NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Yeah, I'm afraid I can't remember what level I was. What I do remember, is that it was too hard for just me, but if you take a Priest and have him focus on healing, you should be alright.

By the way, Rez, what classes did you pick?

Eremmmrmrmmr...

Main guy (no choice? Warrior?)

Mage

Theif

Martial Artist person?

I think.

I just hit up the DQVC and they have a Slime themed sale going on. I forked out and got a Slime Shield- it'll save me having to alchemise it. :wink: Also of note is that I got a few new quests (and noticed that I can now accept one of the extra quests) as well as getting a new special guest. Angelo! No idea who he is but he gave me some togs... which aren't that great stat-wise. Still, the good news is that Alena has stuck around! I thought the guests would overwrite each other. :grin:

Angelo is in fact from DQ VIII. I found the togs to be better than what my Warrior had on, so he's wearing them now.

lol, You did the same party format as me Darksnowman, Couldn't help having 3 girls in my team either. (Though I have a loli warrior :P )

Came back from my holiday, round level 35.

Just gone to the town near the volcano to find the legendary warrior.

Getting funds is my only real gripe with this game. SO much experience yet only like 400 gold to show for it and things are real expensive right now.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

I completed it last night!

Regarding the final dungeon, I found the shortcuts were so effective I could get to the final boss, bumping into two or less enemies on the way. I must admit, I did cast "Evac" a lot, and kept saving my game at the inn.

The final boss was difficult. We were at levels 49, 50, 46 and 46 and it was no pushover. I got beaten the first time and then I tried again with different tactics and succeeded. The reason my Hero and Warrior were higher than my Mage and Priest, was because I changed the vocation of the last two in order to get them better Shield skills. They felt underpowered for the fight at level 46, so I'd definitely say the boss should be approached between levels 45-50. In fact, I don't know how you could even reach the boss before you get to level 45 or so, as I didn't actually "grind" at all, not in their "proper" vocations.

Anyway, it was a great game! I don't feel I can write a review until I've given the post-game content a good go, but it's definitely the best RPG for gameplay I've played on the DS. Outstanding.

Eremmmrmrmmr...

Main guy (no choice? Warrior?)

Mage

Theif

Martial Artist person?

I think.

OK, thanks. The Hero is a Minstrel.

I was looking at the instruction manual again today, and I was glad I chose Warrior, Mage and Priest to accompany my Minstrel as, aside from the fact that I loved using them, I noticed they are the only four initial classes who can equip shields.

I think Angelo is from DQVIII. Im sure Grazza will confirm this. :D

Oops, I've got a reputation!

Getting funds is my only real gripe with this game. SO much experience yet only like 400 gold to show for it and things are real expensive right now.

I've just found out you can sell those coins you find - not the Mini Medals, the Gildean Groats, or whatever they're called. Apparently, that's their only purpose, but I can't guarantee that.

I just hit up the DQVC and they have a Slime themed sale going on. I forked out and got a Slime Shield- it'll save me having to alchemise it. :wink: Also of note is that I got a few new quests (and noticed that I can now accept one of the extra quests) as well as getting a new special guest. Angelo! No idea who he is but he gave me some togs... which aren't that great stat-wise. Still, the good news is that Alena has stuck around! I thought the guests would overwrite each other. :grin:

What class were you to get his togs? I've got his jacket and trousers, but not his togs.

What class were you to get his togs? I've got his jacket and trousers, but not his togs.

you must be a Priest

I got the togs and my hero is an Armamentalist. Rest of my squad is Sage, Warrior and Paladin.

you must be a Priest

I got his trousers as a priest.

Then he told me to leave :P

Well I just finished the main story. It took longer than I expected (I actually thought I would have it finished this morning!) but there was a lot more battling to do than I had anticipated. It took me just shy of 58 hours til I finally reached and defeated the man behind the man behind the man behind the man behind the man...

Having switched my Mage for a Paladin, my strategy was all about kicking ass. I used Kabuff now and again but my main tactic was to get stuck in and unload as many Gigaslashes, etc as I could before I took a break to heal.

It was a top game and a great ride. The overall story was probably lacking slightly, but each little vignette was really heartfelt and well thought out. I'm not sure whats next but I'll plug away at the quests and grottoes and mess around with vocations for a while yet. I dare say Port Llaffan could be worth a visit.

Main character was a Minstrel and the others in my party were a Paladin, Warrior and Martial Artist.

lol, You did the same party format as me Darksnowman, Couldn't help having 3 girls in my team either. (Though I have a loli warrior :P )

Came back from my holiday, round level 35.

Just gone to the town near the volcano to find the legendary warrior.

Haha, its a good combination but I switched the Mage for a Paladin to add more fire power to my line-up. :heh:

I think everyone (except killer kirby) would agree with you about money being tight in the game. I know I was in need of money more than I was experience the whole way throughout the game.

Thanks for the answers ^^

I didn't get to read your posts before i actually beat Hootingham-Gore, but I basically just did what you guys wrote lol. I grinded Liquid Metal Slimes in The Bowhole till my levels were around 35. Right now I'm stuck with the final boss, but i reckon I should be fine if I battle some more liquid metal slimes.

I think everyone (except killer kirby) would agree with you about money being tight in the game. I know I was in need of money more than I was experience the whole way throughout the game.

Not moi. I dunno, I didn't really seem to spend all that much, and I never really dedicated much time to 'grinding' during the main quest. I always used alchemy to get most of the best gear, so by the time I got to the later towns, there wasn't much need to part with too much cash.

Frequently depositing money in the Stornway bank doesn't hurt, either.

Tried Armamentalist, Paladin, Warrior, Priest (again), Martial Artist and he still hasn't given me his togs.

Edit: Never mind, I do have the Togs. I thought they were shoes, not the jacket.

Edited by Ike

If you want to earn some quick cash, go to the dry swamp thing in the Djust Dessert. There should be some Gold Golems who drop 505 gold coins each.

So I went treasure hunting earlier and conquered a level 28 dungeon... but only just, I was down to just my magic user and got through it by rebounding all of the bosses attacks, I promptly got the fuck out of there once I'd completed it lol got an accolade for my troubles. :)

Finished the main story the other day, with my party all at around Lv 50.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game, much more than I was expecting to as well. icon14.gif Was worried initially that I wouldn't be able to get into it, (what with me being a bit of an RPG/Dragon Quest newb) but didn't have any problem at all.

I can see this game having some serious playtime still to come too, with all of the extra quests and items to collect etc... I'm now focusing on the Treasure Map aspect. Love the music that plays in the grottos:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Reminds me of A Link To The Past a little bit. :love:

It's a huge shame that this isn't more popular over here though for the Tag Mode, I've tried canvassing quite a few times now but not had any luck. :sad:

They really should have added Wi-Fi functionality to that feature for the western release, oh well. ::shrug:

Anyone done quest 121? Not sure I'm doing it right and just wanted to check.

I'm using miracle slash on a cumulus rex, I think it is. But nothing happened yet.

I'm using miracle slash on a cumulus rex, I think it is. But nothing happened yet.

I've accepted the quest and fought a fair few of the things, but...nothing. I don't know what needs to be done.

Miracle Slash won't work. You need a Miracle or Uber Miracle Sword and attack normally.

If you ever decide to give up and seek some help, use the method within that spoiler, it wont feel as good as if you figured out how to do it by yourself obviously, but I had to resort to an FAQ myself for the quest!

Miracle Slash won't work. You need a Miracle or Uber Miracle Sword and attack normally.

If you ever decide to give up and seek some help, use the method within that spoiler, it wont feel as good as if you figured out how to do it by yourself obviously, but I had to resort to an FAQ myself for the quest!

I've tried that though...it didn't work. Although maybe because of who got the kill.

I'm now focusing on the Treasure Map aspect. Love the music that plays in the grottos:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Reminds me of A Link To The Past a little bit. :love:

Glad to see that you've enjoyed it and are gonna play on for a bit. See, DQ isn't that scary, is it? :heh:

Know what the grotto tune reminds me of? FF IV!

I've tried that though...it didn't work. Although maybe because of who got the kill.

I did it, for got to mention I was using the

Miracle sword at the same time. I guess using Miracle Slash eithe cancelled it out or I was unlucky.

Figures I spent hours fighting for it not to work, tried it last night, first battle I got it. X_X

Also, finally unlocked the Sage. Changing vocations whenever I want for the win!