NEurope
The Bard

Trivium - The Crusade

Right, got Trivium's new album on Monday, the day it came out, seeing as they're such a talented bunch of well, muppets really.

TriviumTheCrusade.jpg

So far its been good listening, the first time I heard it I was pretty fucking incredulous, some of the lyrics in particular are...well, pseudo-deep meaningful types and I suppose they do offer some commentary, but it doesn't feel effective as such, and maybe a bit rushed. But anyway, the songs are really growing on me, the musicality is showing through. I just wish they didn't start the album with "Ignition" because it is oh so very bland that it makes me want to cry. The rest of the songs, with perhaps the exception of "And Sadness Will Sear" which reminds me a little of metallicas "the thing that should not be" (another song I don't approve of), the entire album is a stonker great development for the band, but it's a grower, don't be surprised if you're a little "OMFG, STFU" the first time you hear it.

So: Lets talk, what do you lot think? Is it good? A bit shit? Are Trivium "liek totally not metal" or a bunch of cocky shits?

I was one of the supporters of Trivium when everyone else gave them a bad rap. They clearly do have talent unfortunately i've just grown bored of their older stuff and the vocals do begin to annoy me. I heard one of their new songs at Download 2006, which to be honest, seemed like a Metallica rip off. I also don't like this crap going round that they are the 'New Metallica'. Sorry but that's bollocks, it ain't ever going to happen considering Metallica themselves are still going. I hate the way some bands get rocketed to stardom undeservedly. Don't get me wrong the're a talented bunch but I can think of so many more deserving bands who should be getting more attention. I have no money for CD's at the moment so it's going to be ages before I give this album a listen but to be honest, if it hasn't changed dramatically from their older stuff I probably won't bother.

Yeah, I first got into them a couple of months before they released Ascendancy, cause there was this half page article in Metal Hammer, and I quite liked, I never expected for them to get this huge, but I think in some ways, they deserve it, of course a lot of other bands deserve success too, but such is life.

As for being different to earlier stuff, it is: very. And as for the metallica comparison, let me remind everyone that metallica, contrary to popular belief, didn't invent thrash. I mean come on, it's like comparing Bach to paul gilbert, they play remarkably similar music but just because one came before the other, the latter gets so much stick for it. Theres nothing bad about sounding like your influences. Anyway, some of the stuff is uber technical, but never so that it gets out of hand (Meshuggah come to mind).

I got the album today, not had a chance to listen to it yet though but really looking forward to it. Ascendency is one of my fav albums. And i can't wait to see these guys open for Iron Maiden, finally Maiden have found a band worthy of opening for them, YAY, its gonna be weird being at a Maiden gig and not being totally bored during the opening act

Im not sure whether to like them or not.

Go to the iron maiden forums and they all think trivium are rubbish-wannabes.

They will never be the new metallica, no one ever will, they're just too good. James Hetfield is such a legend, i dont see how The Bard prefers megadeth - yeah they're good but not a patch on metallica.

As for Trivium, i think theyre technically quite good but im not sure if i like their ascendancy album, with metallica+maiden albums i want to listen to them again and again, but with Triv, i dont have any motivation to put it on.

i dont see how The Bard prefers Megadeth -

Heh, oh you will newbie, you will :heh:. It's not so much a matter or prefering them, I mean, they both write kickass metal songs and I love them far more than is healthy, but with Megadeth, they have so much staying power, they never cease to amaze you with their skillful and prolific work, and yet how they make it seem soooo easy, the riffs just roll off their guitars, it's truly mindblowing. I've never been so wowed by a band as I have been by the deth. Go listen to Holy Wars, or Take No Prisoners, or Wake Up Dead or Tornado of Souls. Metallicas talent lied largely with Cliff Burton, their best work was ...And Justice, which just has his influence all over it. To me they died in 1994 with Load. I think they're pretty much tied, but time after time, when I find myself getting bored of listening to metal all the time, I go to either Yasunori Mitsuda, or Megadeth, on a scale of one to awesome, they're super great. =S

As for not being "sure whether to like them or not," I really don't think liking a band is ever a conscious decision, unless you're one of those know nothing black metal eletists, don't pay any attention to what the Maiden guys say, just listen and think about it for a while, it'll come to you.

I can tell it's shit just by looking at the cover.

If someone had asked me just this morning whether the fine folks of N-E could have had any less respect for you, I would have said, no, thats not possible, but well done here you've gone and pulled it off. The only problem is, I'm fresh out of blue ribbons, so you're gonna have to settle for a lifetime supply of my foot up your ass.

And your avatar annoys me. I seriously hope it's not you, because noone should have to put up with being born looking like the wrong end of a dogs turd.

Ok im saying this just to let you know i read your post. But to be honest i really dont know anything about metal rock or any music. I like to think i know things though in fact i dont. Yes im a newbie, but i listen to metallica and just find their work mind-blowing. I just love it. You can go on about Megadeth all you like but i will always like Metallica more, even if megadeth are technically better. When I listen to Orion i just think its absolutely the most legendary track ive ever heard.

Oh im jabbering on now ill just shut up.

Its too late for me im going to bed. Ill read your next post but wont reply to it if thats ok

bye

If someone had asked me just this morning whether the fine folks of N-E could have had any less respect for you, I would have said, no, thats not possible, but well done here you've gone and pulled it off. The only problem is, I'm fresh out of blue ribbons, so you're gonna have to settle for a lifetime supply of my foot up your ass.

And your avatar annoys me. I seriously hope it's not you, because noone should have to put up with being born looking like the wrong end of a dogs turd.

Tsk, it's not my fault you have no sense of humour. And no, the picture in my avatar is not me.

Ok im saying this just to let you know i read your post. But to be honest i really dont know anything about metal rock or any music. I like to think i know things though in fact i dont. Yes im a newbie, but i listen to metallica and just find their work mind-blowing. I just love it. You can go on about Megadeth all you like but i will always like Metallica more, even if megadeth are technically better. When I listen to Orion i just think its absolutely the most legendary track ive ever heard.

Oh im jabbering on now ill just shut up.

Its too late for me im going to bed. Ill read your next post but wont reply to it if thats ok

bye

Wow, you actually sound just like me lol. When I first heard Orion I was like, Ok, this is officially the most awesome thing known to man, I didn't think I could like anything more, and to be honest there isn't much that I do, I love Metallica so much it's ridiculous, but when after you've listened to the songs maybe two to three hundred times, your reasons for listening to them change you know? They're not as fun as they were, so I listen to them less often so they're still great, but when you start dissecting the songs you get more from Megadeth by far than from Metallica, it makes you a much better player. I mean, no matter how much I enjoy the music, at the end of the day it's always going to be about what it does for me, beyond listening to it for the fun of it (which is just fine, but when you're a young musician, you tend to want a little more), when I've tried to learn or pin down the time sigs/ tab Megadeth songs, I've been left completely blown away by the painstaking detail of it all, that all that I was trying to say. But at the end of the day, I love them both equally. I think if you give it a little time you'll start to like em too.

Also: I didn't mean newbie in an insulting way or anything...

Tsk, it's not my fault you have no sense of humour. And no, the picture in my avatar is not me.

Thank god for that.

And:

You need to read up on the basics of humour, you fool. You can't just come into some place, and say some retarded thing thats not even remotely funny in order to offend people, and when confronted go "oh it was a joke, you have no sense of humour." n00b.

I got the album today, not had a chance to listen to it yet though but really looking forward to it. Ascendency is one of my fav albums. And i can't wait to see these guys open for Iron Maiden, finally Maiden have found a band worthy of opening for them, YAY, its gonna be weird being at a Maiden gig and not being totally bored during the opening act

Oh, I didn't know you liked em, awesome. You're actually one of the few I know that aren't like "trivium suck they shouldn't open for Maiden." But it's good. Just do yourself a favour: Skip the opening track "Ignition"...it's um, pretty bad :heh: Anyway, good thing you wont have to put up with funeral for a friend this time :heh:.

Okay ive decided to reply.

I agree with you that if you listen to a song loads of times it gets crap. Like i had Master of Puppets in my CD player for a month and then it got boring. Although at that point i didnt take much notice in orion cause its near the end, but then one night when all was quiet i played it on its own and gave it a good listen, instead of having it as background noise, and i just thought it was great.

As for megadeth my favourite songs are Peace Sells and good mourning.

oh well

You can probably spot something - im being an absolute idiot my comparing all of metallicas good songs to one album of megadeths peace sells (if you noticed my favourite two tracks were off that album), so im already being totally unfair, but im kind of thinking that megadeths other work would be similar in style, and im not a fan of the singer.

In fact i saw on wikipedia that the singer used to be in metallica, but that isnt really relevant anyway.

Nah, I'm not saying that it gets crap, it just gets repetitive, If you wait a while before trying it again, you'll remember why you liked it in the first place. Anyway, yeah, Rust In Peace is by far my favourite album, of all time even (Probably ties with And Justice, Hatebreeder and Whoracle). Peace Sells is stupidly amazing too, but different, in that you have to give it a hell of a lot of time to grow on you. The first time I heard it, I absolutely hated it, thought it was the most boring thing I'd ever heard, that was about 4 years ago actually. Rust In Peace is different in that I loved it the first time though, and theres the point of Mustaines voice too, thats something you have to get used to aswell. I love it now, I really do, his singing and lyrics are great, but nothing, and I mean nothing will ever compare to his guitar playing, I even went and bought his signature guitar cause I want to be Dave Mustaine so bad lol. Anyway, um try Symphony of Distruction, Tornado of Souls, In My Darkest Hour or even Disconnect etc, those are instantly lovable.

Dave Mustaine wrote a lot of Metallicas songs aswell: He wrote:

Call of the Ktulu

The Four Horsemen

Jump In The Fire

Metal Militia

Parts of RTL

etc.

He wrote call of the ktulu. Cool. I dont even know how to pronounce that.

Anyway, nice talking but its goodbye from me for today. And check below my sig. I changed it so it was similar to yours, but a different 'gag'.

Bye now.

He wrote call of the ktulu. Cool. I dont even know how to pronounce that.

Anyway, nice talking but its goodbye from me for today. And check below my sig. I changed it so it was similar to yours, but a different 'gag'.

Bye now.

Lol, cool, anyway, yeah, talk to you later dude ;). I gotta go pwn some n00bs on F-Zero anyway :D.

trivium indeed suck have tryed and tryed to get into them but i just see them as a crappy metallica wannabe band

Lawl, they're nothing like Metallica - At all. It's just their vocalist sounds a lot like Hetfield on their new album, musically, they're a tad more technical than Metallica. I quite like them, some pretty crazy shit.

Ive heard one song from the album, - anthem it was pretty good, but Im not into the whole chanting thing..

Im going to see Iron Maiden in December with afew friends, seeing as Trivium are supporting ive tried to "get into" them but not suceeded i want to like them but i cant :S

Okay, i have one thing to say:

Boat, Rudder, Strange Mountain

Haha, thats the funniest thing I've seen for some time, man his pronunciation sucks ma balls.

Wheres King Boo?? He's like the only person here who has a reason attatched to his opinions, the rest of you peons are just like "Trivyum r teh suXX0rZ."

Checked some of their songs on youtube. I can't see how they resemble metallica that much, but that might depend on the songs. They do sound like an american metal band though.

I've heard worse metal than this.

A few things.

Fields first comment made me chuckle.

Metallica, suck, but thats my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I think they're good musicians, I just don't like their songs.

I enjoyed a few songs off Ascendancy (sp?), I've heard Detonation off the new album and I don't really like it, I think this album for me is an impulse sales buy. Maybe one day it will be £7 in HMV and I may consider to buy it. But I won't rush out to get it.