, they're like Big GOOD books one occasionally reads) I'm wondering if I should get this or The World Ends With You.....

Is this a stand alone story?

Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest IX.

Seriously, you like kirby, and your love for Paper Mario love obviously tells me you would rather have a nice charming game with a really fun vibe rather then a serious story *Looks over at worlds end with you*

Did I also mention you should get Dragon Quest IX more?

I am glad D_prOdigy and S.C.G is really enjoying and I hope it makes them think about trying out other Dragon Quest games after IX. It's truly a gem series that has not yet lost it's touch.

The battle system works well with the game so IGN are criticising for no good reason there, so what if it's not as complicated as some recent RPG's, it really doesn't matter, the battle system as I understand it is a staple of the series so why change it drastically?

I totally agree. Many RPGs make the battle system unnecessarily complicated, whereas in my opinion, the depth should come from the strategy instead. I can't even play Final Fantasy IV because of the "ATB" idea, and Final Fantasy XII's "Gambit" system was massively complicated - in effect, you had to write your own A.I.

Characterisation feels like its taken a step forwards to me, so often you have to find your party along the way but this has been done to death and the more times its done the more you seem to get typical, less original characters that don't really add much to the game - I'm not saying this is true in all cases - so having the ability to either create or have three 'random' characters join you is great Imo as it leaves you to get on with the rest of the game, some people may not like this aspect but I love it. :)

OK, I'm sure it'll work well enough, it's just that the player characters in previous Dragon Quests were brilliant.

This... I'd rather they keep extra space for moar content rather than needlessly add loads of voicework; they seem to be focusing on the more important elements of an RPG for this installment and I must say it's damn refreshing as it feels like a classic RPG but with all of the best advancements in recent years that help to enhance the actual way the game plays rather than just dress it up.

That's fair enough. As it's on the DS, I don't think voice acting would have been a wise use of space. On the other hand, it's a numbered Dragon Quest game, and great voice acting has been established in the series - with brilliant actors such as Simon Greenall and Ricky Grover! :)

I'm not looking for reasons to dislike this game, I'm more having a guess at which aspects of the IGN review I'd probably think were valid, as well as which ones I wouldn't.

Hmmmm, as a not-so-frequent RPG player (I do thoroughly love 'em though, they're like Big GOOD books one occasionally reads) I'm wondering if I should get this or The World Ends With You.....

Honestly, every Dragon Quest game I've played is better than The World End With You. For a start, the battle system is like a dancing or rythym action game. Secondly, the characters are general vibe are not something that I "get", personally. Some people love it, and it's certainly something different, but I couldn't recommend it.

To be fair, DQ and TWEWY are clearly very different games. DQIX seems to be a crown jewel for the 'traditional' type of RPG, and is very very welcome on the DS library which thus far has only really had FF and DQ remakes to tout in that area.

TWEWY is, for me, a prime example of how to perfectly modernise the JRPG genre. Personally, I found the combat to be one of the best things about it. Lost dozens of hours trying out all the different pins. And the story; well, I always interpreted it as being mainly tongue-in-cheek anyway, so I don't think it took itself seriously at all.

My view: get both.

Well, the point is you make your own characters, so your supposed to give each character your own characterisations.

DQ doesn't normally do voice work with the exception of DQVIII which I believe was only added to the US/Europe versions. The Japanese version didn't have voice acting.

TWEWY is, for me, a prime example of how to perfectly modernise the JRPG genre. Personally, I found the combat to be one of the best things about it. Lost dozens of hours trying out all the different pins. And the story; well, I always interpreted it as being mainly tongue-in-cheek anyway, so I don't think it took itself seriously at all.

It's been done and it's a lot better.

Persona_3_by_virak.jpg

:D

This game is brilliant, it's all starting to really open up now, I like the fact that you don't necessarilly have to do everything in order as I seem to have two main parts of the story on the go atm due to me being told to go to 'Place A' but instead wandering around exploring and finding 'Place B' where I discovered lots of interesting going-ons.

So I'm just playing the part of the story that interests me the most atm, not that any of it's boring - far from it - I'm just enjoying the relative feeling of freedom. :D

This game is brilliant, it's all starting to really open up now, I like the fact that you don't necessarilly have to do everything in order as I seem to have two main parts of the story on the go atm due to me being told to go to 'Place A' but instead wandering around exploring and finding 'Place B' where I discovered lots of interesting going-ons.

So I'm just playing the part of the story that interests me the most atm, not that any of it's boring - far from it - I'm just enjoying the relative feeling of freedom. :D

another player caught in the dragon quest web :D

wonder how many nintendo catch in the web :D

another player caught in the dragon quest web :D

It's true... I have indeed been caught in the web... or more specifically the tangleweb damnit! I can't seem to 'switch-off' even when I'm not playing. :p