NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

ARGGH. I'm at the end of my tether. I've been trouncing round the bottom level of this same watery grotto for about three hours now doing nothing but killing Bling Badgers to try and complete Quest #42. 67 defeated and still not the drop I'm looking for :shakehead

I see. That must be why getting the Hypernova Sword was relatively simple for me then. You see I spent some time collecting seeds of strength a while back using this technique:

Very interesting. I want to get my Paladin's strength up to 999 so (hopefully) more monsters will run away from us in Grottoes. Is there a particular reason you use those special moves, Clap Trap and Wolf Whistle, for this task?

ARGGH. I'm at the end of my tether. I've been trouncing round the bottom level of this same watery grotto for about three hours now doing nothing but killing Bling Badgers to try and complete Quest #42. 67 defeated and still not the drop I'm looking for :shakehead

That's pretty harsh. :(

I have to say, the more tedious Quests let this game down. Thankfully, I've done all the "normal" ones now (apart from Runny Bunny) and am onto the DLC Quests, which are better as they're not so tedious and they have little cutscenes.

Anyway, here's my weekend report:

I've now got six unique Legacy Boss maps, so that's nice. One of them is rock hard even at Level 2! It's not that I can't beat him, but what's he going to be like at Level 99? Whatever your Reslience, a critical hit from one of these bosses is going to knock you out, so I'm going to have my "Stealing team" (four Rangers) try and get as many Seeds of Life as possible from Metal Slimes.

As well as HP, evasion is going to be important, as well as someone or something that can cast "Insulatle". At the moment, I'm not sure whether I'm going to equip everyone for Deftness (with Apprentice's Gloves, Medal of Freedom etc) or equip them with "better" armour and use Thunder Thrust/Hatchet Man. For evasion, it might be worth using classes that can equip the most evasive shoes (the upgraded version of Sensible Sandals), as well as the not-to-be-underestimated Lucky Charm accesory.

I did the Quest where you have to defeat Nemean with the weakest staff. As I was doing it I said "There's a 2% chance of him dropping Invincible Trousers as well", and then... he did! So, my three males are kitted out with them. I did a few Grottoes last night, getting some high-rank chests which gave me duplicates of Metal Slime Armour and the Metal Slime Sword (I want the Sollerets, and an extra Helm would be nice too).

Unfortunately an enemy cast "Thwack" and all four of us were wiped out. Invincible Trousers? My ass! ;)

Edited by Grazza

Well I didn't realise that super rare shoes were part of this, they didn't show up on my game today. :hmm: Will definitely keep my eyes peeled now though.

I got a pair of Metal slime sollerets today, which is my second pair from the DQVC (got one from last weeks sale).

I've now got six unique Legacy Boss maps, so that's nice. One of them is rock hard even at Level 2! It's not that I can't beat him, but what's he going to be like at Level 99? Whatever your Reslience, a critical hit from one of these bosses is going to knock you out, so I'm going to have my "Stealing team" (four Rangers) try and get as many Seeds of Life as possible from Metal Slimes.

I got Malroth's Map and he was really tough, couldn't beat him and he's level 1! Got Estark's Map today after doing the quest involving

Santa!

Haven't tried fight Estark yet though.

I've been getting loads of rubbish maps lately, got a level 75 map that sounded good but it wasn't :( Although I beat Atlas today and got both of his rare drops in one battle! He dropped his Tropotoga in a chest and my Thief stole his hammer.

Since I've been getting some bad grotto map, I decided to do some quest instead and completed loads of them, did some of the DLC quests involving Stella and Sterling, those were very interesting quests.

I got a pair of Metal slime sollerets today, which is my second pair from the DQVC (got one from last weeks sale).

Oh, superb, I'd forgotten to check that today - thanks very much. I honestly hadn't made the connection that Sollerets were shoes and this is a Footwear sale. They weren't there today, but hopefully I'll get them before Friday. Incidentally, the Metal Slime sale kept offering me Shield after Shield (about four), and I don't think the Helm or Spear became available.

I hope the next handheld Dragon Quest allows you to share and swap items online, because I've got quite a few items I'd be happy to give away.

I got Malroth's Map and he was really tough, couldn't beat him and he's level 1! Got Estark's Map today after doing the quest involving

Ooh, haven't tried Malroth yet. Incidentally, Estark was the one I was referring to when I said I'd fought one that was hard at Level 2.

Very interesting. I want to get my Paladin's strength up to 999 so (hopefully) more monsters will run away from us in Grottoes. Is there a particular reason you use those special moves, Clap Trap and Wolf Whistle, for this task?
You have to use those moves to trigger the drop. Not sure exactly why, but it definitely works. :smile:

How the hell someone figured this stuff out in the first place I'll never know.

Anyway, you can read all about it here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/faqs/60965

Unfortunately an enemy cast "Thwack" and all four of us were wiped out. Invincible Trousers? My ass! ;)
Yeah, what's up with that? It's the same with the Eternity Trousers, the description says that they protect the wearer from sleep, paralysis, death spells etc... but they blatantly don't! Or at least not all the time. :blank:

I find most of the rare items to be a bit disappointing actually, you'd think after all the trouble you go through to get them that they'd be a bit more useful. ::shrug: I'm mean the Hypernova sword should always lower the enemies defence, not just occasionally. And the 4 star+ trousers should always protect against spells.

Also, according to what I can find out online, even the best shield in the game still only gives you a 10% block chance!

I wasn't expecting the 5 star shield to always block, but 50% would have been nice.

I got the Hero's Boots yesterday! :yay:

I hope the next handheld Dragon Quest allows you to share and swap items online, because I've got quite a few items I'd be happy to give away.
That would be awesome. Dragon Quest meets Animal Crossing. icon14.gif

I find most of the rare items to be a bit disappointing actually, you'd think after all the trouble you go through to get them that they'd be a bit more useful. ::shrug: I'm mean the Hypernova sword should always lower the enemies defence, not just occasionally. And the 4 star+ trousers should always protect against spells.

Yeah, the Metal King and Erdrick's equipment certainly give the Legacy Boss drops a run for their money. It means you can't dress for fashion if you want the best protection. Something as far back as the Ethereal Gloves, for example, give better elemental protection than any other. The Vesta Gauntlets and Hero's Boots have the least reason to equip them instead of other items, in my opinion.

I think, as a rule, my Hero will have the Erdrick's equipment, my No.2 the Metal King and my No.3 the "Victorious", though I will mix and match. I'd love to get the best robe for my healer.

The element- and spell-protection is done as a percentage, eg. -25% means you take 25% less damage. This page is a brilliant guide to it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/faqs/60936

Also, according to what I can find out online, even the best shield in the game still only gives you a 10% block chance!

Yes, but that's 16% with all your Shield bonuses. Erdrick's gives me a 15% block chance, for instance.

That would be awesome. Dragon Quest meets Animal Crossing. icon14.gif

I'm in! :)

I'm currently on a mission to get my minstrel to +10 Revocations (Grazza's post about reaching +10 with his paladin has motivated me :D), I'm up to +7 so far.

Have pretty much perfected the levelling up technique though, I reckon if I had access to an all MKS grotto I could go from Lv.1 to Lv.99 in like 20 minutes! :cool:

I just love seeing this:

dqixlvup.jpg

And yes that is a Poker Spear you can see there, Grazza. :wink:

I'm currently on a mission to get my minstrel to +10 Revocations (Grazza's post about reaching +10 with his paladin has motivated me :D), I'm up to +7 so far.

Have pretty much perfected the levelling up technique though, I reckon if I had access to an all MKS grotto I could go from Lv.1 to Lv.99 in like 20 minutes! :cool:

Yes, it would be a dream to have one of those.

Personally, I'm trying to get everyone to Level 99 in everything, to help my Alchemiracles. Following on from the list I posted, I do believe these classes are the best for these specific traits:

Magical Might - Mage

Magical Mending - Priest

Agility - Martial Artist

Deftness - Ranger

Resilience - Warrior

Strength - Gladiator

Charm - Luminary

...Though I could be wrong. It's interesting that not all of them are the "Prestige" classes. Sage, for example, is a blend of Priest and Mage, but not as extreme as either of them in terms of Might or Mending. The Paladin is a blend of Warrior and Priest, and thus does not have the Reslience of a pure Warrior.

I just love seeing this:

dqixlvup.jpg

And yes that is a Poker Spear you can see there, Grazza. :wink:

Grr...!

Finally got a really good map, starts with C rank monsters and ends on S rank! Gem Slimes and Platinum Jewel Slimes in one map! Got another map from that grotto which is also an S rank map and had Greynarl as the boss.

Kerplunk is literally a lifesaver. Paladins are amazing.

Got another map from that grotto which is also an S rank map and had Greynarl as the boss.

Deleting my one Grotto with him in was rather silly of me!

Kerplunk is literally a lifesaver. Paladins are amazing.

Indeed. I would recommend everyone gets to level 99 at least once with one, twice if you want the Revocation medal.

It's that time again where I chuck 3 Orbs and 3 Agates into the Alchemy pot, this time to upgrade my Immortal Trousers. This ridiculous outfit gives me a Magical Might of 887. How humiliating!

mageoutfit.jpg

infinitytrousers.jpg

But it's worth it. :)

infinitytrousers.jpg

But it's worth it. :)

Now it's my turn to say Grrr! :heh:

Hehehe, well done though. icon14.gif

I'm up to +9 revocations... nearly there. :hehe:

Oh, and I didn't just make this account to post this, I'm here reading most posts every day, just never posting.

This is likely not the place for this, so don't ban me, just delete the post as I mean no offense.

I'm selling the PAL version of this (with slime-stack keyring GAME.CO.UK special edition) at Amazon.

On it are the Japanese special map packs traded to it from my bro's less than legal copy (ie ROM), and also ALL the extra quests that got brought over from having joined his game. I'm just bored of this game and thought someone who was looking for this extra stuff and couldn't get it elswhere might want first chance.

Now it's my turn to say Grrr! :heh:

Hehehe, well done though. icon14.gif

I'm up to +9 revocations... nearly there. :hehe:

LOL, keep going!

What's your best Grotto like? Mine is level 98, has two Rank 9 chests and one Rank 10, with Tyrannosaurus Wrecks at the end (which is one I really want the drop from). I kept playing though it last night and got a spare Metal Slime Sword and Spear and, best of all, the Rank 10 hammer, "Groundbreaker"!

Well the postman failred to delivery Mario All Stars or Donkey Kong Country Returns, but he was nice enough to deliver my Japanese Famicom copies of Dragon Quest II and Dragon Quest III! Now I just need DQIII for GBC, DQIV and DQVII. Might pick up DQV for PS2 as well.

Edited by Ike

LOL, keep going!
Got there yesterday:
dqixmax.jpg

Wouldn't have happened if DKC:R arrived on time, but it didn't so there you go. :heh:

What's your best Grotto like? Mine is level 98, has two Rank 9 chests and one Rank 10, with Tyrannosaurus Wrecks at the end (which is one I really want the drop from). I kept playing though it last night and got a spare Metal Slime Sword and Spear and, best of all, the Rank 10 hammer, "Groundbreaker"!
I've got a level 99 one, but it's actually not very good (think I may have deleted it even). The first grotto I got that had PJK's is very good, it's got two Rank 10 chest on the same floor right next to each other! :awesome:

Anyway, I'm probably not going to be playing this much now (GoldenEye and DKC:R will be stealing the majority of my gaming time for the rest of this year ;)). I'll still dip into this every so often though for the DLC stuff.

Any idea when that tower with the sleeping monster is going to come into play?

Any idea when that tower with the sleeping monster is going to come into play?

I think it's the last DLC we'll get, so probably around July.

Got there yesterday:
dqixmax.jpg

Wouldn't have happened if DKC:R arrived on time, but it didn't so there you go. :heh:

Well done! It's nice to see the award for a Minstrel.

I've got a level 99 one, but it's actually not very good (think I may have deleted it even). The first grotto I got that had PJK's is very good, it's got two Rank 10 chest on the same floor right next to each other! :awesome:

I had rather good luck yesterday, receiving a Poker, Bad Axe and a Meteorang from the same chest, to go with my Bright Staff and Dragonlord Claws. Then I fought T-Wrecks and it went like this:

Tyrannosaurus Wrecks drops a gold bar

Gutted.

Gra manages to steal an angel's robe

Yess!!!

Gra manages to steal a gold bar

Crazy!

Oh, by the way, does anyone know if any of the Quests will be "Defeat Legacy Boss X in Y number of turns"? I'm reluctant to level them up to 99 (defeating them at that level is my ultimate goal) if that will be the case.

To my knowledge there are no "defeat legacy boss in set turns" quests. Once the story quests are over, the normal quests become rather mundane, but plenty give you excellent items.

The "sleeping creature in tower" chain quest starts at 159-162, with the last story quest at 163.

Hah. Seeing you guys still at it, has given me a lift finish the few things left to do. I was supposed to be playing through grottoes with my bro, but everyday for seemingly months he messed me around, until I lost patience with the game and gave up from boredom.

To do: find a VERY high grade water level, defeat the 4 unique enemies that appear there (prime slime, seaverns, drakulord, bling badger). Still got a few legacy bosses to do, and need the map drop from Greynarl. I still can't believe I haven't got the busty bustier quest done. All those chests, logging onto wifi when it was the week it was available. Just ridiculous.

Revocation is time-consuming...I got all the revocate items (even though most of them are naff) and got Gladiator to star.

Alchemy List at 80%. When i relaized how many Agates you needed i think my spirit broke. 302 hours, oh yeah.

Anyone getting xmas cakes yet?

To my knowledge there are no "defeat legacy boss in set turns" quests. Once the story quests are over, the normal quests become rather mundane, but plenty give you excellent items.

Thanks for that. I agree, the normal Quests aren't as good as the story Quests, although I'm finding the post-game Quests better than the main-game Quests, as presumably they'll expect you to have all the traits maxed. Defeating a Restless Armour with Pincushion was my least favourite! Literally had to create three new characters. Oh well, I'm totally up to date with them now.

To do: find a VERY high grade water level, defeat the 4 unique enemies that appear there (prime slime, seaverns, drakulord, bling badger). Still got a few legacy bosses to do, and need the map drop from Greynarl. I still can't believe I haven't got the busty bustier quest done. All those chests, logging onto wifi when it was the week it was available. Just ridiculous.

Keep at it, because high quality Grottoes have lots of chests with Dangerous Bustiers in them, so it eventually gets to the point where you get lots in a row, like the Toughie Trousers etc.

Personally, I need the boss drops from Greygnarl and Fowleye, plus a few of the Rank 10 weapons (including the Stardust Sword, but I'd also like more Bad Axes), then I'm onto the Legacy bosses properly.

Alchemy List at 80%. When i relaized how many Agates you needed i think my spirit broke. 302 hours, oh yeah.

Yes, the Agates are one of the last obstacles. I find the hardest part to gather is the Sainted Soma, which are made with Lucida Shards and Astral Plumes, which can effectively be stolen or farmed, but it all takes time. It's worth checking the online shopping for them too, as well as chests.

Anyone getting xmas cakes yet?

Yeah, bought one in case I needed it for a Quest (like the birthday cake).

I took RedShell's advice and just kept doing "treasure runs" in Grottoes. In fact, I made notes and diagrams of how many chests each floor had. My latest one has seven Rank 9 chests and two Rank 10! I definitely recommend the quality of Grottoes named "World" or better (organising by Status doesn't tell you about quality, just which ones you've completed).

A long time ago darksnowman did a gallery of his characters, and I always meant to do the same, but I didn't have any full outfits. So, very late, but here's my response!

Gra-Erdrick.jpg

The brave leader, Gra is quite like the "Gra" from Dragon Quest VIII and various Zelda games! Starting as a Minstrel, he was always jealous of Dave being a Warrior. He's also jealous of Dave's Metal King gear, but feels obliged to wear "Erdrick's" or "Victorious" instead.

Gra was once a tireless Paladin, but can't quite be bothered to get back to level 99 at the moment!

Dave.jpg

Dave started out as a Warrior, then upgraded to a Gladiator and has never looked back. He's quite grateful Gra gave him some Seeds of Life and Strength, because this is his finalised vocation.

Kate.jpg

Sexy Kate had a great time as a Mage, throwing spells about, and upgraded naturally to Armamentalist, which she likes because of the bigger variety of outfits she can wear. Currently being a Gladiator for Grottoes and Legacy bosses, Kate wears Metal King Armour for the serious stuff, but Gra keeps putting her in the Sizzling Bikini for grinding!

Nigel-Toga.jpg

Nigel was a brilliant Priest and has been totally happy as a Sage. Gra informs him that, one day, he might have to turn back into a Priest, if the team really needs Insulate, or for Kate to take the Sage role.

And here's the full "armour" set dropped by Grotto bosses. :hmm:

Gra-Victorious.jpg

A long time ago darksnowman did a gallery of his characters, and I always meant to do the same, but I didn't have any full outfits. So, very late, but here's my response!

Lol I don't think I had any full sets of equipment in my snapshots. :heh:

Your team looks great, you hardcore so and so!

Lol I don't think I had any full sets of equipment in my snapshots. :heh:

Yeah, but you know how obsessive I am! I just wasn't ready to do it until I had the right stuff. ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

PS - The Erdrick's stuff is awesome. It's funny how it's better than some of the "top range" equipment, and it's also funny you still can't get the Armour or Gauntlets! Looking forward to seeing them.

Another event at HMVs with a Gamerbase is coming up where you can get a Mortamor map. While I'm all for events, they need to make them more accessible, I don't know of any HMV stores near me that has a Gamerbase.

Edited by Ike

I think you mean Dragon Quest 9. But anyway this is great news and proves that the DS is becoming the platform of choice for alot of games.

hey, i agree with you.

it would be a good start of DS. ha ha .

in fact, i know a little about this...you know.. i am newbie here. i don't know where to start...