NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

HD TV is the most overrated thing ever!

This topic has been beat to death already probably, but I'm posting this topic anyway.

I hooked up my 360 to my Phillips HD TV with the VGA cable. I chose the second highest resolution in the options, because that's as high as my TV would support, and I'm sorry, HD TV is the most overrated thing ever! Everyone seems to be wanking over it so much, and I just don't understand why.

Now don't get me wrong, it is nice. But I just don't see the big deal. I played GR: AW and Smackdown vs Raw on a standard definition TV, then played them on the HD TV, and I barely could notice any difference.

Is it just me who thinks this??

I thought this when i first went HD got it, Games dont look too much diffrent but menus, text etc does i think.

Dashboard looks lush.

EDIT: You will notice a Massive diffrence with a DVD to a HD-DVD mind, thats awsome.

Hmm I don't know, I went round to my mates house and played sonic demo on his SDTV and it was all blurry and such. I think HD is a vast improvement.

This maybe becuse the HDTV in GAME was badly set up, but i was into Project Gotham Racing 3 at the time and i had been playing it on my SDTV. I saw that the demo pod was HDTV, so i went over to see what all the fuss was about. All i saw was a jaggier version of PGR3, nothing else. Is this an issue with all HDTVs or just the pnes Microsoft puts on their demo pods?

I've still got my 360 hooked up to the HD TV now. I just don't get it, I really don't. The only time I noticed a significant difference, is when I played San Andreas on my 360, as it took away most of the aliasing. But that's about it.

1080p TV on Sky HD doesn't look that much better than standard. Definitely not £300 + £10 a month better, anyway.

Compare watchig, or playing a HD game, on a hd monitor/tv using a composite cable, then do the same with VGA, you will notice the difference, and it is big.

I hate going back to SD games, text is blurry and everything looks huge in 480i or 520i (PAL 60)

The problem is people talked so much about it, it created the myth that it improves graphics.

Try this, put some game on your computer, and change it's resolution to 720x480, I don't even think thats possible, but that's the resolution of an SDTV, even worse because most CRTs show half of that per frame. It looks obviously crappier than its intended high resolution form.

But, with games made for SDTVs, are optimized to take advantages of that and most people don't even care.

So, HDTV is good, but not as good as some people say it is.

Theres far more clarity and less blurred lines on HDTV, only downside is you get a crap load of screen splitting on larger TV's on some games.

The problem is people talked so much about it, it created the myth that it improves graphics.

Try this, put some game on your computer, and change it's resolution to 720x480, I don't even think thats possible, but that's the resolution of an SDTV, even worse because most CRTs show half of that per frame. It looks obviously crappier than its intended high resolution form.

But, with games made for SDTVs, are optimized to take advantages of that and most people don't even care.

So, HDTV is good, but not as good as some people say it is.

Yes, that must be it!! People have hyped it up so much, that it was always going to be a big disappointment to some one like me.

Theres far more clarity and less blurred lines on HDTV, only downside is you get a crap load of screen splitting on larger TV's on some games.

And most HDTVs, because they are plasma or LCD, can't do black properly.

I love how everyone is investing in HD TV now when organic LED (OLED) is just around the corner. It only has a few problems with lifespan of the blue diodes right now.

HD does indeed look fantastic.

I am using those HD pins (the blue, green and red things) that come with the Xbox, not sure what they're called. I was wondering what does the VGA cable do, does it make HD look better than what I'm currently using.

Was thinking of going HD for christmas, but I really want CRT rather than LCD or plasma and the only CRT HDTVs I know of (the samsung ones) sound like they have problems. Is it possible to get a scart to VGA adaptor and use a CRT monitor as a telly?

That says Phillips, not Sony :heh:

No it said Philips. Sony's Bravia line is one of the best LCD range around - FACT.

It probably looked shit becuase you have a Philips TV.

It's a good TV according to reviews I've seen of it.

Well, when you have a massive 72" screen there definitely is a difference (I don't have one I like looking around shops :P)

I remember looking at the big screens when there wasn't HD, and was wondering why anyone would buy such crap as it all was really pixelly and bad quality.

Well, I've got a HDTV downstairs but rarely have chance to use my Xbox with it cause of couch potato family, but when I do it's fantastic. I definitely want to get one for my room, and as soon as I've got my Wii I'm going to save up for one.

Sign in to follow this