NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Ummm Ike, you have 2 DQV SNES copies 0_o confused

That's odd...the first picture wasn't DQV the other day, but now it is.

I think so, yes, if only for the fun of it. My Hero is a Paladin at the moment and I've given him Erdrick's Helm and Erdrick's Sword (can't make the others yet). My policy is to make the special armour out of any "cursed" or "rusty" items I get, just to see what they're like.

My one reservation is that Erdricks' equipment doesn't seem to have any elemental defence, but hey, it's worth it for the fun of it.

Well, you don't really have an excuse not to, at least with the rusty gear(as they suck) :P I made a Great Helm out of the Hades Helm and pretty satisfied. It fits perfectly for my Gladiator and i think Erdrick's gear will do too :D

Well, you don't really have an excuse not to, at least with the rusty gear(as they suck) :P I made a Great Helm out of the Hades Helm and pretty satisfied. It fits perfectly for my Gladiator and i think Erdrick's gear will do too :D

I did make the Great Helm, but I don't use it as I'm pretty sure the Minotaur Helm is better. This is my line-up for Hero and No.2 at the moment:

Paladin - Erdrick's Helm, Sacrosanct Armour

Gladiator - Minotaur Helm, Gigante Armour

It feels right, because Hero is the only one with "Egg On", so my Hero Paladin needs top class defence, whereas my Gladiator is the main attacker.

Oh, I completed the Level 72 Grotto and received... a Level 55 map. Groan!

Ike, you're mega hardcore getting all the old games!

Haha, I'll be picking up more soon bought too much recently x_x.

Ummm Ike, you have 2 DQV SNES copies 0_o confused

Oops, I must've overwritten the old picture. Used different DS's so they ended up with the same file name (first pic is DQI).

Edit: fixed it.

I'd make the Erdrick equipment, it looks cool.

Edited by Ike

Good online shopping today. I bought Saint's Ashes and a Ruinous Shield, so I can make a 2nd Goddess Shield.

Ok....so will I enjoy this?! Let me explain played and completed Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and loved it... but played Dragon Quest Chapters of the Chosen and couldn't get into...

Also know it probably doesn't but does it support the DSi's WPA online connectivity as isn't online a pretty big part of the game? I don't have WEP on my router!

Ok....so will I enjoy this?! Let me explain played and completed Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and loved it... but played Dragon Quest Chapters of the Chosen and couldn't get into...

The honest answer is that it has the same feel as Chapters of the Chosen, in terms of villages, shops etc, but it has the far superior gameplay of Dragon Quest VIII (Journey of the Cursed King). In fact, it's even more developed.

It isn't as immersive as Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, nor are the graphics or music as good, but on the other hand, the RPG gameplay is unbeatable. It's not as complicated as the monster collecting gameplay of DQM, but it has just as much longevity.

Also know it probably doesn't but does it support the DSi's WPA online connectivity as isn't online a pretty big part of the game? I don't have WEP on my router!

Sorry, I don't know what WPA or WEP are. You can't actually play this game online - I must admit though, whilst I could do without the extra Quests, the online shopping is a bonus.

I love this game. My party and I are getting on well with each other so things have been going smoothly so far. Think i've got a good enough class balance so far, don't die often or at all. Well, till I went in a grotto. Did alright till I got owned.

Had some fun yesterday experimenting with different vocations about and levelling them up to get a feel for them.

Sorry, I don't know what WPA or WEP are. You can't actually play this game online - I must admit though, whilst I could do without the extra Quests, the online shopping is a bonus.

Wireless encryption/security protocols.

No, it won't work with WPA though. Multiplayer is only local though and so far the DLC isn't that great, but the online store that changes daily is fantastic.

If you're really interested in getting the online though, look into USB wifi adapters.

OK, I got my Armamentalist up to level 99 last night, which is great, but I'm disappointed she still gets EXP from battles (considering she doesn't need it). I thought it'd be shared out between the remaining three.

Still no Metal King Slimes!

Finally i'm done with making the Erdricks Shield! And it sure does boost the defence of my hero(minstrel, turns out gladiators can't equip shields, lol).

HOLY FUCKING SHIT BEST WEEK OF DQIX EVAR!!!!

Nera is the new guest, you get the quest where

you can have sellma in your party once done

and most important of all....DRAGON QUEST III THEME FOR BUYING!!!!!! *faints*

Finally i'm done with making the Erdricks Shield! And it sure does boost the defence of my hero(minstrel, turns out gladiators can't equip shields, lol).

You've got this far without maxing-out everyone's Shield skill? :heh: Just turn them into a vocation they're Level 1 at, defeat Liquid Metal Slimes in the Bowhole until you're all Level 38, then pour all 100 points into Shields and they become Omnivocational. Doesn't take much time at all.

Has anyone done many revocations yet?

I'm getting to the stage where I will be able to revocate my Paladin, Gladiator, Armamentalist and Sage. The only trouble is, they are basically the vocations I intended to use as my main party, in boss fights etc.

What I'm getting at is this: If there's a character I intend to be a Gladiator, should I revocate him as a Gladiator or build him up to Level 99 in a vocation not suited to his purpose (eg. Mage) and then revocate him as that?

hmmm how traditional JRPG is this? Will I be left wandering around villiages not having a clue what to do and unable to save whenever I want...

unable to save whenever I want...

The saving really isn't an issue.

If you get killed by an enemy, you don't lose any progress/items/equipment or whatever. You just go back to the last church and lose half your cash. And none of the dungeons are that long that makes going back through dungeons annoying.

If you want to just come off the game at any point, you can do. There's a quick save option in the 'Misc' section of the menu (among a few other things which I personally think should have been highlighted a bit clearer for those who wouldn't look).

and most important of all....DRAGON QUEST III THEME FOR BUYING!!!!!! *faints*

:o Must. Buy. Theme.

Has anyone done many revocations yet?

I'm getting to the stage where I will be able to revocate my Paladin, Gladiator, Armamentalist and Sage. The only trouble is, they are basically the vocations I intended to use as my main party, in boss fights etc.

What I'm getting at is this: If there's a character I intend to be a Gladiator, should I revocate him as a Gladiator or build him up to Level 99 in a vocation not suited to his purpose (eg. Mage) and then revocate him as that?

I'd recommend only building up vocations with similar stats

for example; Mage, Priest and Sage since they are all similar and will benefit more from the boost in magic/MP/etc. Not much point in leveling them as a Mage if their main vocation is a Gladiator since they are physical orientated. The exception is probably the Hero since you get accolades.

hmmm how traditional JRPG is this? Will I be left wandering around villiages not having a clue what to do and unable to save whenever I want...

Actually, this game is particularly good in that area. I simply did not get stuck once.

Quick Saves are very useful, but I didn't need them until the longer Grottoes (post-game). The main game dungeons are well-designed, with clever shortcuts. If you take a Magic Water to replenish your healer's MP, there shouldn't be a problem.

I've been honest about this game about how the graphics, music and atmosphere aren't all that, but trust me, the gameplay is flawless. You can't go wrong.

:o Must. Buy. Theme.

When you two say theme, you don't mean a theme tune, do you? Just sets of clothes?

I'd recommend only building up vocations with similar stats

for example; Mage, Priest and Sage since they are all similar and will benefit more from the boost in magic/MP/etc. Not much point in leveling them as a Mage if their main vocation is a Gladiator since they are physical orientated. The exception is probably the Hero since you get accolades.

Ah, OK, thanks. Thankfully I've been doing that. Whilst I'm waiting for my Paladin to turn 99, I turned my Gladiator into a Warrior, my Armamentalist into a Mage and my Sage into a Priest (which is what they were before I unlocked the "better" vocations).

When you two say theme, you don't mean a theme tune, do you? Just sets of clothes?

I wasn't sure what Killer Kirby meant, but it's equipment from DQIII.

I also appear to be out of money. Back to Gold Golem hunting for me.

Curious to know what everyone's game records are like at this point.

Time: 152hr 03m

Battle Victories: 3747

Times Alchemy Performed: 427

Accolades Earned: 82

Quests Completed: 100

Grottoes Completed: 74

Guests Canvassed: 0

Defeated Monster List Completion: 79%

Wardrobe Completion: 50%

Item List Completion: 69%

Alchenomicon Completion: 54%

My first completion title was 'Complete Potty'

Time: 197:21

Battle Victories: 5629

Times Alchemy Performed: 360

Accolades Earnt: 184

Quests Completed: 83

Grottoes Completed: 51

Guests Canvassed: 0

Defeated Monster List Completion: 81%

Wardrobe Completion: 43%

Item List Completion: 68%

Alchenomicon Completion: 44%

First Completion: "Exterminator"

My stats:

dq1nr.jpgdq2y.jpg

:laughing::

dq3x.jpg

Current team:

dq4e.jpg

Alchenomicon Completion: 54%

Alchenomicon Completion: 44%

Hmm... looks like I need to get kraking with the alchemy. :heh: Do you guys only use recipes, or do you experiment with random ingredients too? :hmm:

I got a great treasure map the other day, Lv.82! And best of all it contains Metal King Slimes! :cool: It's just annoying that they're such bloody cowards. :mad:

Hmm... looks like I need to get kraking with the alchemy. :heh: Do you guys only use recipes, or do you experiment with random ingredients too? :hmm:

Experimenting without knowing what you're doing is fruitless, unfortunately, unless you're really really lucky. I mostly only ever use recipes I've found on bookshelves in the game world - and can pretty safely say I've probably found them all those now - but I must confess to using other recipes posted on here and the internets. Many of the better recipes can only be unlocked after canvassing guests. Most of us westerners have little other choice than to seek the help of GameFAQs if we want to complete many of the game's quests...