NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

I've gotten 3 emails about the event, 2 from Nintendo and 1 from Square Enix, they're really pushing it out, apart from kinda leaving it to last minute and having limited selection.

Anyway, beat Atlas using Zam and completed a quest which got my the Twocus Pocus book which lets me cast 2 spells in one turn! Very useful, though it casts the same spell twice, you can't choose 2 different spells.

Also got a Metal Slime Sword from a grotto!

Anyway, beat Atlas using Zam and completed a quest which got my the Twocus Pocus book which lets me cast 2 spells in one turn! Very useful, though it casts the same spell twice, you can't choose 2 different spells.
Yeah, it's a very handy feature, especially cool for attacking moves as you can get the 2x combo from it.

I like using Twocus Pocus Multi-heals too. :grin:

Speaking of the combo system, I've been experimenting with it recently and it's possible to get some pretty awesome damage bonuses. I discovered that kitting out my entire team with swords and having them all Falcon Slash to be particularly effective. icon14.gif With that technique I can take out Equinox in a single turn and Lv.30 Baramos in 4! :cool:

It gets even more ridiculous when Tension Boosts and Critical Hits come into play. :wink:

Completely destroying Equinox really makes me laugh actually, as I remember when I first battled him thinking "damn this is difficult!", but now he doesn't even get a chance to attack. :laughing:

I'm very impressed/jealous of your team, RedShell. Interesting that you stuck with Minstrel. Out of interest, why haven't you alchemised all your Metal Slime equipment into Metal King? The rarest ingredients it takes are Orichalcum and Slime Crowns, and I've got loads of that, personally, but not the Metal Slime equipment!

Also, how many times have you Revocated in your main class?

I do wonder if I'm having lower than average luck with this game, because all I keep getting are Mini Medals, even when I know I've got a Rank 9 chest. That reminds me, if you save up 99 Mini Medals, spend them, as you can't carry any more and it will waste them.

Does anyone feel Level-5 were too mean with the 2% boss drops? I mean, 2%! Even with average luck, you'd have to fight each one 50 times. Also, getting the specific Metal Slime item you want is a 1% chance.

Oh well, I've Revocated 4 times now. Onwards and upwards.

I'm very impressed/jealous of your team, RedShell. Interesting that you stuck with Minstrel.
Cheers. :)

Not sure why I stuck with Minstrel for my main character, didn't give it much thought really. :hehe:

Out of interest, why haven't you alchemised all your Metal Slime equipment into Metal King? The rarest ingredients it takes are Orichalcum and Slime Crowns, and I've got loads of that, personally, but not the Metal Slime equipment!
It's definetly not down to a lack of Orichalcum that's for sure, got loads of the stuff! It's actually a lack of Slime Crowns. I know they're pretty easy to obtain with Half-Inch etc... but I just haven't been bothered to go collecting any.

Also, how many times have you Revocated in your main class?
Just the +5 on my Minstrel. The rest of my revocations were split between the other characters to get all of the reward items, but only +1 for each of those.

So in total (across all characters) I've revocated 16 times! :o

Does anyone feel Level-5 were too mean with the 2% boss drops? I mean, 2%! Even with average luck, you'd have to fight each one 50 times. Also, getting the specific Metal Slime item you want is a 1% chance.
Maybe a bit yeah, but I actually like how there are stupidly rare things to collect in this game. It makes finally finding them all the more satisfying.

I'm working on collecting more Silver Orbs at the moment, I really want to have another go at the Alchemiracle for the 5 star sword. Don't think I'm going to be patient enough to wait for any orange loading screen slimes again though. :grin:

Went to the event earlier and got me a pretty cool Killing Machine figure alone with the Estark map.

Went to the event earlier and got me a pretty cool Killing Machine figure alone with the Estark map.
Cool. icon14.gif

What about tag mode, how many guests did you get?

Cool. icon14.gif

What about tag mode, how many guests did you get?

I only got a couple of folk since I ended up going in a bit late. Should've really went in a bit earlier to catch more folk when it was a bit busier :heh:

I don't know if I can be arsed going to the event tomorrow. The only thing I'd get out of it is possibly picking up a few tags, seeing as I loathe the idea of mingling with other gamers. Maybe I'll just put it on canvassing mode and then wander about HMV inconspicuously...

Wooooo! :yay:

Look what I got today :hehe::

hypernova.jpg

The most powerful weapon (of any class) in the game, as far as I'm aware. :awesome:

So yeah, it was second time lucky with the alchemiracle.

I had an orange/blue/blue loading screen slime combination by the way.

The chance according to Krak Pot was still only 20% though! I'm amazed I got it on my second go. :o

Anyway, as awesome as it is to finally have the Hypernova Sword, I am slightly disappointed by the fact that apart from the additional attack power, the special effect of the sword (lowering enemy defence) seems to be identical to how it was on the Supernova, Nebula and Stardust versions.

I really thought that with the Hypernova sword you'd always get the defence lowering effect without fail, but unfortunately that's not the case and it's still a random thing. ::shrug:

But even so, well happy with it. :)

Oh, didn't know they were giving out figures, how big is it?

Wooooo! :yay:

Look what I got today :hehe::

Nice! Congrats.

Out of interest if you fail the Alchamiracle (or whatever it's called), can you use the item to reverse the alchemy to get the materials back and try again?

Got my Hero and Warrior upto level 99 finally as a Minstrel and Warrior respectively. Revocated my Warrior, not going to revocate my Hero yet. What benefits does revocating give other than more skills points?

Out of interest if you fail the Alchamiracle (or whatever it's called), can you use the item to reverse the alchemy to get the materials back and try again?
I think if you use a Reset Stone you can get back the lower rank version yeah, I would have done that (if it had failed :heh:) as I already had a Supernova Sword. Not sure if you get the Orbs/Agate of evolutions back though, but I doubt it.

What benefits does revocating give other than more skills points?
The main thing is to boost your luck, and it certainly does effect it quite a bit. I'm constantly finding great treasure in grottos now, getting items from the legacy bosses, etc... :awesome:

Haha! Well done, RedShell. I'm not too jealous though, as I always put defence before offence, so I mainly want the Grotto boss drops (which are all armour etc). I'd be happy just to get the bloomin' weapons from Rank 10 chests, let alone the ultimate versions of them!

(Walks away grumbling...)

You can use a Reset Stone (bought from the Mini Medal tent), but I doubt it gives you back all the materials, just the weapon/armour. I wouldn't do it personally (unless I had loads of the Legacy boss Orbs) as, let's say you were lucky enough to get four of any specific item, that'd still be pretty awesome. I'd alchemise them all into the best "guaranteed" version, but would be happy with that. I think.

Got my Hero and Warrior upto level 99 finally as a Minstrel and Warrior respectively. Revocated my Warrior, not going to revocate my Hero yet. What benefits does revocating give other than more skills points?

Better quality Grottoes, ie. more chances of Metal King Slimes and Platinum King Jewels, as well as Rank 9 and 10 chests so, like me, you can get frustrated when they give you a Mini Medal!

My advice to you is wait until you find a Grotto that is a really good for Metal King Slimes. You might think Platinum King Jewels would be better, but although I've got a few Grottoes with them in, they're all down on the 13th floor and accompanied by very tough enemies (the droids).

Ideally, find a water Grotto (mine is "Silver Waterway level 65" or something like that). They're on the 5th-8th floors, and the 7th floor has a really good corridor that I can run up and down, avoiding the non-MKS enemies. Then you can revocate safe in the knowledge it won't be too difficult to get to level 99 again.

Another tip is to grind everyone starting from level 1, then the EXP distribution will be more equal. Also, you might like to have a "Grotto Team" in case you tire of grinding. Three Gladiators and a Sage works well, whereas my "true" team is Paladin, Gladiator, Gladiator/Sage, Priest.

Ah, I guess in that case I'll revocate my Hero. The Grotto I use has MKS around floor 13, but it's not that hard to reach. Haven't got any good water ones yet.

Are you going to stick to Minstrel, Ike? It doesn't seem to have harmed RedShell in the luck stakes! I'd suggest a Gladiator over a Warrior for your 2nd character, as they have higher Deftness and Attack, but hey, what do I know? I'm not exactly having much luck with the drops. :heh:

I'd be happy just to get the bloomin' weapons from Rank 10 chests, let alone the ultimate versions of them!
Heheh... Just keep on hunting, trust me they'll show up eventually. You'll always come across them when you least expect it, so try not to anticipate anything when opening the treasure chests. ;)

so, like me, you can get frustrated when they give you a Mini Medal!
You know what's more frustrating than that though? (And surely this has happened to you, and anyone that has spent some time hunting treasure) When you go to open a chest and an enemy appears right on top of it the moment you open the lid, causing a battle to start, meaning you don't see which item you just collected! :shakehead

That has to be the most infuriating thing in the entire game I reckon.

My advice to you is wait until you find a Grotto that is a really good for Metal King Slimes. You might think Platinum King Jewels would be better, but although I've got a few Grottoes with them in, they're all down on the 13th floor and accompanied by very tough enemies (the droids).

Ideally, find a water Grotto (mine is "Silver Waterway level 65" or something like that). They're on the 5th-8th floors, and the 7th floor has a really good corridor that I can run up and down, avoiding the non-MKS enemies. Then you can revocate safe in the knowledge it won't be too difficult to get to level 99 again.

Another tip is to grind everyone starting from level 1, then the EXP distribution will be more equal. Also, you might like to have a "Grotto Team" in case you tire of grinding. Three Gladiators and a Sage works well, whereas my "true" team is Paladin, Gladiator, Gladiator/Sage, Priest.

Good advice. icon14.gif

One thing I found out about recently (after 16 revocations :indeed:) is that the Elevating Shoes (made by alchemizing Depressing Shoes and a Lucky Pendant) give any character wearing them an EXP boost! Don't think it's a huge amount, but still a nice little extra.

If I attempt any more revocations, I'm definitely going to equip a pair while levelling up.

You know what's more frustrating than that though? (And surely this has happened to you, and anyone that has spent some time hunting treasure) When you go to open a chest and an enemy appears right on top of it the moment you open the lid, causing a battle to start, meaning you don't see which item you just collected! :shakehead

Argh, yes, so many times! You have to scroll though the last page of all your items to see if it was anything good like Metal Slime equipment! It's got to the point where I check there are no monsters around (or defeat them), then run to the chest!

Oh, didn't know they were giving out figures, how big is it?

The Killing Machine I got is around 11cm tall. So it's a pretty decent size for a free figure actually. Wasn't expecting anything from it.

The Killing Machine I got is around 11cm tall. So it's a pretty decent size for a free figure actually. Wasn't expecting anything from it.

Whoah, that's big for a freebie!

Oh, Ike, I forgot to say, there are Revocation rewards, which take the form if equippable accessories. You can only get each once.

Warrior[/b]: +20 attack

Priest: +50 magic mending

Mage: +50 magic might

Martial artist: +120 agility

Thief: Increases stealing success rate

Minstrel: Lets you equip opposite gender items

Gladiator: Increases critical hit chance

Paladin: +20 defence

Armamentalist: Increases coup de grace chance

Ranger: +100 deftness

Sage: +60 max MP

Luminary: Increases charm

The best are the Martial Artist's, the Ranger's, the Thief's, the Gladiator's and the Armamentalist's. The others aren't really worth not wearing a Meteorite Bracer or Elfin Charm etc for.

Are you going to stick to Minstrel, Ike? It doesn't seem to have harmed RedShell in the luck stakes! I'd suggest a Gladiator over a Warrior for your 2nd character, as they have higher Deftness and Attack, but hey, what do I know? I'm not exactly having much luck with the drops. :heh:

Not sure, going to level him up as a Luminary once I releveled him as a Minstrel, so I'll have a play around to see which is better. I was thinking about making my Warrior into a Paladin though, will probably level him as a Gladiator as well to get their stat bonuses.

Yeah, that's happened to me alot as well. Very annoying. Might have got something good and I wouldn't have known :P

That's really good for a freebie, they sell it for about £10 - £18-ish, if I remember right (Can't check the SE Shop site is down. Again.)

Whoah, that's big for a freebie!

Oh, Ike, I forgot to say, there are Revocation rewards, which take the form if equippable accessories. You can only get each once.

Warrior[/b]: +20 attack

Priest: +50 magic mending

Mage: +50 magic might

Martial artist: +120 agility

Thief: Increases stealing success rate

Minstrel: Lets you equip opposite gender items

Gladiator: Increases critical hit chance

Paladin: +20 defence

Armamentalist: Increases coup de grace chance

Ranger: +100 deftness

Sage: +60 max MP

Luminary: Increases charm

The best are the Martial Artist's, the Ranger's, the Thief's, the Gladiator's and the Armamentalist's. The others aren't really worth not wearing a Meteorite Bracer or Elfin Charm etc for.

Yeah got the Minstrel's and Warrior's, couldn't find them at first but then I found them in the accessories screen X_X. Gave the Warrior Medal to my... Warrior so that's a nice boost to his attack.

Edited by Ike

Not sure, going to level him up as a Luminary once I releveled him as a Minstrel, so I'll have a play around to see which is better. I was thinking about making my Warrior into a Paladin though, will probably level him as a Gladiator as well to get their stat bonuses.

Bear in mind though that the better-quality Grottoes are calculated by how many times you've Revocated in one class. So, once you've got all your Revocation Medals (assuming you want all 12), it'd be a good idea to choose a favourite class for your Hero and aim towards Revocating again.

Personally, I've got a Paladin +4 at the moment.

This weeks special guest is

king Trode!

Also, my copy of DQVI finally showed up, only took nearly 4 weeks to show up :o

So, now got a Paladin +5, been doing Grottoes and I haven't received anything good from chests (or bosses) since last time, apart from a Dangerous Bustier so I could complete the Quest related to it (I alchemised my first into a Divine Bustier).

However, a smile was brought to my face just now when I was mucking about with some Quests and received a Metal Slime Shield. It was quickly alchemised into a Metal King Shield, as Oricalcum and Slime Crowns are items I do have plenty of!

If you want the Metal Slime Shield and Metal Slime Helm, check out these Quests:

# 136 (Metal Slime Shield)

Bookcase atop mountain in Hermany

# 142 (Metal Slime Helm)

Cave on Slime Hill near Angel Falls

# 165 (Metal Slime Sword)

Well in Angel Falls

We have to wait until Feb 25, 2011 for this one

Thanks to Roto Arel & Zaraf on GameFAQs

Anyway, that's made it a lot more fun for me.

If I'm lucky enough to get the Metal Slime shoes, should I give them to the girl who wants them for a Quest? Do you know what the Venus' Tear actually does? Personally, I'd want to alchemise them into the best version, but I'd trade them in if the Venus Tear improved my chances of getting more items.

Oh yes, I've got the Vesta Gauntlets as well!

Turned the DS on 10 minutes before the new Steve Coogan programme. There was one orange Slime, so I kept running through the first Grotto and defeating Equinox. After 10 or so times (about 40 minutes), I got the Gauntlets!

The only drawback is they don't boost Deftness (which is what I want from gauntlets and gloves) and also, every time you beat a boss you get a new map, so I'm eventually going to have to discard some without knowing what they are. But still, very satisfying!

So, now got a Paladin +5, been doing Grottoes and I haven't received anything good from chests (or bosses) since last time, apart from a Dangerous Bustier so I could complete the Quest related to it (I alchemised my first into a Divine Bustier).

Yeah, done that quest a week or 2 back, which I started ages ago. Was great to finally finish it.

Anyway, that's made it a lot more fun for me.

If I'm lucky enough to get the Metal Slime shoes, should I give them to the girl who wants them for a Quest? Do you know what the Venus' Tear actually does? Personally, I'd want to alchemise them into the best version, but I'd trade them in if the Venus Tear improved my chances of getting more items.

Not sure exactly, but judging by the item description, it sounds like it increases the chance of an enemy being enthralled with the character.

Oh yes, I've got the Vesta Gauntlets as well!

The only drawback is they don't boost Deftness (which is what I want from gauntlets and gloves) and also, every time you beat a boss you get a new map, so I'm eventually going to have to discard some without knowing what they are. But still, very satisfying!

I have the gaunlets as well, gave them to my Warrior since he doesn't really need deftness.

So I got my Minstrel and Warrior back upto level 70-ish, but they feel weaker than what they used to be, even at about the same level for some reason. Changed my Thief and Sage into a Ranger and Priest to level them up a bit. My Thief hit level 99 but I haven't revocated yet.

Not sure exactly, but judging by the item description, it sounds like it increases the chance of an enemy being enthralled with the character.

OK, thanks. I think I'll alchemise them into Metal King Boots - can't resist!

So I got my Minstrel and Warrior back upto level 70-ish, but they feel weaker than what they used to be, even at about the same level for some reason. Changed my Thief and Sage into a Ranger and Priest to level them up a bit. My Thief hit level 99 but I haven't revocated yet.

That's strange. Don't worry, you can feel the strength when you've maxed-out all the traits. Personally, I've now maxed-out every single trait for every character, so I can do all the Quests without wondering if I've got the abilities. Think I'll concentrate on those for a while.

Had a bit of a windfall yesterday, literally fought Nemean 40-60 times until he dropped another pair of Invincible Trousers. I think I'm going to be happy if I can get just one of each 2% drop!

My current total:

Rank 9 Equipment

Metal King Helm

Metal King Armour

Metal King Shield x2

Rank 10 Equipment

Dragonlord Claws x2 (bought them)

Vesta Gauntlets

Invincible Trousers x2

PS - Was nice to see King Trode.

At last, the Halloween sale is over! It's now a Royal sale. Keep an eye out for the Pallium Regale - I bought one today and it's actually better (higher defence) than the Tropotoga (which is a 2% drop I don't yet have), albeit not the alchemised version.