N-Europe

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

ndreamer

Tips for defeating Darkonium Slimes plz.

Thunder Thrust and Hatchet Man. At my level (approx 60), you have to knock off a lot of HP at once because their healing's so good. Plus, my normal attacks usually miss anyway.

I have to say I'm really struggling to get into this game and haven't played it much - maybe if I did actually play it more, I would, but I just don't feel the urge to.

That's a shame. The main game (not the post-game) is near flawless for a DS RPG, so it's a bit of a bummer if you don't like it. I would recommend concentrating on it a bit more: make a good party and max-out a good weapon each (spears and axes are best, but go for swords whilst your Hero is a still a Minstrel). I can't think of any other tips, really, as I found it so good!

That's a shame. The main game (not the post-game) is near flawless for a DS RPG, so it's a bit of a bummer if you don't like it. I would recommend concentrating on it a bit more: make a good party and max-out a good weapon each (spears and axes are best, but go for swords whilst your Hero is a still a Minstrel). I can't think of any other tips, really, as I found it so good!

I made the unfortunate decision of naming one of my characters after someone... and well... you can imagine what comes next.

And whilst I could go drop them and get a new member, that they will be constantly under leveled compared to everyone else in my team is putting me off doing that.

So I feel like I'm in limbo.

In terms of progress, the last major thing I did was defeat some monster that got sealed into a jar to remove a curse on a nearby city. So not very far really.

If you get rid of a character and bring in someone new, they will not be under leveled for very long at all. They'll catch up quicker than you'd expect and outside of the odd chance 3 higher leveled guys can carry them through tougher areas pretty easily.

Well the other two members of my party are named Sheena and Maxwell - both after the Tales of... characters.

Maybe I should have stuck to the random name generator...

You can always go back to the pub and create a new character.

and yeah like Nolan says, doesn't take too long for them to catch up, just take them to like the final area, or where there are metal slimes and they will be piling on those lvl ups

Now that Dragon Quest V is all done and dusted, I'm back to this monster of a game.

Although I initially hated the way exp is shared due to me wanting to blitz through the new vocations, it's actually worked out pretty well, as it dumps it all on the highest level party member, so I've finally got my first ever level 99 character in a Dragon Quest title and it be my Priest, Labourer.

I would revocate him, but the only benefit of that is wearing other gender's clothing, you get additional benefits if it's your main character so I'l just keep him level 99 and just revocate my main character a lot, as the number of revocations for your main character help a lot in getting higher quality grottoes ;)

After finishing dragon quest IV I started this( I know I should have started V next but I come back to that lol)

SO far I really like what i'm seeing( am I the only one who designed their character exactly like crono?). It has a good storyline. It's gotten mixed reviews. Maybe i'll find out why( wish I could speed up battle and text though)

So far as good. Only 3 hours in though.

They advertised Dragon Quest IX during a Loose Women ad break today, complete with "rad gaming mum" telling her captive audience how the game allows you to go from village to village solving mysteries.

I learnt from young black mother that Mario & Luigi: Bower's Inside Story was a puzzle game. I saw that on TV I did.

Finally unlocked the last vocation, I didn't have a high enough water grotto to complete the quest.

Quite. I still haven't unlocked that class. This is what I've done:

* Levelled everyone to at least 45 in the first 11 classes

* Beaten a Level 60 Grotto (can't get any higher ones yet)

* Defeated the first Legacy Boss

The most challenging Grotto was the Level 49 one, because it had Darkonium Slimes and Octagoons. Although they didn't wipe me out, that was a steep difficulty curve.

Actually, I've got some questions about the Legacy Bosses that I can't find answered in FAQs, so I'd be grateful if someone could help please:

1) If I level the boss up, can I still access the Level 1 version?

2) If I level the boss up, does it give more EXP?

I haven't given him any EXP yet because it's an easy way to get Mini Medals and I don't want to make the fights longer just for a higher drop rate. Also, I can beat the Level 1 version in 4 turns, and I want to see if I can reduce that later, but obviously that's not going to happen if I level him up to 99.

Quite. I still haven't unlocked that class. This is what I've done:

* Levelled everyone to at least 45 in the first 11 classes

* Beaten a Level 60 Grotto (can't get any higher ones yet)

* Defeated the first Legacy Boss

[\quote]

I did it in a level 48 water grotto if that helps. They appeared about level 9.

The most challenging Grotto was the Level 49 one, because it had Darkonium Slimes and Octagoons. Although they didn't wipe me out, that was a steep difficulty curve.

Actually, I've got some questions about the Legacy Bosses that I can't find answered in FAQs, so I'd be grateful if someone could help please:

1) If I level the boss up, can I still access the Level 1 version?

2) If I level the boss up, does it give more EXP?

I haven't given him any EXP yet because it's an easy way to get Mini Medals and I don't want to make the fights longer just for a higher drop rate. Also, I can beat the Level 1 version in 4 turns, and I want to see if I can reduce that later, but obviously that's not going to happen if I level him up to 99.

1) Nope

2) Yes

Your supposed to get better drop rates the higher level they are though, but the drops change so you might not be able to always get mini medals, I don't really know though, only leveled the first one a couple of times.

You find plenty of mini medals in grottos anyway, as well as the Mimic family drop them, so you can actually get 2 if you steal one + one drops/use Itemized Kill.

Thanks Ike. That's strange about the Water Grottoes, as I've beaten ones of about that level, but not bumped into the right enemies.

I've got a Level 72 Grotto to try now. :)

Ah, double checked and it was level 55, sorry :P.

My copy of DQV arrived yesterday!

HNI_0012_DQV.JPG

Edited by Ike

I decided i wanna try to make an Erdricks Shield using alchemy. These are the ingredients i need and how to get em:

Erdrick's shield = Rusty shield x 1 + Glass frit x 9 + Orichalcum x 1

Rusty shield = Agate of evolution x 1 + resurock x 1 + enchanted stone x 1(Quest #049)

Agate of evolution = Sainted soma x 2 + Ethereal stone x 2 + Chronocrystal x 1

Is it really worth using a Chronocrystal and an Orichalcum for this shield or are there better things i can do with em?

Ike, you're mega hardcore getting all the old games!

Is it really worth using a Chronocrystal and an Orichalcum for this shield or are there better things i can do with em?

I think so, yes, if only for the fun of it. My Hero is a Paladin at the moment and I've given him Erdrick's Helm and Erdrick's Sword (can't make the others yet). My policy is to make the special armour out of any "cursed" or "rusty" items I get, just to see what they're like.

My one reservation is that Erdricks' equipment doesn't seem to have any elemental defence, but hey, it's worth it for the fun of it.